Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hunt mostly whitetail deer with a .270 Browning X-bolt. I have been finding it tricky to find a constant supply of ammo in my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hunt mostly whitetail deer with a .270 Browning X-bolt. I have been finding it tricky to find a constant supply of ammo in my

I hunt mostly whitetail deer with a .270 Browning X-bolt. I have been finding it tricky to find a constant supply of ammo in my prefered load. I was thinking about starting to hand load my own ammo. I was looking at the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit on Cabela's website. Is this a solid kit to get me started? And is there any reference material that I could read to help get me started? any tips are greatly appreciated

It is a very good kit. It comes with "tips" and directions. The current edition of the Nosler and Hornady reloading guides also provide very good instructional sections.

Comment

Like kissing on your wife. You can't overdo buying reloading manuals. Those above are good but I like the Hodgdon's reloading manual too 'cause they include a huge variety of loads from other powder makers as well as their own.
      As far as Reloading gear some are as good but IMO none are better than RCBS. Just stay away from the Dillon crap. It's all pot metal and plastic and despite what they claim the customer service stunk the only time I called them. After that all my Dillon stuff went on sale. If you decide to go cheap go with Lee. Lee stuff in my experience works. Just isn't as nice as RCBS.

Comment

Forgot to add Dillon stuff IMO is cheap but not inexpensive.

Comment

If I looked at the kit you are talking about it is over 800 bucks and has the fancy electronic powder charger and scale. You do not need that thing to load for a hunting rifle. All you need is a powder trickler and a RCBS 1010 balance beam scale which BTW is much less money. I don't trust electronic scales anyhow after nearly blowing a rifle with overcharges done by a faulty Dillon electronic scale.

I would suggest you buy a good manual and read up on reloading before you buy any equipment. It might save you some money on stuff you don't need.

Comment

You can't go wrong with RCBS. Tney are the best.

Comment

You can't go wrong with RCBS. Tney are the best.

Comment

Thanks Del in KS and all for the info. I should of been more specific of the kit I was looking at. The kit I was looking at is listed at $289. This is a list of the things in the Kit:
                RC Supreme Press
                5-0-5 Powder Scale
                Uniflowâ„¢ Powder Measure
                Speer No. 14 Reloading Manual
                Hand Priming Tool
                Hex Key Set
                Case Loading Block
                Case Lube Kit
                Powder Funnel and Deburring Tool.

Comment

RCBS = solid. Your grandkids will enjoy using it.

Comment

RCBS is top of the line.

Comment

I have bassically no idea about han loads but howis it to shoot a x-bolt. I hear they are fun!

Comment

That's the same kit I have, I have reloaded a few thousand 454, 338, and 300s. I like it. I did get the electric scale to go with it. I treat it just like a regular powder dispenser and weigh about every 10 loads. Nosler and Hornady both have good reloading manuals.

Comment

I use Lee for all my loads handgun and rifle. Someone tried to sell my their RCBS stuff once and he told me that the dies would work in my Lee press. Is that true?

Comment

Sayer,
                            Dies and presses are pretty much interchangeable so it should work. Wilson dies are an exception.

Cmx412,

Thats a good kit the 505 scale is a smaller version of the 1010. Now you need a set of dies and a powder trickler will come in handy. There's about a hundred other things you will eventually want. One is a case trimer. If you are only going to load for one caliber RCBS makes dies for trimming cases with a file. Get a set of stainless steel dial calipers also. you need them to measure case length. and on and on...

Comment

Thanks Del

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad