Quality axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality axe

Gave up on the camp knife. And did a little more research. I figure I got three grandsons. So I might as well buy a good quality hatchet, camp axe and a felling axe and probably a splinter.

I read the articles on here and then started doing my own research. I figured out you get what you put for.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome. I find the Hudson Bay pattern to be very handy. I know to use an axe and I used to be able to spit wood with the best of them.
    I’m going to buy the book recommended on here and read it and pass it to my son in law. I know how to use an axe but I figure I can learn something. Never to old to learn new things.

I actually got use my camper on Mother’s Day weekend and had a blast my kids took their camper and we had the site next to them. And I want grandsons to be able to use an ax properly it’s a skill a man should have.

Again any suggestions on brands or lengths and input or advice it appreciated.

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    Gave up on the camp knife. And did a little more research. I figure I got three grandsons. So I might as well buy a good quality hatchet, camp axe and a felling axe and probably a splinter.

I read the articles on here and then started doing my own research. I figured out you get what you put for.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome. I find the Hudson Bay pattern to be very handy. I know to use an axe and I used to be able to spit wood with the best of them.
    I’m going to buy the book recommended on here and read it and pass it to my son in law. I know how to use an axe but I figure I can learn something. Never to old to learn new things.

I actually got use my camper on Mother’s Day weekend and had a blast my kids took their camper and we had the site next to them. And I want grandsons to be able to use an ax properly it’s a skill a man should have.

Again any suggestions on brands or lengths and input or advice it appreciated.
    Wood that is tough to split, split it when it is frozen and it usually works. Elm comes to mind.

guys I know like double edge axes - not sure why.

Comment

Not a fan of a double bit axe. Guess I haven’t used them much. But I prefer a single bit ax.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that an axe is just another tool and you don't have to get a pretty one or spend a lot to do the job well.

I've used single-bit axes most of my life. The full sized single-bit I use most has an ugly yellow plastic handle. Probably paid less than $30 for it. That axe has taken much abuse and the bright handle makes it easy to find when laid down in brush or woods.

9 years ago I wanted a good hatchet to carry in the 4x4 and settled on the Estwing E44A with 14.75-inch handle. I added an after market leather sheath. With it I can deliver more force to the chop compared to shorter hatchets. It makes a great hammer too.

Estwing E44A Forged Steel Camp Axe with 14.75-in Steel Handle in the Axes department at Lowes.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	Estwing E44A.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	772384

Then I started buying a few old hatchets and axes at the flea market, putting on new handles. One was a boy's axe (head slightly heavier than a hatchet) and it now has a 28-inch curved handle. I keep it in the trunk of my work sedan.

But my favorite now is a full size double-bit, flea market find. That is my go-to for felling and trimming. The profile is a little thin for splitting but does fine otherwise.
        Last edited by PigHunter; 05-26-2021, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I have an Estwing campers axe that’s similar to the one PH has, difference is the handle is 16”. Mine came with a leather sheath. They have a thin profile as well so not suited for splitting big stuff. Pretty much indestructible if you keep the blade off rocks and don’t bend the handle sideways.

Have an old double bit I bought at an auction with a few other tools for a total of $2. That gets used for chopping tree roots and such.

Comment

"... That gets used for chopping tree roots and such. ..." 😖!
            My grampa would have a "hissy fit"! LOL!

My grampa was an artist with an axe. He could use it equally right or left handed. He could split wood (red oak) with the precision of a surgeon! But then, he was MY grampa! 😀!

He would only use a double bit axe. One bit was kept razor sharp, the other bit was the root chopping, sprout cutting, wood splitting, general duty bit.
            My dad prefered a single bit poll (polled?) axe but he wouldn't split wood with it. He used a double bit for that.
            But then, the two of them would only cut a red oak for fire wood!

The only way to split elm is with a mechanical splitter. Elm has no grain. Remember the old poem?

"Elm wood burns like church yard mold,
            And even the very flames are cold."

Comment

Fitch, we may have the same Estwing model. It's often listed as 16 inch and I think that includes the head. You're right about being near indestructible. Most likely my great great grandchildren will still have it in the 22nd century.

I had the shorter version with leather wrapped handle. It had belonged to my ex grandfather-in-law and I got it after his passing. Cleaned off the rust, put mink oil on the handle, and made a sheath for it. Gave it to my son.
              Last edited by PigHunter; 05-26-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Chopping tree roots and other nasty jobs is perfect for the cheap plastic handled axe. There's one carried by Tractor Supply for $25. Would work as well as a $200 fancy axe.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Chopping tree roots and other nasty jobs is perfect for the cheap plastic handled axe. There's one carried by Tractor Supply for $25. Would work as well as a $200 fancy axe.
                  Yeppers! Got one of those too! Worked okay splitting some mesquite I cut up, but would hate to know i had to work up a cord of heater (12") wood with it!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    I'm of the opinion that an axe is just another tool and you don't have to get a pretty one or spend a lot to do the job well.

I've used single-bit axes most of my life. The full sized single-bit I use most has an ugly yellow plastic handle. Probably paid less than $30 for it. That axe has taken much abuse and the bright handle makes it easy to find when laid down in brush or woods.

9 years ago I wanted a good hatchet to carry in the 4x4 and settled on the Estwing E44A with 14.75-inch handle. I added an after market leather sheath. With it I can deliver more force to the chop compared to shorter hatchets. It makes a great hammer too.

Estwing E44A Forged Steel Camp Axe with 14.75-in Steel Handle in the Axes department at Lowes.com

Click image for larger version Name:	Estwing E44A.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	772384

Then I started buying a few old hatchets and axes at the flea market, putting on new handles. One was a boy's axe (head slightly heavier than a hatchet) and it now has a 28-inch curved handle. I keep it in the trunk of my work sedan.

But my favorite now is a full size double-bit, flea market find. That is my go-to for felling and trimming. The profile is a little thin for splitting but does fine otherwise.
                    I don’t have time to go to flea markets anymore or restore them. I would love it but time is what I don’t have. And I don’t spend money on really much of anything. I’ve lived modestly my whole life. But my guilty pleasure has become nice guns and hunting gear. I don’t wear 300 dollar sunglasses and 35 dollar hats or designer jeans. But I’m getting to the point in my life where I want nicer things.

I agree that it is another tool. As professional millwright/mechanic for my entire adult life I have learned the hard way quality tools make a huge difference. I completely forgot about estwing products. Thank you for the reminder. I guess it’s time to take a closer look. But I will also say I like to have different things that not necessarily everyone else has. Just to be different not be snobbish. I do love a stacked leather handle. And thank you for the links. I am going to bookmark this post and make time to watch them all. But some reason videos don’t stick with me like reading does guess I’m getting old.

Comment

Milldawg, I totally understand about wanting to be different and am the same. Along those lines here's some other ideas. I've always been interested in Gransfor Bruks but have never justified the expense. Council Tool appears to have great products and I believe they are made in the USA.

Estwing Fireside Friend: can be used for hammering the crap out of tent pegs and splitting kindling.

Amazon.com: Estwing Special Edition Fireside Friend Axe - 14" Wood Splitting Maul with Forged Steel Construction & Genuine Leather Grip - EFF4SE: Garden & Outdoor

Gransfor Bruks Small Forest Axe:

Amazon.com: Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe 19 Inch, 420: Garden & Outdoor

Council Tool Hudson Bay Camp Axe with 24-inch handle:

Amazon.com : Council Tool 2.0 Lb Hudson Bay Camp Axe, 24 Inch Curved Handle with Leather Sheath : Garden & Outdoor

Amazon.com : Council Tool Velvicut 2.25 Pound Premium Bad Axe Boy's Axe with Sheath : Velvicut : Garden & Outdoor

Amazon.com : Council Tool 2# Wood-Craft Pack Axe, 24" Hickory Handle : Garden & Outdoor

Hults Bruk Kisa Medium Sized Felling Axe:

Amazon.com: Hults Bruk Kisa Medium Sized Felling Axe: Garden & Outdoor
                      Last edited by PigHunter; 05-26-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

If you have Vol. 125, No.2, you can read DEP's recommendations on axes. If you don't have that issue, you can find the story by going to the F&S main page, click on Dave's name wherever you find it, and you'll see 145 pages of titles by him. The article about axes is on page 5.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                          If you have Vol. 125, No.2, you can read DEP's recommendations on axes. If you don't have that issue, you can find the story by going to the F&S main page, click on Dave's name wherever you find it, and you'll see 145 pages of titles by him. The article about axes is on page 5.
                          Read it thank you!

Comment

Milldawg, here's another source for axe purchases:

Search Results | Forestry Suppliers, Inc. (forestry-suppliers.com)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad