Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer your home made jerky if so want to share the recipe? or store bought and which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer your home made jerky if so want to share the recipe? or store bought and which one?

Do you prefer your home made jerky if so want to share the recipe? or store bought and which one?

i prefer homemade, but don't make it as often as i used to. I just marinade in a ziplock in a salty briney liquid made from A1, soy sauce, worcheshire, beer and/or whiskey, hot sauce, etc. with some garlic powder and pepper. I rarely follow recipes. After 24 hours in the marinade it goes in the dehydrator for about 5-6 hours. I borrow one. If you dont have access, you can use your oven set to its lowest temp. It helps if you have baking racks so it has airflow 360 degrees.

Comment

When i kill a deer i ask the butcher to make some jerky for me. it is like 3 bucks a pound. and it tastes good.

Comment

I buy the stuff at wallyworld. Cheapest around, tastes good and I don't have to make it. Can't remember the brand.

Comment

Be careful Del, if it comes from wallyworld it may (likely) contain melamine and/or lead, for reasons unknown to me.

Comment

I make my own at home using hamburger...I made a batch this week using moose burger but any meat will do...All you need is a jerky gun (found at any outdoor store) and a food dehydrator...this is a basic recipe that leaves room for your own personal preferences...recipe is as follows:

1 lb. ground meat (venison, elk, moose, etc)
            2 tsp. salt (canning is best)
            1/4 tsp. pepper
            1 tsp. chili powder
            1 tsp. garlic powder
            1 tsp. onion powder
            1 tbsp liquid smoke

Mix all the ingredients WELL and refrigerate for a few hours...Mix again and load your jerky gun...I like to make strips approx 8" long...dry according to your dryers specs and enjoy...you can also add or subtract different flavors of liquid smoke to your own personal taste, I like the hickory but mesquite is also good...

Comment

I keep it simple vinegar, natural salt, fresh black pepper, cayenne pepper. Brine it for a day. Smoke very mildly at low temp for an hour.Finish it off in the dehydrator.

Comment

I have always prefered home made jerky (and everthing else home made.)

Comment

I made venison jerky from a Cabela's mix at a girlfriend's house. She came home, took a whiff, and forbid me from ever doing it again. Tasted great, though.

Comment

i make my own jerky it is the best!

Comment

My secret ingredient is brown sugar. Gives it a sweet glaze. Jerky doesn't last long in my house.

Comment

peppered jerky.

Comment

i prefer home jerky like peppered jerky.

Comment

My kid makes deer and elk jerky from ground meat much like Kingfisher's recipe. The kid does add brown sugar and some red pepper which give its a "sweet and hot" flavor. He uses a dehydrator that he bought at a yard sale which was just like new and he had about worn it out. The jerky usually does not last long either especially if some of his buddies show up.

Comment

I like store bought jerky at Walmart I get Jack Links they have many different good flavors but I think my favorite is the peppered.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad