Electric Pick-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Pick-Up

Would an Electronic Pick-Up be in your future. A motor at every wheel and instant torque has to be an advantage for off-road. Rivn has sold 1050 of them and Ford has so many pre orders they have stopped taking more orders.
    Remember when an EV goes down hill the motor turns into a generator, also batteries are down low to keep center of gravity low.
    Also, quiet running and no contamination in the environment. When the latest batteries hit the market re-charge time will be less than 20min.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Would an Electronic Pick-Up be in your future. A motor at every wheel and instant torque has to be an advantage for off-road. Rivn has sold 1050 of them and Ford has so many pre orders they have stopped taking more orders.
    Remember when an EV goes down hill the motor turns into a generator, also batteries are down low to keep center of gravity low.
    Also, quiet running and no contamination in the environment. When the latest batteries hit the market re-charge time will be less than 20min.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0
    No contamination to the environment? Is there any oil or anti freeze in the vehicle? Does it have solar panels or a windmill in the bed of the truck to recharge the batteries?
    Are they charging off a plug that's energy is produced from coal , oil, natural gas and nuclear ?
    I don't consider nukes clean because of the waste that has to be stored. Also Chernobyl and Fukushima.

How much does a battery cost to replace?
    What is the environmental damage from old batteries in landfills ?

How many more power plants do we need to build to power these so-called clean cars and our homes and businesses?

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

No contamination to the environment? Is there any oil or anti freeze in the vehicle? Does it have solar panels or a windmill in the bed of the truck to recharge the batteries?
      Are they charging off a plug that's energy is produced from coal , oil, natural gas and nuclear ?
      I don't consider nukes clean because of the waste that has to be stored. Also Chernobyl and Fukushima.

How much does a battery cost to replace?
      What is the environmental damage from old batteries in landfills ?

How many more power plants do we need to build to power these so-called clean cars and our homes and businesses?
      O.K., these are not foy you. Just don't complain when gas is $10 a gal and plates are $1000.

Comment

"... O.K., these are not foy you. ..."

Well, that's a bit rude! πŸ˜‰

Danbo, except for idealist people with "Green Nude Eel" etched in their brain, everybody should realize that it takes fossil fuels to produce electric vehicles!🚏

EVERYthing required to construct and assemble one of those "Tinker Toy" trucks HAS to be achieved through a fossil fuel based industry! Either mined or reclaimed from scrap!
        As long as I can squeeze a few bucks out of my meager retirement, I'll be driving my 1 ton diesel!

Electric truck my left hind leg! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Comment

Performance wise I get the advantages of EV’s but living in upstate NY I’ll pass. Scenes like this where people were stranded for hours doesn’t encourage me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1ADE9972-3602-4FA9-8C81-CFAE81A89241.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	789900

Comment

"... a range of 300 miles ..."

Heck! My 21 year old diesel will still get nearly 600 miles on one tank of fuel.
            Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to refill it and I'm on the road again.
            Well, at my age, by the time I fill up, go to the bathroom, walk out a few kinks, get a bottle of water and finally remember where I parked, a fuel stop can eat up 30 to 45 minutes! LOL!

jimbo's "words" may not be rude, but the hidden sarcasm behind them is evident.

Comment

I didn't think anyone was being rude.

Your right Jim a fossil fuels powered ev is not for me and they are not the answer to climate change .

Comment

"... you can use it as a back-up power source to keep your house going during outages. ..."

I live a mile and a quarter from my nearest neighbor. We're are the "ONLY" occupied residence on a 1.5 mile long feeder. The local electric co-op has thousands of miles of lines. We aren't a "high" priority! When we do have a power outage, if I don't give the co-op my exact location and that I'm the only residence, they don't notice our little 1.5 mile long feeder.

In a power outage, how'mi gonna charge an electric vehicle?
                Can I hook a battery charger to my pickup to charge my pickup battery? πŸ˜–!

I have an Onan generator (120/240) with a 6 gallon tank and several cans of gasoline. I can maintain without electricity for about 6 days. That after an 18 hour outage cost the contents* of a refrigerator and a big upright freezer.

* - the co-op made no offer and turned down my request for compensation for lost goods. 🀬!

Comment

The Govt. will, through regulations and taxes, coerce people to consider EV when they can.

Actually the New Green people don't realize the batteries use Lithium and guess who has the worlds supply, yep, China.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-16-2022, 12:30 PM.

Comment

800 HP big blocks in 2500 lb cars. You feel them as much as watch them.

Comment

You don't power the entire house with a generator or pick-up or anything else. The refrigerator and maybe some lights, that is it. Anything fused over 20amps forget about it. The other thing is a generator does not have to be run 24 hrs a day. Run for an hour or two, then off for 6 hours.
                      The problem with the hurricane, flood and ice storms is the time it takes to repair the grid. One storm even brought down one of the big transmission towers.

Comment

I'm all for alternative energy sources and a more efficient power source than a 100+ year old internal combustion engine for autos. We can't get there in one day because it needs significant new infrastructure. That doesn't mean its bad. I like to see Ford's innovation and I wish them well.

Comment

pighunter, the Onan will run 8 (+/-) hours on 2 gallons depending on what you're trying to power.
                          I keep 8 to 10 gallons along with the 6 gallon tank on the generator.
                          I can run an A/C unit or LPG central heat unit*, refrigerator/freezer and a freezer plus a couple of lights and the TV.
                          When the generator runs out of fuel, it gets an hour rest, oil check and a fuel refill before restarting....unless there is something good on TV! LOL!

So, quite a while.

Several years back we had a HUGE ice storm.
                          A friend of mine ran his house with a 100 amp Lincoln welder for 13 days!

* - during the winter, we burn a wood stove, so don't need the central heat unit.

EDIT: I hope I never get to find out how long it will last! πŸ˜‰!
                          Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-17-2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                            I'm all for alternative energy sources and a more efficient power source than a 100+ year old internal combustion engine for autos. We can't get there in one day because it needs significant new infrastructure. That doesn't mean its bad. I like to see Ford's innovation and I wish them well.
                            All pre-orders for the EV 150 are sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                              The EV pickup would also be quieter than that Onan
                              But the Onan is paid for, doesn't require annual registration or tires and is extremely mobil. πŸ˜‰
                              ....and I'm NOT going to buy an EV just so I can power my home during a power outage. Nor do I figure you would either.

All that is "Neato!", "Far Out!" and "Groovy!" and I acknowledge and appreciate the advancement in technology that allows all that.
                              I'm not a Luddite and if I had the resources, might just try one. I just don't see that in "my" future.

One thing!
                              How long does it take to recharge the battery from "truck won't move" to fully charged?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Fawns
                                by FirstBubba
                                A deer's normal diet, browse (or "mast") is in full production right now. If you're having wet weather, deer don't have to move far for food,...
                                Today, 05:48 PM
                              • Fawns
                                by MattM37
                                How's your local herd doing? Around here I seldom see many fawns in May, but everything seems to be a couple-three weeks ahead of schedule and we'll...
                                Yesterday, 07:21 PM
                              • Reply to The Constitution or The Big Lie?
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Anybody who can not see real dangers ahead under this administration is completely brain dead, and one who has no concerns for the country and its citizens...
                                Today, 05:23 PM
                              • The Constitution or The Big Lie?
                                by rock rat
                                We've had almost 250 years of a peaceful transition of power. Our constitution is mostly about how we elect and who can be elected or appointed to the...
                                05-22-2022, 07:24 AM
                              • Reply to Georgia Primary (this one looks to be fun)
                                by Grete
                                Thank you for that, I do. Now we are together on the same page....
                                Today, 04:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X