No announcement yet.

Cold Feet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm outside all day and wear the same clothes hunting as I do working and everything else. From Oklahoma to northern Wyoming it's just a question of shedding or adding layers. Wool socks, good boots that become insulated packs if it is snow underfoot. Cotton sweats, or fleece sweats, T shirt, fleece shirt, hoodie, fleece jacket, down jacket, slicker, not necessarily in that order. One should always be prepared to spend the night out because often enough one has to. Wool mittens covered with leather mitts. wool hat.

Comment

High top boots seem to retain the heat better than the shorter ones.

Comment

Presently wearing four top layers including a bandanna tied around the hoody and a thin neck gaiter, UA mid weight base layer bottom and jeans, wool socks and 1200gr Danner boots w/ GoreTex.

Have a packable rain jacket and pants in the truck, works ok as a windbreak if needed.

It was 7* out this morning but still no snow so it’s bone dry out. We get snow the Mucks go back in service and I’ll switch pants to fleece lined Wrangler Outdoor pants. Cotton has its place but not in wet conditions. Danner’s stay dry inside but constant wet/dry cycles eats them up.

Comment

Usually doesn't get cold enough in Texas to pull out the real winter gear I acquired in Wyoming and Colorado, but sometimes, in Oklahoma, or if I ever get to hunt New Mexico again, the heavy gear comes in handy.
          I still have a pair of actual, factual, genuine, real authintical Baffins, made in Canaja, by Canajans. That takes care of cold feet, along with a pair of interior socks and an over pair of merino wool socks.
          Next would be a layer of thermal underwear, the Carhart long johns or some similar heavyweight underlayer, and the Carhart bibs and either Carhart Artic weight or Gore-Tex waterproof parka.
          I have hunted and ridden four wheelers at -5°, and stood on a lot of drilling rig floors when it was a lot colder, in that gear.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
            Usually doesn't get cold enough in Texas to pull out the real winter gear I acquired in Wyoming and Colorado, but sometimes, in Oklahoma, or if I ever get to hunt New Mexico again, the heavy gear comes in handy.
            I still have a pair of actual, factual, genuine, real authintical Baffins, made in Canaja, by Canajans. That takes care of cold feet, along with a pair of interior socks and an over pair of merino wool socks.
            Next would be a layer of thermal underwear, the Carhart long johns or some similar heavyweight underlayer, and the Carhart bibs and either Carhart Artic weight or Gore-Tex waterproof parka.
            I have hunted and ridden four wheelers at -5°, and stood on a lot of drilling rig floors when it was a lot colder, in that gear.
            I have snowmobiled at 35 below. It went to 54 below overnight but we waited until it warmed up a little. That was a bar to bar ride all day, they were packed. Snowmobiles ran great.
            Got so cold the power lines contracted until they broke themselves. We had a propane auto start generator inside and when that thing kicked on at 3 AM I thought we were being attacked. I had a new Dodge station wagon and it would not start until about 10 below.
            https://cnycentral.com/news/local/th...new-york-state

Comment

From jhjimbo: "I have snowmobiled at 35 below. It went to 54 below overnight but we waited...."

One night in Wyoming we were running casing in a wind that was shaking the derrick. I was on the floor most of that night, other than quick trips into the doghouse for coffee. Next morning we found that the weather station was maxed out at -70. Coldest night I have ever spent anywhere.

Comment

Time to go snowmobiing -- C'ville and Tug Hill are getting hammered right now with lake effect snow, 19deg - perfect conditions. I am watching CCNY weather radar live. Tug Hill and Montegue get around 350" snow a year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Gun Values
                  by jhjimbo
                  I don't know about the numbers for the Win. '94.I see them at shows for $1200.
                  I bought one handgun in '65 that is now worth north of $1000...
                  Today, 12:13 PM
                • Gun Values
                  by jhjimbo
                  08-06-2022, 08:00 PM
                • Reply to Gun Values
                  by 99explorer
                  Jimbo -
                  No big whoops.
                  It's only money.
                  Today, 11:29 AM
                • Reply to "Inflation 'Pro'duction Bill"
                  by jhjimbo
                  The CBO and Univ of Penn both say Biden is full of it. This massive give away will increase inflation big time.
                  Today, 11:29 AM
                • "Inflation 'Pro'duction Bill"
                  by FirstBubba
                  I'm still paying over $4/gal for diesel. Sometimes over $5/gal.

Inflation is still higher than my COLA raise.

Groceries are...
                  Today, 07:36 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X