Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do I do when I'm being chased by a bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do I do when I'm being chased by a bear?

hold your breath, turn around, take your time, aim and shoot it dead, dont miss or your toast

Comment

Step one: Put your head between your legs
      Step two: Kiss your a$$ goodbye

Comment

Drop your pack if you have one. This could be your best chance of distracting the bear. If you stay calm, it may get preoccupied with your pack, especially if it contains food and allow for a clean getaway. If the bear has already started chasing you and it’s you it’s after, I would revert to the previous two answers.

Comment

May I add to jfose140

It’s obvious your not going to out run the bruin, drop to the ground, curl up drawing both your face and knees into your chest and place both hands behind your neck and try not to make a sound.

Comment

1) Make sure if going to bear country to bring a fat friend.
            2) You dont have to be the fastest to out run a bear, you just cant be the slowest, hence the reason you brought a fat friend. Just make sure you out run your friend and the bear will not get you.

Comment

Throw it a jar of honey! That one in my kids Hundred Acre Woods books sure seemed to like it! LOL

Comment

Clay gave the best suggestions. Sort of standard operating procedure. Additionally if you have a backpack, dropping it is not a good idea as we have had a number of backpackers attacked in Wyoming and Montana and the backpack absorbed much of the scratching and biting inflicted by the bear.

Comment

... unless it's a black bear, of course. Fight back unless you want to become bear dung.

Comment

1.) Carry bear pepper spray. Experts recommend that hikers in bear country carry with them bear pepper spray. Bear pepper spray is a highly concentrated capsaicin spray that creates a large cloud. This stuff will usually stop a bear in it’s tracks.
                    2.) Don’t run. When you run, the bear thinks you’re prey and will continue chasing you, so stand your ground. And don’t think you can out run a bear. Bears are fast. They can reach speeds of 30 mph.
                    3.) Drop to the ground in the fetal position and cover the back of your neck with your hands. If you don’t have pepper spray or the bear continues to charge even after the spray, this is your next best defense. Hit the ground immediately and curl into the fetal position.
                    4.) Play dead. Grizzlies will stop attacking when they feel there’s no longer a threat. If they think you’re dead, they won’t think you’re threatening. Once the bear is done tossing you around and leaves, continue to play dead. Grizzlies are known for waiting around to see if their victim will get back up.

Pepper Spray ...

http://www.udap.com/

Comment

One of those situations where you need to be able to think on your feet. Having a firearm or bear spray would be a good start, if not, and it charges climb a tree, find a club, throw rocks, yell, make yourself look as big and mean as possible, just fight to survive, I am not a big fan of the play dead idea, unless it is on you and you have no other choice, then maybe give that a try.

Comment

shoot it!

Comment

if its Brown,...lay down. If its black,...Fight back!

Comment

if you are carrying a pistol make sure you file off the front site so that when the bear shoves it up your butt it comes out easier

Comment

agree with steve!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad