What is it for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it for?

It's pretty simple "what" it is, the question is; "what is it for"?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_140812.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	792330
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_140848.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	792331
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_140917.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	792332 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_140938.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	792333

Is anybody out there familiar with or used one?

Hard to see on my phone FB but I believe your compass is set up to calculate true distance(elevation, dip, slope etc). Think trigonometry. Might be to figure longitude/latitude (poor man gps) in degrees but I don't think so.

Comment

Brunton ComPro Pocket Transit Compass (0-90°) F-5007 B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

User Manuals – Brunton

The ComPro Pocket Transit Compass (0-90°) from Brunton is a specially engineered analog navigation device built to resist magnetic interference and deliver accurate readings. This configuration of the Transit series uses a round rare-earth magnet to resist demagnetization and align with magnetic north better than other magnetic materials. The needle's reduced center of gravity is designed to minimize needle dip when used near Earth's magnetic poles. The molded composite compass housing is silicone sealed for waterproof performance, and is compatible with Brunton's ball and socket tripod mount. Brunton Outdoor Group has been designing and manufacturing compasses since their establishment in 1894; whether you are a bird watcher, hunter, or hiker, Brunton has been making gear for nature enthusiasts like you for over a century.

Comment

Agree with dewman, looks like a bubble level for both direction and elevation. I’d guess it’s a compass a surveyor might have used.

Comment

Comment

As I understand it, it's a "mapping" compass.
            So yeah fitch270, it's something a surveyor (engineer?) might use.

Comment

Bubba, just curious, did you see that at an outdoorsmans' show, or in a store, or have it given to you?

My brothers both had compasses like that from the Army and Marines, don't really recall much but I used to play around with them. I don't believe they were that complex, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                I could not listen - she has the worst voice on U tube.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  Bubba, just curious, did you see that at an outdoorsmans' show, or in a store, or have it given to you?

My brothers both had compasses like that from the Army and Marines, don't really recall much but I used to play around with them. I don't believe they were that complex, though.
                  It was a "find". It was left in an abandoned office. The clean up lady gave it to me.

Comment

Trust me they don’t give marines anything that complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

They had a lenstatic compass I may have spelled that incorrectly but I’m an old jar head. Like I said before they don’t marines anything that fancy. You forget we destroy everything.

Comment

Without googling it I would have said "A really good compass".

There is still value in having such a really good compass once you learn how to use it. I have been navigating by GPS a lot since about the late 1980s but where you can't get a GPS signal or the overhead structure obscures your satellite signal, this compass would help. One example is in the Rocky Mountain wilderness where dense overhead forest cover blocks satellites or where your cell phone gets no communication signal. In a locale like that, I always carry a compass (not one that good) and have used it to find my way back to camp several times. In many wilderness locales, cell signals just don't exist for apps like maps and navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                          Without googling it I would have said "A really good compass".

There is still value in having such a really good compass once you learn how to use it. I have been navigating by GPS a lot since about the late 1980s but where you can't get a GPS signal or the overhead structure obscures your satellite signal, this compass would help. One example is in the Rocky Mountain wilderness where dense overhead forest cover blocks satellites or where your cell phone gets no communication signal. In a locale like that, I always carry a compass (not one that good) and have used it to find my way back to camp several times. In many wilderness locales, cell signals just don't exist for apps like maps and navigation.
                          Last time I went to Kodiak fishing, the guide headed out to a GPS location on his boat. There was NO signal. When I asked how far out we were, he just smiled and said, "You're in international waters!" and laughed. We were like +/-20 miles off shore. The rock fish bite was fantastic. That is the only time I've been out of sight of land when fishing Kodiak.
                          Here in south Texas, there are two spots we frequent where there is no cell phone signal.

Comment

For several years off of Jacksonville, I fished at around 50 miles at least once a week. I never lost GPS as satellites are all over that part of the world. Cell towers lose signal quickly there so I depended on my VHS radio, a tall antennae and neighboring vessels when out that far. If was funny, when I moved from there to Atlanta, it took me three months to get over waking in the middle of the night and jumping for a rod with a squealing drag. I had great fishing dreams and was accustomed to taking naps on the boat. My wife was elated when I finally acclimated to dry land.

Comment

About a decade ago, I went hunting with a novice buddy. We were hunting in the middle of about 25 miles of solid and heavy timber. When we started, I asked if he had a compass and he didn't so I gave him one. I told him that if he got lost there was a fence about a mile east of us. That would lead him to a big fire trail a couple miles south of us. Following the fire trail east would lead him to our truck. He looked doubtful but sure enough, he got lost. I found him walking down the fence line and he was most thankful for the compass. He said he had already used it several times to alert him to the fact that he was walking in circles as he hunted.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by labrador12
                                Before Hunter's laptop from hell was exposed the media and you got away with that crap. After the laptop, with the pictures, and the emails it doesn't...
                                Today, 03:27 PM
                              • Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by labrador12
                                Weird! Wyoming Republicans didn't vote for a pretend Republican that hangs out with the anti-American, anti-oil and gas, anti-cow, anti-farm and ranch...
                                08-16-2022, 11:20 PM
                              • Reply to Posting to blogs
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Thanks. That looks impressive! I finally joined a range so I could zero the old Springfield out to 300 meters. Bought new dies and brought the bullets...
                                Today, 03:21 PM
                              • Posting to blogs
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Haven't been around for a while. Is it no longer possible to post comments to editor blogs?
                                08-03-2022, 06:24 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF; Feelin’ It
                                by PigHunter
                                "Do You Feel Like I Do" by Peter Frampton

Today, 03:13 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X