Another axe thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another axe thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	6794539E-F11B-4BD3-B9C8-EA67E38FE7EA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	776021

For once I resisted the enablers here. I’m constantly ending up with blow downs on the property that I have to clean up. The better stuff gets given away for wood stove use and I keep the rest for campfires. Was looking for a splitting axe to handle the 3-12” diameter range. Picked up one made by Fiskars and just used it for the weekends supply. It works well even if it’s not a thing of beauty. Runs about $50.

Click image for larger version  Name:	53C92677-0132-4AD1-9B08-D3F3B775CC53.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	776020

This thing has a sharper edge than I expected but it still comes out of blocks easily. Protective cover is slick as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	77411E65-F47E-4F53-B79D-46FB63874D9E.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	776024

Name:	388E88B9-96D5-47DB-8210-A6C52224E1EB.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	776023

Comment

One last related thing. PH and I had discussed the Estwing camp axes before. I just checked mine and the handle is longer than I’d thought. I like this one for traveling with the camper.

Name:	8CE140A2-F1DA-43FE-AB4C-87654B6AC674.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	776027

Comment

Everything I've ever seen, picked up or used with the "Fiskars" name on it seems to be excellent quality.
        What kinda wood ya splittin'?
        Sure works up pretty!

Comment

That Fiskars is a purdy thang! Looks a lot sweeter than my old splitting maul.

Comment

FB; that pile is mostly Poplar with some Basswood mixed in. Power line crew left it outback last fall, they took out several trees just on the edge of the right of way. I had the campfire wood pile out there and they actually cleaned up the limbs and blocked up most of the trunks and piled it by what was there.

PH; This one seems like a cross between an axe and go devil. Sharp, but wide enough not to get stuck. The handle is just a bit longer than I’m use to, overshot a couple times but no harm to that handle.

Comment

Enablers what are you talking about life is to short.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                What da???

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

What da???
                  ‘Dawg’s been posting about his new axe, I went the practical route instead of getting something cool like he did. Don’t blame him one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                    Life is too short to work with "doggy"* tools! LOL!

* - crappy

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

‘Dawg’s been posting about his new axe, I went the practical route instead of getting something cool like he did. Don’t blame him one bit.
                      Whats practical got to do with it lol! I figured I’d live it up a little. You live once. I looked at one of them but I bought a cheap splitting maul. I will probably just give it to my son in law and upgrade.
                      Last edited by Milldawg; 07-23-2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I have had the Chopper for years. Does a good job.

Chopper 1 One Wood Log Splitting Axe Maul Spring Loaded Spreaders New Easy Split | eBay
                        Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-23-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          FB; that pile is mostly Poplar with some Basswood mixed in. Power line crew left it outback last fall, they took out several trees just on the edge of the right of way. I had the campfire wood pile out there and they actually cleaned up the limbs and blocked up most of the trunks and piled it by what was there.

PH; This one seems like a cross between an axe and go devil. Sharp, but wide enough not to get stuck. The handle is just a bit longer than I’m use to, overshot a couple times but no harm to that handle.
                          A "line crew" came through my place a couple of years back. All they left behind was some great big elms you can't split with dynamite and yellow locust that split fine but not before you cleaned the thorns off of it.
                          They just ran it all through their chipper and I used it for mulch in the garden.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                            by fitch270
                            This week was especially heavy on rock songs. I also got stuck in the 80’s. I realized soon into it that by far most of my movie watching was from that...
                            Yesterday, 11:48 PM
                          • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                            by fitch270
                            So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                            09-16-2021, 11:01 PM
                          • Reply to Bust gun buying trip
                            by fitch270
                            Actually the show itself wasn’t too bad, it was the 5 hour round trip eating up the beautiful day that hurt. I come home from most of them empty handed...
                            Yesterday, 11:41 PM
                          • Bust gun buying trip
                            by fitch270
                            Headed to Syracuse Sunday for the big fall gun show. Had a pocket full of cash and was looking to spend it. Wanted a stainless .270, a synthetic 12 gauge...
                            Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                          • Reply to Real Quiet
                            by Milldawg
                            As a business owner and an employee rising wages are good and bad. As a business owner I lose profit that I can spend on things that actually drive the...
                            Yesterday, 11:35 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X