Just Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    The higher magnification for me is helpful at the range during load development. It sucks trying to get good data with a 4x fixed. I tend to leave a scope on the lowest setting when hunting.
    ph, I make special targets for load development and zeroing my low magnification scopes. I use PowerPoint (or any graphic software) to develop a target with a black circle about 3" in diameter. In the middle of the circle I super-impose a white cross with a width just a little thicker than the cross hair as it appears in the scope. That way, as I aim, I can center the reticle in the white cross with just a little white showing all the way around the cross hair. This allows me to center the cross hair perfectly on every shot and I can shoot tight groups and center them in the target if everything goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

ph, I make special targets for load development and zeroing my low magnification scopes. I use PowerPoint (or any graphic software) to develop a target with a black circle about 3" in diameter. In the middle of the circle I super-impose a white cross with a width just a little thicker than the cross hair as it appears in the scope. That way, as I aim, I can center the reticle in the white cross with just a little white showing all the way around the cross hair. This allows me to center the cross hair perfectly on every shot and I can shoot tight groups and center them in the target if everything goes well.
      On a pistol team in College the instructor had us shoot at the plain side of standard size indoor target. Amazing how your use of sights and the natural tendency of your eye to center on the blank paper. Then, turn the paper over rand look at your group - even more amazed now. Try it some time.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

On a pistol team in College the instructor had us shoot at the plain side of standard size indoor target. Amazing how your use of sights and the natural tendency of your eye to center on the blank paper. Then, turn the paper over rand look at your group - even more amazed now. Try it some time.
        You are right jimbo. I have seen that our eye can center up a relatively small blank space pretty well. For example, I was zeroing my scope at 1100 yards on this one and had to aim at center of mass. It hit a little low-left because the zero wasn't quite right yet, but you can see that with nothing to aim at but the center of mass, I could still line up a 3.25" 5-shot group OK. I feel I can do better with something to aim at but we can do pretty well aiming at the center of a blob.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First group 1100 yards.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	778131

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

You are right jimbo. I have seen that our eye can center up a relatively small blank space pretty well. For example, I was zeroing my scope at 1100 yards on this one and had to aim at center of mass. It hit a little low-left because the zero wasn't quite right yet, but you can see that with nothing to aim at but the center of mass, I could still line up a 3.25" 5-shot group OK. I feel I can do better with something to aim at but we can do pretty well aiming at the center of a blob.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First group 1100 yards.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	778131
          What is the splatter ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

What is the splatter ?
            I think it is the two bullets that landed almost on top of each other right at the edge of the bolt head that did most of the splatter. They splattered downward and a little to the right. It looks like each impact splattered a little bit on the fresh paint; especially the bottom impact.
            Last edited by DakotaMan; 08-19-2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Rainy, T-Storms., hot and humid - time to do reloading...
              .45acp, -06, some 22-250 and .38spl.

This might be my next boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3595.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	718.2 KB
ID:	778531 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3596.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	715.7 KB
ID:	778532 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3581.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	778533

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad