Looking for a grain mill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a grain mill.

Recently found a local "niche" market for home ground whole wheat flour and cornmeal.
    I have one grain mill, but a second would mean I could have a dedicated wheat mill and a dedicated corn mill.

I would prefer a "Country Living" mill, but for the right price, would consider any brand.

Thanks fellas

Where did you get the first one? I'd start there.

On another thought, would you need a licence to sell processed foodstuffs?

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
      Where did you get the first one? I'd start there.

On another thought, would you need a licence to sell processed foodstuffs?
      I got the first one directly from "Country Living" somewhere between 1990 and 1991.
      It cost around $350.
      The same mill, updated a bit, is $600 today!
      My hopes are to locate a used mill that can be refurbished a bit and put in service.
      Sometimes people think, "Oh, I'm going to grind my own grain!"
      Thirty minutes later on a hand grain mill and they have half the flour needed for a single loaf of bread .... the grain mill goes into a closet/attic/store room/pantry and it's forgotten until mom stubs her toe on it!
      Then it either gets tossed out or relegated to "room decor" to rust and gather dust until the burrs are useless.
      So, if you don't mind, check about and see if you may have one stashed back somewhere!

franchi20, what I'm doing is considered a "cottage industry".
      To maintain that status:
      1) no low acid foods
      2) earn less than $75k annually

We're aren't getting rich by any means, but with $5/gal diesel, I'll take all the help I can get! LOL!
      ergo, getting a second mill on the cheap.

Comment

Have to spend money to make money. Don’t let a nickel hold up a dollar. Making money on your own is risky. Who cares if it is 600 bucks how much are you losing not servicing the available market. And if your going to actually run it as a business the cost will be offset as a tax write off for 3 years.
        Last edited by Milldawg; 08-09-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          Have to spend money to make money. Don’t let a nickel hold up a dollar. Making money on your own is risk. Who cares if it is 600 bucks how much are you losing not servicing the available market.
          I agree with you whole heartedly, but at the moment, I can meet demand with what I have.
          A second mill would just allow setting up for two different grains.

Plus - the mills come with a hand crank only!
          A 3/4 hp motor is about $200 plus pillow blocks and pulleys for a speed brake.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	16600651360981617265583276381142.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	800542
          You have to reduce a 1750 rpm motor to a 75 rpm mill.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I agree with you whole heartedly, but at the moment, I can meet demand with what I have.
            A second mill would just allow setting up for two different grains.

Plus - the mills come with a hand crank only!
            A 3/4 hp motor is about $200 plus pillow blocks and pulleys for a speed brake.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	16600651360981617265583276381142.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	800542
            You have to reduce a 1750 rpm motor to a 75 rpm mill.
            eBay and Amazon. Time is money I run a successful small business and have for a couple of years now. And I will spend money to make my operations faster and simpler. Time is the one thing I can’t make more of or buy. So money spent to save time and work
            long smarter is well spent from where stand. You could possibly get a servo motor and drive and do it much easier

Comment

eBay and Amazon. Time is money I run a successful small business and have for a couple of years now. And I will spend money to make my operations faster and simpler. Time is the one thing I can’t make more of or buy. So money spent to save time and work
              long smarter is well spent from where stand. You could possibly get a servo motor and drive and do it much easier
              Thanks, I'll look into it.

Comment

That's a neat speed reduction set up you have. Can you modify it to run 2 mills at once or move belts to run 1 at a time? Or a QD set-up to swap mills.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                  That's a neat speed reduction set up you have. Can you modify it to run 2 mills at once or move belts to run 1 at a time? Or a QD set-up to swap mills.
                  I suppose you could, if the motor (3/4 hp) has enough "oomph" to pull them both. LOL!

As it is, I can unbolt the grain mill and swap it out for my meat grinder!
                  The meat grinder has the same diameter drive wheel as the grain mill and the same RPM requirements.
                  Unbolt the grain mill, put on a riser and bolt the grinder to the riser.
                  Takes about 15 minutes to swap them out.

Comment

'dawg, checked out that "servo motor!
                    Dude, that's just to "techie" for me! LOL!
                    I understand all the belts, pulleys, pillow blocks and shafts on my set up. You start with all that electro-magic mumbo jumbo and I get lost! 😳

I did find a grain mgraimuch cheaper than I imagined.
                    Now all I've gotta do is make enough for a second setup.
                    If this "cottage industry" can't earn it's own way, I'll just back away.
                    I'm too old to fight it very hard.
                    So far, every speck of grain I've ground has been paid for with a little profit.
                    So far, so good! 😉

But thanks! You steered me to some good deals on grain mills!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      'dawg, checked out that "servo motor!
                      Dude, that's just to "techie" for me! LOL!
                      I understand all the belts, pulleys, pillow blocks and shafts on my set up. You start with all that electro-magic mumbo jumbo and I get lost! 😳

I did find a grain mgraimuch cheaper than I imagined.
                      Now all I've gotta do is make enough for a second setup.
                      If this "cottage industry" can't earn it's own way, I'll just back away.
                      I'm too old to fight it very hard.
                      So far, every speck of grain I've ground has been paid for with a little profit.
                      So far, so good! 😉

But thanks! You steered me to some good deals on grain mills!
                      I know guys who could set the servo drive but couldn’t handle the belts a pulleys and do the math in the speed reduction it’s hilarious the times we live in.

Comment

I know guys who could set the servo drive but couldn’t handle the belts a pulleys and do the math in the speed reduction it’s hilarious the times we live in.
                        Back in the mid 80's, I was working as a rough carpenter in Dallas.
                        Showed up for work one morning and there was this dirty, longhaired, ragged bell bottoms, tennis shoes, bearded, hippy with the requisite bandana tied around his head.
                        Did I mention he was toking on a "doobie"?
                        The lead man showed up and it was "old home week" all over again!
                        'dawg, give that "dude" the rise and run and he would pause for a few seconds then start laying out rafters....hip and valley rafters too!
                        Worked the math in his head!
                        He laid out and cut the chopped up roof of a 3200sq/ft home in 2 days.
                        Then he was gone!
                        When we broke for lunch or a break, he smoked a joint.....and still cut that roof about as slick as a button.

Did I say he made no errors and it fit tight!
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-10-2022, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Know a couple of guys in the trades who are stoners it you can’t beat the work they do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad