Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is keeping gasoline in a plastic waterproof match container a good idea for starting a quick fire when needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    No gasoline but you can have this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/FastFire-Tinder-Refill-Pack-White/dp/B004XXVJU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413658277&sr=8-1&keywords=fast+fire

Leave a comment:

• PAShooter
    replied
    no

Leave a comment:

• jscottevans
    replied
    if you want to increase you odds of having problems, sure go ahead

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Gasoline, lighter fluid, etc. is volatile and evaporates into explosive fumes until gone. The only petroleum product I could endorse, and do whole heartedly, is petroleum jelly (vaseline) smeared on cotton balls.

Leave a comment:

• faze631
    replied
    whatever happened to keeping a rolled up newspaper in your sleeping bag or pack

Leave a comment:

• doubleganger
    replied
    I just wanted to make one correction to the above. The back of a stainless steel knife in fact does not produce sparks when used with a natural flint as in the old flint and steel method of fire starting. It must be high carbon. However stainless steel or even broken glass in a pinch can be used to scrape a spark from a ferrocerium rod such as is on the magnesium block fire starters. The best scraper is tungsten carbide such as the handy sharp knife sharpener or a carbide paint scraper blade. As far as the magnesium blocks, I haven't found them to be that useful. If there is any wind at all it will blow the shavings away faster than you can scrape and if you use Vaseline saturated cotton balls you don't need it anyway. If the cotton is not too saturated and you fluff it up a bit it will start just fine from the sparks from a ferrocerium rod. I prefer the bigger ferrocerium rods without the magnesium block. One warning about the ferrocerium rods is that it's my understanding that salt water will corrode them away, though I can't vouch for that from personal experience.

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    Absolutely not. Use that space for cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly. Will be much much safer, burn longer and works great.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    Hell no!!! use sock lint or vaseline covered cottonballs.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Gasoline is close to suicide, use a road flare or the vasoline trick. if you use gas you will at a minmum lose the hair off one hand and probably worse

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Thanks you guys.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    I work in an ER as a Trauma RN. I have seen many people come in who tried to start a fire with gasoline. Bad idea!!!!
    Learn basic fire building skills and you will never ask about gasoline or other liquid fire starters again.

Leave a comment:

• rooster01
    replied
    Everyone wants to get a fire going as fast as possible . Take the time to prep your fire pit, and the kindeling. keep the gas in youre truck.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskanExile
    replied
    Gasoline in your pack is dangerous and not very useful.
    I use cotton balls saturated in Vaseline stored in a heavy plastic ziploc bag. I can be stored flat in almost any pocket or pouch in your pack. Pull out a cotton ball and light it, it will burn very hot for very long.
    I also keep a few tea-light candles. Very small candles in their own tin, buy them by the gross from wal-mart for about $5. These allow you to provide light and heat to a small space or to light a fire very easily, even when everything is wet. Reuseable and cheap.
    A magnesium fire starter with a flint down the back side is very useful, but keep with it a small section of carbon-steel hacksaw blade. The hacksaw blade allows you to make magnesium shavings easily and gives you something to make sparks with the flint. A stainless steel knife blade will not work to make sparks on the flint-side of the block. If you have a carbon steel knife blade you are ok.
    Practice with these items in your backyard so that you can use them to make fire, because when you are wet and cold and need a fire is not the time to start learning.
    AlaskanExile

Leave a comment:

• mattreney
    replied
    lighters are a lot better if the gas does leak it most likely wont catch anything on fire but will be soaked up into your gear that will leave an extremly strong odar. any animal will know your coming from miles away

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    You're asking for trouble with gasoline for all the above reasons. Pack a few candles and a bic lighter.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad