Just Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious

What is your opinion of the lowest price, standard, center fire rifle scope for big game that might last a new hunter a lifetime. Just your opinion of the one best scope and aproximately price. Manufacturer and Model.

Don't need to know all about your inventory of scopes - just name one you think is the lowest price that will do the job. I am asking for a friend. I know my thought, interested in what others think. (for example, for me to answer this question in the '60's would have been a Redfield Wide View I think at that time they were $125 ).

Red field now made by leupold or the vx series of leupold. Any others I would recommend would be above entry level. Vortex gets good reviews. But I haven’t used one so I can’t give an informed opinion.

Comment

Burris FullField II hands down. Bought two 3-9x40’s not long ago. Made in the Philippines not China, about $160.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Burris FullField II hands down. Bought two 3-9x40’s not long ago. Made in the Philippines not China, about $160.
        Burris would be my current choice to, Quality, Fulllfield is multi use, C.S. is excellent. 5 star in lower price point scopes,

Comment

For general use, I like the 3X9X40's. Here's a low cost scope that may last a lifetime:

The Sig Sauer SOW33202 Whiskey3. About $125 on Amazon. About the same price at Optics Planet. Lifetime unlimited guarantee. Reminds me of the discontinued Nikons which I really like.

SIG SAUER WHISKEY 3 Scope | SIG WHISKEY 3 3-9x40 mm Riflescope

Sig Sauer Whiskey3 3-9x40mm Riflescope | Up to 37% Off 4.7 Star Rating w/ Free S&H (opticsplanet.com)

Here's a review of the 30mm tube.

**** EDIT ****
          Well, well, well - a little research shows that some Burris, Sig Sauer, and Vortex scopes are made by the same company in the Philippines - Scopro... that why the Sig looks similar to the Nikon

Scopro (Philippines) rifle scope OEM - Optics Database (sageratsafaris.com)
          Last edited by PigHunter; 07-21-2021, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            For general use, I like the 3X9X40's. Here's a low cost scope that may last a lifetime:

The Sig Sauer SOW33202 Whiskey3. About $125 on Amazon. About the same price at Optics Planet. Lifetime unlimited guarantee. Reminds me of the discontinued Nikons which I really like.

Sig Sauer Whiskey3 3-9x40mm Riflescope | Up to 37% Off 4.7 Star Rating w/ Free S&H (opticsplanet.com)

**** EDIT ****
            Well, well, well - a little research shows that some Burris, Sig Sauer, and Vortex scopes are made by the same company in the Philippines - Scopro... that why the Sig looks similar to the Nikon

Looks like a nice scope and the price is doable.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Looks like a nice scope and the price is doable.
              Jim, that's what I'm thinking. This is the first time I've even given the Sig scopes a 2nd look. Essentially, they are the same as the discontinued Nikons I've liked on about 1/2 my rifles. Never had a problem with them.

Comment

Jim, that's what I'm thinking. This is the first time I've even given the Sig scopes a 2nd look. Essentially, they are the same as the discontinued Nikons I've liked on about 1/2 my rifles. Never had a problem with them.
                I read an article where the guys used Sigs in the $ 600 range and never looked further into them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B7089FA6-F622-4A56-9148-DE3D86C160D1.png
Views:	81
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	775831

**** EDIT ****

“Some scopes” being key. It’s getting tough keeping up with CoO.

The Sig Whiskey 3 line gets good reviews from what I’ve seen. If one is so inclined there’s an illuminated version that’s supposed to be well configured.

I’m set on optics at this point. I don’t even have a use for the second Burris I bought but figured it wouldn’t hurt to have a spare kicking around. Every time I find something I’d buy again it’s discontinued when I’m looking for another.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    “Some scopes” being key. It’s getting tough keeping up with CoO.

The Sig Whiskey 3 line gets good reviews from what I’ve seen. If one is so inclined there’s an illuminated version that’s supposed to be well configured.

I’m set on optics at this point. I don’t even have a use for the second Burris I bought but figured it wouldn’t hurt to have a spare kicking around. Every time I find something I’d buy again it’s discontinued when I’m looking for another.
                    I'm trying to keep my inventory reasonable but may put a better scope on the .357 maximum. The Sig Whiskey 3 would be a good match on that single-shot. Right now it's wearing a 1-4x shotgun scope. I was disappointed with Nikon dropping their scope line and now I've found a replacement in that lower price range.

Comment

Tough to beat the Leupold "Freedom" series.
                      ....and yes, a 3-9×40 is a superb starter.

Comment

I take it Sig scopes is the firearms and ammo Co.?

I figure there are only a couple scope Mfg. and they put others names on their products. I wonder who they are ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          I take it Sig scopes is the firearms and ammo Co.?

I figure there are only a couple scope Mfg. and they put others names on their products. I wonder who they are ?
                          Yep, same company.

The link I provided lists some of the scopes / companies that Scopro manufactures.
                          Last edited by PigHunter; 07-21-2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Tough to beat the Leupold "Freedom" series.
                            ....and yes, a 3-9×40 is a superb starter.
                            Maybe so, but those Leupolds will be double the cost of the Sig and others in the $125 price range. On top of that, there's not enough difference in field conditions to make it worth the extra dollars. The money saved can go towards ammo.

Sure, I've got a couple of Leupolds and really like them. But so far I've not really needed that marginally better view to bring home the pork or venison.

Comment

Maybe so, but those Leupolds will be double the cost of the Sig and others in the $125 price range. On top of that, there's not enough difference in field conditions to make it worth the extra dollars. The money saved can go towards ammo.

Sure, I've got a couple of Leupolds and really like them. But so far I've not really needed that marginally better view to bring home the pork or venison.
                              The Leupold "Freedom" 3-9×40 w/duplex reticle is still in the $200 range.

Maybe not in your "field conditions", but not everybody hunts Alabama's "Pighunter Swamp"! LOL! 😉

At my age, I'll take whatever advantage I can. If that means a little better glass, sobeit.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad