Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long can u wait after a deer is killed to field dress it and then process it with out refridgeration on a day in the 70's, t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long can u wait after a deer is killed to field dress it and then process it with out refridgeration on a day in the 70's, t

how long can u wait after a deer is killed to field dress it and then process it with out refridgeration on a day in the 70's, temp wise.

I field dress the deer pretty quick, within 5-10 minutes. I've stuffed deer with block ice and kept them wrapped for a few days in that kind of temp. Wrapping them helps keep the bugs off which is the real problem in that temp. The meat has always turned out fine though.

Comment

i was just wondering how long u have until its time to toss it in the dumpster or give it back to nature so to speak.

Comment

i'd get it gutted asap and get the body cavity filled with ice. then, if available i get it quartered and into a fridge.

Comment

ASAP!!!

In temps below 60, you may have a bit more time.
          I'm a real advocate of field dressing as soon as possible. I try to remove the animal from my "hunting" area, but even if I'll be home in less that 30 minutes, I'll field dress before leaving.
          First off, I don't have to haul off entrails.
          Second, the quicker you get it refridgerated, the better the quality of the meat.
          Good luck, good hunting.

Bubba

Comment

You would probably be O.K. for a couple or three hours with meat from the hams and backstrap, but you need to get it into a cooler with some ice ASAP.

Comment

I always field dress immediatly after locateing the deer( 70 or -10) your going to want to get that meat cooling and it just wont do that with the insides in. plus who wants to drag out all that extra weight? as others have stated if its really warm stop by a gas station on the way home and buy bagged ice and put the bags in the body cavity.

Comment

i was just wondering cause i saw a deer dead on the side of the road and it was a faun and I had not seen it 5 hours earlier, I also wanted to get some practice in dressing and skinning, and in the future harvesting some large game that way, any suggestions or should i just leave it be? its a lot of meat....

Comment

When I used to work in a slaughter house, the USDA gave us 1 hour. Considering that the rest of their regulations were pretty conservative, I would think 2 hours would be safe, not ideal, but safe. Of course, if you have a busted gut or something, you can be in trouble almost immediately.

With your road kill, I would be hesitant, but consider it. I would look really closely at the animal and see if I could get any indication of how long it had been there. If the blood is flowing or clotted, I would consider it. If the exposed blood is dried, I would pass. If there is any sign of rigor mortis, I would pass. If the eyes are clear, wet and shiny, I would consider it, if they are dry and dull or cloudy no thanks.

Obviously, proceed at your own risk! I do admire the frugality.

Comment

I have killed a doe early in the hunt and waited on a buck until dark, then recovered the first deer. That's what 2-3 hours. I will gut the deer immediately then get it in the cooler ASAP. Never had any problems.

Comment

I have a rancher friend in Texas who hunts on his own place. He field-dresses the deer immediately, and hauls it off to one of his outbuildings, where he skins it while the carcass is still warm. He peels the skin off like it was a banana.
                      Then the butchering begins, and the packaged parts are immediately put in the freezer with labels showing the contents and the date, with his initials. I never asked, but he may have eaten some before the barrel on his rifle had cooled down.

Comment

I agree with the others ASAP, the meat wil start to turn pretty fast at 70+ degrees and it is vital to get it prepared right for safety and for taste.

Comment

And as for the roadkill I would leave it be depending on where you are. In Montana it is illegal to take game animals without a tag, even if they were hit buy a vehicle. The state workers will remove them from the side of the road if they need to be moved, but others are to not touch them.

Comment

Field dress and skin immediately, then quarter and get on ice ASAP!

Comment

This is why I want to hunt up North, not for bigger antlers, but because of warm early season temperatures. No problem though, I take 60lbs of ice and 3 ice chest one very large one medium size and one that will hold 8-12 oz cans all with ice and frozen recycled milk containers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Red Dot's
                                by PigHunter
                                Jimbo, I've used a red dot scope on my crossbow and it was great in low light at the short distances I needed (up to 50 yards). However, the dot washed...
                                Today, 10:10 AM
                              • Red Dot's
                                by jhjimbo
                                What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential....
                                Today, 09:41 AM
                              • Reply to Red Dot's
                                by fitch270
                                I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them,...
                                Today, 09:48 AM
                              • Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                They can also create organs right now with 3d printing. Dr. mentioned that on Tucker show.
                                Univ of Pittsburg has been growing organs for years...
                                Today, 09:44 AM
                              • Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X