Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redfield is now owned by academy sports.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Redfield is now owned by academy sports.

    Whilst googling the other night looking for scopes came across the info. Academy bought redfield in April of this year. So scratch them off the list of ok scopes. Academy gear is like all the other store brands junk.
    Last edited by Milldawg; 09-09-2021, 06:41 PM.

  • #2
    Milldawg, I wasn't aware of that. Redfield had some worth to me when owned by Leupold. Now I'm like you and will be staying away from the product. It looks like the line will be exclusive to Academy. Apparently they are manufactured in the Philippines or China.

    Academy | Redfield
    "Find Redfield Scopes, Binoculars, and Red Dot Sights only at Academy in-store and online."

    Here's the announcement:

    Leupold Sells Redfield Brand to Academy Sports + Outdoors (yahoo.com)

    "The sale of Redfield to Academy Sports + Outdoors is part of our continued strategic focus on the Leupold brand," said Bruce Pettet, President and Chief Executive Officer of Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "We will continue to produce the world's best performance optics for the elite outdoor athlete."

    The sale includes the brand rights for the Redfield brand of sports optics. Academy will develop and sell quality sports optics exclusively for Academy Sports + Outdoors under the Redfield brand going forward. Leupold will continue to support the warranty obligations for any legacy purchases of Redfield optics.

    Redfield will join Academy's portfolio of exclusive brands which already includes outdoor brands like Magellan Outdoors, Monarch, H2O Xpress, and Game Winner.
    Last edited by PigHunter; 09-09-2021, 03:55 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sad news , Redfield never was the Redfield of old but now it’s not worthy of consideration . Nice heads up Dawg .

      Comment


      • #4
        Very disappointed in leupold for making the move.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Milldawg, I wasn't aware of that. Redfield had some worth to me when owned by Leupold. Now I'm like you and will be staying away from the product. It looks like the line will be exclusive to Academy. Apparently they are manufactured in the Philippines or China.

          Academy | Redfield
          "Find Redfield Scopes, Binoculars, and Red Dot Sights only at Academy in-store and online."

          Here's the announcement:

          Leupold Sells Redfield Brand to Academy Sports + Outdoors (yahoo.com)

          "The sale of Redfield to Academy Sports + Outdoors is part of our continued strategic focus on the Leupold brand," said Bruce Pettet, President and Chief Executive Officer of Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "We will continue to produce the world's best performance optics for the elite outdoor athlete."

          The sale includes the brand rights for the Redfield brand of sports optics. Academy will develop and sell quality sports optics exclusively for Academy Sports + Outdoors under the Redfield brand going forward. Leupold will continue to support the warranty obligations for any legacy purchases of Redfield optics.

          Redfield will join Academy's portfolio of exclusive brands which already includes outdoor brands like Magellan Outdoors, Monarch, H2O Xpress, and Game Winner.
          It was nice of them to list the junk brands.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the info Milldawg. I had not heard that. It makes sense though because Leupold did nothing with the Redfield brand themselves. I still have my first good scope... a Redfield 3-9x that I purchased in 1967. I has given me more enjoyment than any other scope I've ever owned. Mainly, because I was at an age where I could use it a lot and it never let me down.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ain't nothin' like it "usta" be.
              Leupold, Redfield, (El Paso) Weaver and Lyman were all really nice scopes. Leupold is the only one left and it's getting sketchy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                Thanks for the info Milldawg. I had not heard that. It makes sense though because Leupold did nothing with the Redfield brand themselves. I still have my first good scope... a Redfield 3-9x that I purchased in 1967. I has given me more enjoyment than any other scope I've ever owned. Mainly, because I was at an age where I could use it a lot and it never let me down.
                Got a couple old Redfields and Leupolds still work just fine after a half century !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Ain't nothin' like it "usta" be.
                  Leupold, Redfield, (El Paso) Weaver and Lyman were all really nice scopes. Leupold is the only one left and it's getting sketchy.
                  Yes I’ve started hearing some negative whispers about leupold from some other guys. The tactical long range craze is pushing hunting scopes to the fringes. But all manufacturers are just trying to keep pace with the times. I’m not sure what brand delivers the value for the money that leupold does and is still made in America. I have noticed leupold hasn’t made a good 1-6x24 that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I can’t pay good money for a 20mm lease. They could make a 1-6x24 with a daylight bright red dot and probably sell them faster than they could make them. It’s seems like such a no brainer.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                    Got a couple old Redfields and Leupolds still work just fine after a half century !
                    I have three vx3i now and hope they last long enough to pass down to my grandsons.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

                      I have three vx3i now and hope they last long enough to pass down to my grandsons.
                      I hear ya. I've got one on my Remington 788 and it's the best scope I've ever owned (and most expensive).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Leupold’s VX-3 is a quality scope really nice glass , these days I don’t think I would go below that in the Leupold line however. When they dropped the VX-2 line I believe it was a cost move. Mill Dawg I believe you will be handing those down maybe even ending them up in your great grandchildren’s hands.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've got 2 of the Leupold "Freedom" series scopes.
                          They are nice, crisp, clear scopes and, so far, are proving to hold a zero just fine.
                          The scopes work great, but there is just something about them that doesn't "gee" and "haw".

                          Kinda like that great looking chick you ask to dance and when she smiles, she's missing a front tooth. 😖!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                            Leupold’s VX-3 is a quality scope really nice glass , these days I don’t think I would go below that in the Leupold line however. When they dropped the VX-2 line I believe it was a cost move. Mill Dawg I believe you will be handing those down maybe even ending them up in your great grandchildren’s hands.
                            I hope so they aren’t cheap.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              I've got 2 of the Leupold "Freedom" series scopes.
                              They are nice, crisp, clear scopes and, so far, are proving to hold a zero just fine.
                              The scopes work great, but there is just something about them that doesn't "gee" and "haw".

                              Kinda like that great looking chick you ask to dance and when she smiles, she's missing a front tooth. 😖!
                              Agree held one and looked thru a couple something just seems different. The finish is less than desirable in my opinion. They seems to built to a price point.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X