Chain saw - trimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain saw - trimmer

Over a year ago, my eldest bought a Homelite string trimmer and a metal bottle of "pre-mix" fuel. Used it once or twice and then brought it to me when worked hours changed.
    I used it a couple of times, then stuck it up in the barn. Over a year later, this morning, I drug it down, pumped the primer button, set it on "choke/start" and pulled the rope. Second pull, it grumbled and stopped.
    Reset choke to "half choke" and pulled the rope.
    It coughed, choked and sputtered to life.
    I left it on half choke until it began to cough and then moved it to run!
    It never stuttered and ran.like a champ.
    Never had that happen in the past.
    The youngest bought a Husqvarna chainsaw during the "Deep Freeze" last winter. We cut some firewood with it the it went into "storage".
    A year later, just before we left, I needed the chain saw.
    Bingo! It never bobbled!
    I despise the fact that "pre-mix" fuel is so expensive, but it sure seems to work very well.
    Normally, any tool I've bought that required mixing fuel haven't lasted long.
    These two "tools" seem to be doing quite well.

My yard is two acres and I'm still able to cut my own firewood.
    I've tried electric tools. For small jobs, they work ...uhhmmm... okay.
    To actually do serious trimming, without a 300 foot cord, or enough firewood for more than a night, I'll go gasoline powered.

Guess I could haul a generator around. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

I run non ethanol 90 octane gas with synthetic mix in my 2cycle engines. The local Stihl dealer told me the synthetic stuff has a fuel stabilizer in it that helps with storage in addition to the ethanol free gas. I’d guess the premixed stuff is the same. Don’t forget the premium cost of convenience for the premix as well.

If my 026 Stihl chainsaw gives up the ghost I’ll likely replace it with an electric. I use it mostly for limbing and clearing small saplings along the roads on the hill and an electric would work well for that purpose.

Comment

Stihl pre mix is a god send

Comment

I do like the "pre-mix", but I DO NOT like the cost.
          It's getting harder and harder to find the non-alcohol 90 octane. I run it in everything. Mower, tiller, the one pickup.
          Not sure if it's good or bad, but nobody within 25 miles carries the pre-mix. Nearly everybody carries the mix. So I mix.

Comment

Will add I buy 6 packs of the small bottles that you mix to one gallon of gas. Have a couple older one gallon gas cans so it’s a simple matter to mix correctly. Those one gallon cans only get used for 2 cycle gas.

Comment

I run non-ethanol in all my small engines and get the same effect. I pressure washed the driveway yesterday and the pressure washer started on the second pull and ran like a champ all day. Same with the mower, chain saws, etc. My neighbor returned my edger after borrowing it for two years. He had put regular ethanol gas in it and the carbonator had gummed up after months of just sitting there. I had to remove the carburetor and gas tank and clean the jets to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                Stihl pre mix is a god send
                A quart of premixed is nearly six bucks.
                A gallon of fuel and a bottle of mix is about the same cost and you get a whole gallon.

Make no mistake, milldawg, if I need mixed fuel bad enough, I won't back away from a can of "pre-mix"! 😉!
                I'm glad it's out there also.

Comment

We had the expensive 1 quart premix on jobsite for equipment that needed mix and it was necessary bcause the laborers couldn't get the idea of mixing. Putting a bit of oil from a seperate container into another container of gas when the big can was empty never seemed to fit. Grab any gas can, it'll run till it don't. Not my fault, I don't why it quit.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                    We had the expensive 1 quart premix on jobsite for equipment that needed mix and it was necessary bcause the laborers couldn't get the idea of mixing. Putting a bit of oil from a seperate container into another container of gas when the big can was empty never seemed to fit. Grab any gas can, it'll run till it don't. Not my fault, I don't why it quit.
                    LMBO!
                    Worked with a bunch of kids one spring. Had NO idea what a 2 cycle engine was, that you couldn't just use gasoline or even how to mix fuel.
                    "Pour this little bottle into a gallon of gasoline and shake it up."
                    "What's a gallon?" 😖

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad