Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on heirloom quality gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is called a 'Smoke Ring' and is designed to fit a corresponding size opening on a wood stove to seal and prevent the smoke from escaping.

Comment

I never set the skillet in an eye. The bottom got too sooty.

Comment

heat ring
        "... The heat ring is the small rim around the outside of the bottom of many (usually earlier) skillets and some other pieces. Its purpose is to raise the pan's bottom slightly from the old wood range cooktop so as to equalize heat. ..."

Honestly jimbo, the site where I found this stated the ring was also what '06 said and what you said too.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          I'll have to do some digging, but it seems I've got a "Wagner Ware" skillet without the ring. I won't swear to it. I'll have to look.

Why is a manhole cover round?
          so it won't fall in

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            heat ring
            "... The heat ring is the small rim around the outside of the bottom of many (usually earlier) skillets and some other pieces. Its purpose is to raise the pan's bottom slightly from the old wood range cooktop so as to equalize heat. ..."

Honestly jimbo, the site where I found this stated the ring was also what '06 said and what you said too.

How does raising a pan 'equalize' heat ? What does 'equalizing' mean ?
            O.K., I have a pan with a ring on the bottom, can you direct me to someone who will mill that off for me ? What I thought, there is nobody that does that. Guess again.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

How does raising a pan 'equalize' heat ? What does 'equalizing' mean ?
              O.K., I have a pan with a ring on the bottom, can you direct me to someone who will mill that off for me ? What I thought, there is nobody that does that. Guess again.
              jimbo, chill dude! I was trying to tell you that I found your "smoke ring" explanation online. But I also found two or three other explanations of the ring. One of them just happened to agree with '06's explanation, too.
              As for "equalizing" the heat? That was somebody else's thoughts. Not mine. I just found it.
              ...and no, you don't grind or mill the entire ring off. You just take enough off the ring to stabilize the pan.

I was just pointing out that there is more than one explanation.

As for the manhole cover?
              "CORRECT!"

That said! We had an electrical blowout caused by a squirrel in a plant I worked in.
              When the sub station went off, an underground junction blew the lid off the manhole right beside the station. When the techs showed up to get the sub station back online, they asked us where the cover was for the manhole.
              Since none of our crew was present when the thing blew, we had no idea. When the plant came back online, the lead guy came by and told us they finally found the manhole cover. IT WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MANHOLE!?
              They had to break it up to get it out and replace it with a new lid.

The only thing they could think of was the lid went straight up when the junction blew. On it's return to earth, it hit the manhole on edge, square to the hole and broke the ring the lid sat in, allowing the lid to fall through. 🤔 Nobody saw it happen so it's only speculation.

Comment

I think things that the kids associate with YOU are the best heirlooms. For example, I am thankful I have my dad's belt buckle. He bought a nice belt buckle years ago and wore it every day for a long time. It was his signature piece. My brother-in-law has a ring from his dad that he will never part with.

Comment

What's the Ring on the Bottom of Your Cast-Iron Skillet For? (gearpatrol.com)

Comment

Smoke rings may be used by manufacturers to true a pan on a flat surface, but I don't see customers shaping them. Plus, overheat a pan and all bets are off. Heat rings wll eliminate them from being used on an electric stove flat glass surface - per stove instructions.
                    My Uncles camp has a wood burning stove/oven, heating combo and the only way we used the ring was to seal around the eye. You don't cook on a raging fire, you cook on the coals.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Smoke rings may be used by manufacturers to true a pan on a flat surface, but I don't see customers shaping them. Plus, overheat a pan and all bets are off. Heat rings wll eliminate them from being used on an electric stove flat glass surface - per stove instructions.
                      My Uncles camp has a wood burning stove/oven, heating combo and the only way we used the ring was to seal around the eye. You don't cook on a raging fire, you cook on the coals.
                      I need to take your word on this Jim. PigHuntress does most of the cooking. I use modern cookware on a gas range.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                        I think things that the kids associate with YOU are the best heirlooms. For example, I am thankful I have my dad's belt buckle. He bought a nice belt buckle years ago and wore it every day for a long time. It was his signature piece. My brother-in-law has a ring from his dad that he will never part with.
                        That’s exactly what I’m trying to do. My pocket knife and my pistol are already there. I have very little from any one in my family and I don’t want that for kids and grandkids.

Comment

From jhjimbo: " Plus, overheat a pan and all bets are off......"

Not entirely. I once bought a cast iron skillet at a going out of business storage sale. Once I got the skillet burned, wire brushed and clean, I realized it was warped. Possibly in a house fire. I went ahead and oiled and seasoned it, anyway, figuring it would be a decorative "wall hanger", anyway. Later that year, I wanted a seasoned, ready to go, skillet to take to my drilling rig job in Wyoming, so I packed up the warped skillet and took it, reasoning that I wouldn't lose much if for some reason, it didn't make it home. I used that same skillet for everything from frying bacon and eggs to baking cornbread for two weeks, and came home. My relief obviously used it also, as it was sitting on our three burner gas stove when I got back two weeks later. Long story short, with continued everyday use, over time, that skillet came back to nearly "true." It takes a discerning eye to notice the slight warp, and used right, the warp makes a good place to let bacon grease slide into, to flip over eggs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad