Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is keeping gasoline in a plastic waterproof match container a good idea for starting a quick fire when needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is keeping gasoline in a plastic waterproof match container a good idea for starting a quick fire when needed?

Is keeping gasoline in a plastic waterproof match container a good idea for starting a quick fire when needed?

I wouldnt suggest using gasoline....maybe diesel fuel. It would be safer to carry something dry like dryer lint....use it with some dry wood shavings and you will have a fire in no time.

Comment

I agree, the best fire tinder I have ever used is dryer lint, all you have to do is get a spark on it and it goes up quick. I would stuff a small zip lock bag full of dryer lint, throw it in your pack, and load the match container with good quality strike anywhere matches and fire will never be an issue for you.

Comment

I have to agree with jbonifer and sils. Use something dry and use strike anywhere matches. Wood shavings and dryer lint work great.

Comment

Does suicide mean anything to ya?

Gasoline will melt the plastic and leak out destroying anything it comes contact with and if it gets a spark or flame??

O’BROTHER!

Ya’Came to the right place Mister!

Looking for something that really works and I mean really works even after being stored wet for a long long time! Well by’golly get’ya a small jar of good old fashion Vaseline from and a magnesium fire starter stick from your local Wal-Mart. So simple of an operation I bet David can do it. Take a 2x2 inch piece of cloth and saturate it with Vaseline and scrape a little magnesium on it and hit it with the flint side and now you have instant fire 6 to 10 minutes of flame, now compare that with any other lighter and remember you haven’t really used your fire starting resources at all. I still got the same Vaseline jar in my back pack some 10 years ago and still work as good as the day I put it in.

Comment

I got stuck on a mountain in Oregon with two buddys of mine when we went dirtbike riding. It was around November cold and wet. After pooring about a gallon of gas on the fire with no result I cut the top of a Coke can off and poored gas into it. Dug a hole and put the can into it. Then we put the wood over the can. The only thing that burns is the fumes on top, it will not explode or anything like that. And it will last long enough to get the wet wood lit. The only problem with the lint is that it goes up quick, wet wood and your gonna be cold. If you have a safe way to carry it... I would.

Comment

PS 2oz of gas will last like 2oz of gas! Kinda like a popcorn fart, ya'know what I mean dar Vern!

Comment

I wouldent do it for a few reasons:
                1: If it leaks all of your stuff will get saturated
                2: Your pack will smell like gas for the rest of your life
                3: One spark could blow your entir back pack off, so that wouldnt be a fun hunting trip.

Comment

You're asking for trouble with gasoline for all the above reasons. Pack a few candles and a bic lighter.

Comment

lighters are a lot better if the gas does leak it most likely wont catch anything on fire but will be soaked up into your gear that will leave an extremly strong odar. any animal will know your coming from miles away

Comment

Gasoline in your pack is dangerous and not very useful.
                      I use cotton balls saturated in Vaseline stored in a heavy plastic ziploc bag. I can be stored flat in almost any pocket or pouch in your pack. Pull out a cotton ball and light it, it will burn very hot for very long.
                      I also keep a few tea-light candles. Very small candles in their own tin, buy them by the gross from wal-mart for about $5. These allow you to provide light and heat to a small space or to light a fire very easily, even when everything is wet. Reuseable and cheap.
                      A magnesium fire starter with a flint down the back side is very useful, but keep with it a small section of carbon-steel hacksaw blade. The hacksaw blade allows you to make magnesium shavings easily and gives you something to make sparks with the flint. A stainless steel knife blade will not work to make sparks on the flint-side of the block. If you have a carbon steel knife blade you are ok.
                      Practice with these items in your backyard so that you can use them to make fire, because when you are wet and cold and need a fire is not the time to start learning.
                      AlaskanExile

Comment

Everyone wants to get a fire going as fast as possible . Take the time to prep your fire pit, and the kindeling. keep the gas in youre truck.

Comment

I work in an ER as a Trauma RN. I have seen many people come in who tried to start a fire with gasoline. Bad idea!!!!
                          Learn basic fire building skills and you will never ask about gasoline or other liquid fire starters again.

Comment

Thanks you guys.

Comment

Gasoline is close to suicide, use a road flare or the vasoline trick. if you use gas you will at a minmum lose the hair off one hand and probably worse

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X