Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is another follow up question... from kolbsters, who takes their cellphone to the stand with them? I do but it's because I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is another follow up question... from kolbsters, who takes their cellphone to the stand with them? I do but it's because I

This is another follow up question... from kolbsters, who takes their cellphone to the stand with them? I do but it's because I lost a buddy who fell out of a treestand and didn't have one. Knowbody knew where he was hunting, and he fell and broke his back and damaged spleen and liver, he layed there for hours and died overnight. Maybe if he had one, he might have been able to call for help.

I always have my phone. k Many places i hunt dont have service though. I just lay it on silent in the blind and if it lights up i know somebody called.

Comment

Cell phones may sound nice, I carry "SPOT"!

findmespot.com

Comment

I take my cell phone, always leave the sound turned off though.

Comment

I generally take along my cell phone but Im looking at getting the SPOT...

Comment

I always take mine with me I just mute it and throw it in a zip top bag incase of emergencies. I get decent reception where I hunt, but if you do not I agree with Clay Cooper you should carry a "SPOT".

Comment

Sorry to hear about your buddy,wallofsam.
              I take my cell phone with me and place it in a plastic newspaper bag to keep moisture and condensation out of it.
              I usually keep it turned off, as the phone seems to wear down searching for cell towers. When I get to the top of a hill, I'll turn it back on to see if there are any messages.

Comment

I always carry my cell, but I turn it off. I have had the same experience with the phone searching for a signal and rapidly discharging the battery. I'm interested in technology like the SPOT or an EPIRB. How about a future review? Send me one, and I'll test it by getting lost!

Comment

No reception in some of the areas I hunt but I take it with me anyway. If they find me at least it will make it easier for authorities to locate someone that knows me. With all the positive comments on SPOT I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

I carry my cell phone for that exact reason. You never know what will happen even if you get lost at least you can call to let someone know to send help.

Comment

I always carry mine, even if i get no service in the area i'm hunting. If nothing else it's a compact camera when i'm successful. Keep it on silent. Many a day i was able to extend my time on stand, kill the boredom by sending a text or two to my wife. "oops, honey, i gotta go, there's a buck coming." Woulda' been outa there long before that if not able to pass the time and stay occupied. Killed a decent buck while waiting for a text.

Comment

I take mine. I put it on vibrate.

Comment

I always have my phone with me. You never know when you might need one. I also text with my buddies when we are hunting to keep track of where the deer are. Just put it on vibrate and your good to go.

Comment

i always have my cell phone with me, i always keep the sound turned off, but i sent lots of text messages while im sitting in the stand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad