Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is flint better to start a fire than waterproof matches. Because I have figured out it would just be easier to light a match th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is flint better to start a fire than waterproof matches. Because I have figured out it would just be easier to light a match th

Is flint better to start a fire than waterproof matches. Because I have figured out it would just be easier to light a match than sit there hoping to get a flame.

I would agree matches are easier. However, when your last match blows out, then what? I would recommend carrying both or if you don't have room, take the flint. It doesn't exactly carry a strike capacity.

Comment

Ya’Came to the right place Mister!

Looking for something that really works and works even after being wet for a long long time! Well by’golly get’ya a small jar of good old fashion Vaseline from and a magnesium fire starter stick from your local Wal-Mart. So simple of an operation I bet David can do it. Take a 2x2 inch piece of cloth and saturate it with Vaseline and scrape a little magnesium on it and hit it with the flint side and now you have instant fire 6 to 10 minutes of flame, now compare that with any other lighter and remember you haven’t really used your fire starting resources at all. I still got the same Vaseline jar in my back pack some 10 years ago and still work as good as the day I put it in.

Comment

I haven't used anything but flint and steal to start a fire for years. I like teaching people to use it because they learn the essentials to "building" a fire, just not lighting one. If you know these essentials, then it makes a match fire even easier to light, even in bad conditions.
        Flint and steel always works, even wet.

Comment

When it comes to starting fires in survival situations you want to be able to get a fire started as fast as possible with the least amount of effort. That said, matches are definetly easier to use when it comes to starting a fire, but in a survival situation you want to have as many options as you can. The problem with waterproof matches is that you have to have a match striker to light them. You a far better off getting some good strike anywhere matches and putting them in a watertight match container. The benifit of the flint is that it will throw a shower of sparks even when it is soaking wet, and for the little bit of room it takes up, there's no sense in leaving it. If your really worried about getting a fire going, buy a butane torch lighter, this will light anything, but remember it will only work as long as the fuel doesn't run out..

Comment

Take both.

Comment

I always take both, the little box of matches wont take up any extra room

Comment

I recommend taking 2 boxes of waterproof, as well as strike anywheres, and flint and steel. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Comment

Take both.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the most important part of making fire in the outdoors, is preperation. Make sure you have all of your tinder, kindling, and fuel ready and on hand before you even light the match or strike the flint. You'd be surprised how many times people will get a flame going and not be able to keep it going because they forgot to prepare.

Comment

bring both flint can be used more and wont get ruined if wet but matches are usually a lot easier

Comment

use the matches first and just have the flint for a backup

Comment

matches are easier to use and you should test matches before you go. I always keep a flint and steel handy though. waterproof matches by dipping the head in wax or clear nail polish.

Comment

Thanks you guys it really helped.

Comment

I usually carry three different forms to start fires with me. I still prefer Flint and steel with char cloth

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad