Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scopes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    I should be wicked with open sights. Every time I use them I have 4 front sights and a rear that’s 7” across. But when I shoot there’s never a hole to tell me where I hit. For all I know some of those bullets are still flying around out there somewhere.
    Yes I used to have outstanding vision 20/40 I could see at 40 feet what normal folks saw at 20 they made me take the eye test with three different charts at boot camp. They thought I memorized them to pass. Last visit screening for my new job. I was 20/30 left eye 20/20 right eye. Takes longer for the right to focus. And I’m right eye dominant. But I can still manage to shoot ok not like used to even a couple of years ago. But I’m still minute of man with a pistol in a hurry.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by dewman View Post
      I should be wicked with open sights. Every time I use them I have 4 front sights and a rear that’s 7” across. But when I shoot there’s never a hole to tell me where I hit. For all I know some of those bullets are still flying around out there somewhere.
      LMBO!
      Yeah? Well, I don't feel so lonesome anymore!

      Comment


      • #33
        I have had excellent service from Burris and Tasco, Fair service from Swarovski and Good service from Leupold.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I have had excellent service from Burris and Tasco, Fair service from Swarovski and Good service from Leupold.
          I still use a Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x on one of my 30-06s. It is one of my favorite scopes for deer hunting within 500 yards. I think I paid around $250 for it about a decade ago. Too bad they no longer make scopes.

          Comment


          • #35
            For LR scopes: Burris XTR-II, XTR-III, and the new PRO, Sightron S-III's and their scope just below that is great also, Leupold VX-3HD and above. Not a fan of the mushy turrets on their 6 whether VX or Mark series. Vortex mid-level scopes and above, and the brand names go on......
            Basically mid-level on up will usually serve you well in a reputable brand.
            Element optics is making some good stuff too:
            https://element-optics.com/riflescopes/
            If you want some good info: https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=623

            Comment


            • #36
              Even the best scopes break. It is mechanical, so parts will break, wear out, or may be improperly made or fitted.
              I have had to send in about every scope manufacturer that I own at one time or another.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                Even the best scopes break. It is mechanical, so parts will break, wear out, or may be improperly made or fitted.
                I have had to send in about every scope manufacturer that I own at one time or another.
                I agree, Ernie.
                The best we can hope for, as shooters, is that spending a little bit more on a proven name brand, the likelihood of mechanical failure is reduced.
                I know that's what I hope! LOL!

                Comment


                • #38
                  If the shooter does not have very good vision in his shooting eye he will never realize the full potential of that thousand dollar scope and be the weak link no matter the quality of the scope.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    If the shooter does not have very good vision in his shooting eye he will never realize the full potential of that thousand dollar scope and be the weak link no matter the quality of the scope.
                    I disagree.
                    Depends on your definition of "full potential" and it also depends on your definition of not having very good vision.
                    A scopes ocular gives correction for vision problems.
                    Plus, if you are wearing corrective lenses (you should be wearing some kind of eye protection anyway), I sure do, as I am nearsighted, and having been wearing bi-focals for several years now.
                    I don't have any problems.
                    Better glass quality will surely help, whether you have vision issues or not.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      A quality scope is so much more than glass quality as Dakotaman has already mentioned.
                      Holding zero through magnification changes, Accuracy/repeatability of turrets, FOV, eyebox, etc....

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I will say my point in a little different way. Unless you have 'perfect vision' you will not get the full potential of the scope lenses.
                        The human vision (however you measure it) is the limiting factor.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          What is the full potential the people with perfect vision have (That the rest of us don't have), if you have perfect vision?
                          The majority of shooters I know, don't have perfect vision, even if they are not wearing corrective lenses.
                          That is the purpose of an adjustable ocular, is to correct imperfect vision or to make imperfect vision perfect....

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                            What is the full potential the people with perfect vision have (That the rest of us don't have), if you have perfect vision?
                            The majority of shooters I know, don't have perfect vision, even if they are not wearing corrective lenses.
                            That is the purpose of an adjustable ocular, is to correct imperfect vision or to make imperfect vision perfect....
                            If your vision is so poor that a quality scope can't compensate, you:
                            A) have cataracts
                            B) have an astigmatism
                            C) don't need to be shooting
                            😉

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                              If your vision is so poor that a quality scope can't compensate, you:
                              A) have cataracts
                              B) have an astigmatism
                              C) don't need to be shooting
                              😉
                              BOOM!
                              https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/12...85bcdfb6da.gif

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Couldn’t load the GIF like I wanted…Must be my poor vision

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X