Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on heirloom quality gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on heirloom quality gear.

For some reason it has struck me this past year I want to start investing in heirloom quality gear. So I can pass it down to my children and grandchildren. I just ordered the axe which by the way it looks it’s going to turn into the same problem I have with guns. Might as well have a bunch of them. Any suggestions or ideas. My grandkids already love to camp so that’s why I bought the axe and plan on buying several more so they each can have one. I know it borders on ridiculous but if I didn’t spend money on them I would just waste it lol! The bigger part is actually making memories with them using the gear. I had a paradigm shift the other day. And I’m going to try to find a job that I don’t work weekends and no more 12 hour shifts. I want my time for them. I missed my kids growing up always working and I’ll be damned if I miss the grandkids. So that means I’m going to have to go back to management but for them it’s worth it to me. Anyways rambling again. All ideas and input are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    For some reason it has struck me this past year I want to start investing in heirloom quality gear. So I can pass it down to my children and grandchildren. I just ordered the axe which by the way it looks it’s going to turn into the same problem I have with guns. Might as well have a bunch of them. Any suggestions or ideas. My grandkids already love to camp so that’s why I bought the axe and plan on buying several more so they each can have one. I know it borders on ridiculous but if I didn’t spend money on them I would just waste it lol! The bigger part is actually making memories with them using the gear. I had a paradigm shift the other day. And I’m going to try to find a job that I don’t work weekends and no more 12 hour shifts. I want my time for them. I missed my kids growing up always working and I’ll be damned if I miss the grandkids. So that means I’m going to have to go back to management but for them it’s worth it to me. Anyways rambling again. All ideas and input are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Some suggestions: put your name on it - maybe with a hobby iron in your handwriting. Next be sure they see you use it. Those tips should personalize it for them to remember you by. Jim

Comment

I've never seen a U-haul following a hearse to the graveyard. Making time for relationships is more important than constant weekends and 12 hour shifts.

I don't understand having heirloom quality if it means the item is never used for fear of scratching it or reducing its value. For example, a nice painting should be hung on the wall for the enjoyment of looking at it. An expensive firearm that only stays in a safe and is handled only with gloves seems to be a waste.

I value more the things my loved ones actually enjoyed using. I have my grandfather's Bible, my grandfather-in-law's railroad pry bar, and my Mom's rocking chair. My Dad is still alive but has given me his old squirrel rifle and of course I cherish it just as much.

I suggest buying quality items that will last and your grandkids will associate with you as they see you use them. Maybe it's firearms, knives, and axes. Or it could be special tools, hats, or other equipment. But nothing lasts forever and the memories you make will be more precious than any material thing.

You're on the right path as far as I'm concerned.
      Last edited by PigHunter; 06-03-2021, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        I've never seen a U-haul following a hearse to the graveyard. Making time for relationships is more important than constant weekends and 12 hour shifts.

I don't understand having heirloom quality if it means the item is never used for fear of scratching it or reducing its value. For example, a nice painting should be hung on the wall for the enjoyment of looking at it. An expensive firearm that only stays in a safe and is handled only with gloves seems to be a waste.

I value more the things my loved ones actually enjoyed using. I have my grandfather's Bible, my grandfather-in-law's railroad pry bar, and my Mom's rocking chair. My Dad is still alive but has given me his old squirrel rifle and of course I cherish it just as much.

I suggest buying quality items that will last and your grandkids will associate with you as they see you use them. Maybe it's firearms, knives, and axes. Or it could be special tools, hats, or other equipment. But nothing lasts forever and the memories you make will be more precious than any material thing.

You're on the right path as far as I'm concerned.
        Very good information and suggestions PH ! I see there is heart felt affection in your thinking and intelligence in your words, well said !

Comment

I don't believe a true heirloom can be bought outright. I think they are earned. I just sold awhile back over $7,000 in guns because my 4 kids didn't want collector quality. They want the ones we used and still use. Another thing. If you raise them to be their own person and think for themselves they will buy their own guns and gear that they want, it won't be your decision. Your choices might end up unused and unloved in a closet or garage waiting for you to pass so they can sell it. Doesn't mean they didn't love you, just means they know what works best for them and didn't want your feelings hurt. You can't know 10 or 20 yrs from now what gear and guns will suit them best. How many guns do you still use you've had for 20 plus years? (If you have one or some congrats , you have a heirloom) How many have you switched to something else? My 2 cents. Apologies if I sound insensitive. Not my intent.

Comment

'dawg, great sounding plan, mi amigo!

Heirloom:
            That's one of the reasons I cruise "chain" pawn shops. Quality antiques at bargain basement prices.
            Win M12 and a Rem "Sportsman", both in 16 gauge. They are old and have seen some use, but they are all solid shooters.
            Both kids have seen me shoot and talk classic type guns and both already know who gets what and they love it.
            Then there are the collectibles I scarfed up prior to parenthood.

"New" and "shiney" isn't everything! Sometimes "old" and "classy" is really nice!

Comment

Making memories using things is the important part. Poor choice of words on my part. And yes they already want the things I use. My youngest has laid claim to 1911 I carry everyday. And my first deer rifle. And my marine corps stuff. And a lot of my hand tools. She gets it but also she’s lived with her mother her whole life and not me. So I think she wants to keep the connection and feel close to me for as long as possible. I guess what I should have quality gear that I can pass down.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                Making memories using things is the important part. Poor choice of words on my part. And yes they already want the things I use. My youngest has laid claim to 1911 I carry everyday. And my first deer rifle. And my marine corps stuff. And a lot of my hand tools. She gets it but also she’s lived with her mother her whole life and not me. So I think she wants to keep the connection and feel close to me for as long as possible. I guess what I should have quality gear that I can pass down.
                Sounds like good priorities there, 'dawg!
                My kids, prior to graduation, were into, "What M & D use!"
                Cast iron cookware, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Sounds like good priorities there, 'dawg!
                  My kids, prior to graduation, were into, "What M & D use!"
                  Cast iron cookware, etc....
                  Holy Cow, Bubba, not three seconds before my eyes fell on the words "cast iron" in your comment, I was saying to myself, "My mom's cast iron skillets." Definitely fits all the requirements of quality, usefulness, and family ties.

So yeah, Milldawg, I was going to say -- I've got my mom's two big black skillets, which were my grandmother's before hers, and it means a lot to have them. Not always just in terms of fishing and hunting, but there were definitely a lot of brook trout and venison steaks cooked in those pans when I was growing up. Probably countless more long before I was even thought of. Most of my fish and wild meat get cooked in them.

And your grandkids will be giving the cookware to their grandkids. Best stuff for camp cooking, too. When I was younger I'd even deal with the weight and take one of them when I was backpack camping. No longer -- though I do have one of those small, oval-shaped cast iron steak-pans they use at Applebee's, which someone must have swiped from there one time and given to me, not that I actually remember where it came from. That's only about a pound. Perfect for cooking a serving of bacon in the morning or a couple of small fish.

Comment

MattM37, my two kids are using cast iron cookware that belonged to their great grandmother. LOL!
                    We still have her "Wagner Ware" pan that makes the little ear corn cornbread sticks!

Comment

My wife has her mother’s cast iron and her grandmothers corn bread pans.

Comment

Good cast iron cookware is forever! 😀

Comment

Wagner of Sidney, Ohio is a few years older than Griswold of Erie, Pa.
                          Trivia: do you know what the raised edge on the bottom of a fry pan is ??

Comment

From jhjimbo: "Trivia: do you know what the raised edge on the bottom of a fry pan is ??"

It is a ring cast on the bottom that can be milled perfectly flat, so the skillet will set level. Much easier to mill or machine the small ring around the outside of the pan than it would be to mill the whole surface.

Comment

I'll have to do some digging, but it seems I've got a "Wagner Ware" skillet without the ring. I won't swear to it. I'll have to look.

Why is a manhole cover round?
                              Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-03-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad