• Anybody know anything about Marble's?

Got it at auction.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220402_152719.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	795259

Fine looking blade!
    Had one quite like that with a staghorn grip as a kid, but I don't think it is a Marbles.

To me, it's a bit big for field dressing but would be more suitable for quartering or a camp knife.
    My likes matter not! LOL!
    Hope you got a good (?) deal.
    Still a "sharp" looking blade. 😉

Comment

I don't know much about them so did a quick web search. Without the original sheath and in that condition I wouldn't have gone over $50. But I'm a fool sometimes and have paid much more for lesser blades. Get a sheath for it and enjoy!

Vintage Marbles Knives - Gladstone, MI - Old Pocket Knives
      "Marbles knives were made in Gladstone, Michigan starting in the late 1890’s. Although their use of pinned stag slabs are second to none, they are most known for popularizing stacked leather washers in the handles. As a young man in northern Michigan, Webster L. Marble gained an appreciation for the outdoors as a timber cruiser and surveyor. After starting a factory in 1898 producing the Safety Axe and a waterproof match safe. Hunting knives soon followed with the introduction of the famous, Ideal Hunting Knife. The form and quality of the early version of this knife make it the most popular model of Marbles knives among collectors. In addition, other collectible models include the Woodcraft, Canoe and the Safety Hunting Knife. The most valuable vintage Marbles knives are still paired with their original leather tube sheaths."

Comment

No help here but cool purchase just the same. I might be wrong but with today’s throw away society I don’t see guys wanting “old” Havalon type knives 50 years from now.

Comment

Lucky you! I tend to prefer older gear sometimes. I still have wool hunting clothes. I use case xx fixed blade and a western brand. Still like leather holsters for my pistols. Enjoy it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's an Ideal model. Unsure of the year it was made, maybe sometime 1908 - 1911.

Comment

I'm kinda like pighunter, I love hunting and fishing with older implements. Kind of a nostalgia thing.

Comment

I had a set made by Remington of three Marbles knives . Had a chance for a profit so I sold the set. Included three of this set. q=remington+knife+set+marbles&FORM=SHOPPA&originIG UID=9AD9A2D60E5D4C3D8C2F0F006CFF300C&msclkid=330c2 513b5ee11ecb1d29c350d36e903

Comment

OMG! Growing up in Michigan in the 60's & 70's you weren't a true woodsman if you didn't carry a Marble's knife. Required as much as red plaid coats. Buck knives got you some creds but Marbles were the right of passage for young deer hunters back then. I pined for my grandads but I wasn't the oldest son so I lost out.
                  Here is a mid 70's pic of me in Michigan, red flannel and model '94. Notice by my right foot sticking in the ground. My grandads Marbles knife. So many memories. Thanks franchi20 and nice buy! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	795604

Comment

I think l pinned it down. Bakelite pommel, 1949 - 53.

Comment

The old-time Canadian woodsman, Bradford Angier, who wrote a bunch of great books about survival and living in the woods, swore by his Marble knife. He also carried the Marble waterproof match-case.

Comment

Here is my current Marbles knife, bought new at a gun show in Texas 20+ years ago.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad