Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long can u wait after a deer is killed to field dress it and then process it with out refridgeration on a day in the 70's, t

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...from capodastro wrote 13 hours 58 min ago
    i was just wondering how long u have until its time to toss it in the dumpster or give it back to nature so to speak...."

After reading the above post and thinking about it a bit:

"If there is any inkling of a doubt that I will not be able to dress out a deer before it spoils, I WILL NOT shoot it!"
    To allow "harvested" game literally, "go to waste" is a travesty!

Bubba

Comment

first bubba, i so completely agree, and live by that kind of philosophy for every aspect of life, no waste and complete respect for nature from trees to wildlife and everything in between!! but i was only asking because the deer was killed already by someone driving and i was just wondering if i could make use of it, so it did not die for nothing, but it sounds too risky both spoil wise and that the state of ct owns the wildlife unless u have a specific permit for the area and type of game, i dont want to risk my own hunting permit and lottery permit etc. but thanks to everyone for great advice as usual. love this website.

Comment

For taste the quicker the better. A friend of mine has hung a deer in 70 degree weather for 2 days inside a barn, it was field dressed quickly after shooting it, he claims it did not affect the flavor. I've helped a friend find and clean a deer the day after, and it was very gamey. You could still eat the meat of any rotting animal if it's cooked enough but it won't taste good at all, people did it all the time before refrigeration.

Comment

I realize this was a bit ago. But for others searching...and find this. It was mentioned

"from capodastro wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

i was just wondering cause i saw a deer dead on the side of the road and it was a faun...

at least where I live in Michigan and I think almost everywhere else, Fawns are off limits unless your DNR and have special collection permits.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
            I have a rancher friend in Texas who hunts on his own place. He field-dresses the deer immediately, and hauls it off to one of his outbuildings, where he skins it while the carcass is still warm. He peels the skin off like it was a banana.
            Then the butchering begins, and the packaged parts are immediately put in the freezer with labels showing the contents and the date, with his initials. I never asked, but he may have eaten some before the barrel on his rifle had cooled down.
            Gut immediately, then off to the skin shed and then butcher it. I always age my deer, usually a week or so at about 40 degrees, after I've butchered it.

Comment

There's to many variables to put a definite time on it, but the faster the better. I field dress immediately upon locating the animal unless I happen to be close to the house and can get it quartered and refrigerated quickly.

Comment

At 70, gut it skin it, quarter,and cool it asap. The bacteria that can come from it in a short ammount of time is substantial.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                  99explorer
                  There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                  It would become South Alberta....
                  Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                  fitch270
                  Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                  Today, 12:09 AM
                • Illegals buying guns
                  labrador12
                  If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                  Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                  Harmonious Fulmination
                  In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                  Today, 12:02 AM
                • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                  fitch270
                  The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                  Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X