Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was taught in the Army to always carry a peice of extra rope with you. You never know when it would come in handy. In carrying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was taught in the Army to always carry a peice of extra rope with you. You never know when it would come in handy. In carrying

I was taught in the Army to always carry a peice of extra rope with you. You never know when it would come in handy. In carrying this rope I have heard a story told by many people about taking the rope and putting it around where you are sleeping and no snake would cross it and get near you to stay warm. It is said they think it is another snake, (if someone knows what a snake is thinking) and will not crawl across it. Has anyone heard this story and has anyone used it? Has anyone seen a snake refuse to crawl over it? Thank you for your help and time. May GOD bless you all.

I do not think that story is true at all, unless your talking about harmless snakes that are afraid of being eaten themselves. We have lots of blacksnakes around here (non poisonous) that make a point of looking for other creatures to eat.

Comment

i think it could be true but i doubt it. if i were a snake and saw sum1 stealin my heat...if bite their face off! lol

Comment

It is a myth. Snakes will crawl over rope the same way they crawl over other obstacles. I have slept in the desert in a bivvy sack many nights and never had a snake problem. They mostly avoid humans if they can. Always check your bag before you get in for unwanted visitors, same with your boots in the AM. A good rule for the desert (or anywhere) is do not reach in anywhere you can't see. Be safe out there.

Comment

A rope is no different than any other stick a snake slithers over evry day. snakes detect heat and vibrations that alert them to the presence of other animals- a rope gives off niethor.

Comment

I haven't heard that tail in at least 40 years! We use to do that when we were kids comping out in the back yard. We lived in the country where there were lots of snakes and never got bit.

Comment

haven't you all seen the national geographic shows where they have the "mating balls" of snakes? There have to be 20-30 male snakes attempting to mate with a female and it is one big writhing ball. Gives me the heebes just thinking about it. For this reason, I would think this is nothing but a myth.

Comment

Where I grew up, cowboys swore if you put a horse hair rope around your bed roll no snake would cross it because of the stiff hairs protruding from the rope. It is pure myth. As a young man to test this theory, I caught several rattle snakes, dropping them inside a hair rope circle, and they would slither out as quick as you could put them in. My audience was sitting on top of various fence posts laughing their heads off. Obviously, I won the bet.

Comment

It's not true but sometimes a comforting thought for someone who is afraid and can't sleep.

Comment

I would think that to be a myth, maybe need to submit it to mythbusters. I would think that it would only work if the rope was for some reason warmer or colder than the surrounding air, otherwise I doubt a snake would even know it is there.

Comment

You got me. I haven't tested it as some have, but I am forced to admit I believed it until listening to you folk.

Comment

That's a new one to me. Good theory though! Unless of coarse it's mating season.

Comment

nice story but it cant be true

Comment

It's not True?

Comment

HOW ABOUT SNOW SNAKES ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad