No announcement yet.

Quality axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back during the "Big Freeze", I had need of an axe, but didn't want to spend big money.
    I reached into the bargain end of the axe rack at Lowe's and came out with a double bit with the yellow fiberglass handle that had the rubber coating on half the handle.
    BIG mistake!
    That rubberized handle don't slip for beans!

Comment

I have found that chopping roots with an axe is a waste of time and energy because of the bounce.
      A hand pruning saw usually does the trick.
      Ditto with long handled lopping shears.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        I have found that chopping roots with an axe is a waste of time and energy because of the bounce.
        A hand pruning saw usually does the trick.
        Ditto with long handled lopping shears.
        You obviously either were working with small roots and/or didn't know what you were doing. I bet you've never cleared a large stump with main tap-root. Just saying...

Comment

Roots can be a pain when they're small and springy, but using a good axe is never a waste of time or energy. You just use it a different way. Stand there and chop down at little roots that give way into the ground as the axe-head comes down, and yes, you're being a nincompoop, to put it nicely. Heft the axe with one hand nearer the head (easy-peasy with the versatile Hudson Bay style), kneel down, and grasp the roots with your free hand. Maintain a safe distance between hands, be mindful of your knees, and simply cut with the axe using short, swiping chops that are more like knife strokes.
          Last edited by MattM37; 06-16-2021, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Around here we have far too much rock for a saw blade, you know what happens with a reciprocating saw when the tip of the blade contacts something solid. Never mind trashing the edge.

Lately I’ve just ripped the suckers out of the ground with the loader.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              Around here we have far too much rock for a saw blade, you know what happens with a reciprocating saw when the tip of the blade contacts something solid. Never mind trashing the edge.

Lately I’ve just ripped the suckers out of the ground with the loader.
              Last tree I took down, I tied a chain to and broke it off with my one ton Dodge! LOL!
              It was rotten down through the center and broke pretty easily.

Comment

Last month I removed two 6-inch diameter Leyland Cypress trees that had the blight (fungus). Took a full sized bowsaw to them, leaving about a foot above ground. Then limbed them with the double-bit. The long bare trunks were then sawn into about 5-foot sections.

I used a Hi-Lift jack laying on it's side to remove the stumps. At one end, a large web strap was wrapped around a nearby oak, connected to a 25-ft logging chain. At the other, I wrapped a 10-foot section of chain around each stump in turn. Slowly cranking, I jacked those stumps right out of the ground, taking a break now and then to chop at exposed roots with that cheap fiberglass handled axe. Those trees do not develop deep, large taproots and tend to spread their roots horizontally.

Once the stumps were out, I used a pick mattock to knock most of the dirt from the root ball. All was hauled to the street in several wheelbarrow loads for the city to remove. No power tools or vehicles were used. Pretty easy.
                Last edited by PigHunter; 06-16-2021, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody here has suggested using a stump-grinder.

Comment

I also bought a 29.00 splitting mail from Walmart. We see how it works this weekend also. My wife is none to happy with spending 500 bucks on two axes. She will get over it. I have a feeling it’s going to be price of crap. So GB spitting maul here we come lol.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Last tree I took down, I tied a chain to and broke it off with my one ton Dodge! LOL!
                      It was rotten down through the center and broke pretty easily.
                      I’ve done that before myself. But I used a Ford ranger. Back in my younger days.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                        I’ve done that before myself. But I used a Ford ranger. Back in my younger days.
                        Do you know how to check your "PM's" 'dawg?

Comment

I think so let me check

Comment

Yes I do I replied

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

Yes I do I replied
                              Talk to you soon!

Comment

Used the double-bit on Sunday when clearing shooting lanes and fallen trees from trails. Had a bow saw too. That was adequate for what needed to be done.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad