Dumb Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Gear

What are some of the worthless or silly items of hunting or fishing gear you remember over the years?

Remember the "Hunt-N-Buddy?" The inflatable life-size "hunter" doll you put on your stand before deer season, so the deer would get used to it and not spook when you're actually sitting there? Good stuff.

Well, those early safety belts were pretty stupid. Especially the kind that just went around the waist. I'm glad to have never needed one to save a fall.

I've used knife blade gut hooks and think their unnecessary. Won't do it again and don't want knives that have them. Used the belt sander to grind two off my knives.

I've tried tree seats and found them not worth the trouble. Instead I just carry a small three or four-legged stool.

The silliest I can think of is the Hunters Specialties Butt Out

Click image for larger version

Name:	Butt Out Tool.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	768118

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Well, those early safety belts were pretty stupid. Especially the kind that just went around the waist. I'm glad to have never needed one to save a fall.

I've used knife blade gut hooks and think their unnecessary. Won't do it again and don't want knives that have them. Used the belt sander to grind two off my knives.

I've tried tree seats and found them not worth the trouble. Instead I just carry a small three or four-legged stool.

ID:	768118
      LMBO!!!!
      When I saw MattM37's thread title, that stupid "butt-out" was the first thing that crossed my mind!
      Then I get down here and it's the top of pighunters list! HAHAHA!!!

"Doe-N-Heat" hand warmers?
      Who wants to sit in a blind/stand snorting hot doe pee?

Comment

[QUOTE=PigHunter;n768117]Well, those early safety belts were pretty stupid. Especially the kind that just went around the waist. I'm glad to have never needed one to save a fall.

ID:	768118[/QUOTE

I remember Bill Heavey writing about the Butt Out. Can't remember if he was endorsing it or making fun of it.

Comment

BUTT OUTS: I have two of them, thank you. Both old and new improved version with I guess depth control. Haven't used them yet as I keep forgetting them and already have it cut out while I'm cleaning with my knfie when I remember it. But someday I'll run across the biggest meanest chasm and while others flee I will stand my ground and face the hole. Can't decide to fashion a holster and wear it on my hip or wear it around my neck on a gold chain. Also, someday I'll come across two idiots arguing and when I try to interject and they say, "Butt out!" I'll whip it out. Might even pry their cranium from their rectum just cause I have the tool to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            BUTT OUTS: I have two of them, thank you. Both old and new improved version with I guess depth control. Haven't used them yet as I keep forgetting them and already have it cut out while I'm cleaning with my knfie when I remember it. But someday I'll run across the biggest meanest chasm and while others flee I will stand my ground and face the hole. Can't decide to fashion a holster and wear it on my hip or wear it around my neck on a gold chain. Also, someday I'll come across two idiots arguing and when I try to interject and they say, "Butt out!" I'll whip it out. Might even pry their cranium from their rectum just cause I have the tool to do it!
            That could be considered armed with a painful weapon.

Comment

My nomination.

Name:	3AF99B29-EDD5-45B4-861B-FD6121CDB154.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	768163

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                My nomination.

Name:	3AF99B29-EDD5-45B4-861B-FD6121CDB154.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	768163
                Remember Ron Popiel and his "Pocket Fisherman"?
                He made millions with that goofy crap he sold! LOL!
                The "Rhinestone and Stud Setter"?
                Hand sewing machine?

Comment

[QUOTE=fitch270;n768162]My nomination.

Dang it Fitch, I had two of them as well. Traded one for a tent, don't remember what happened to the other one🙄

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Remember Ron Popiel and his "Pocket Fisherman"?
                    He made millions with that goofy crap he sold! LOL!
                    The "Rhinestone and Stud Setter"?
                    Hand sewing machine?
                    That's the one in the pic, FB. I think they made them in different colors.

Comment

[QUOTE=dewman;n768171]
                      Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      My nomination.

Dang it Fitch, I had two of them as well. Traded one for a tent, don't remember what happened to the other one🙄

Mine was a gift from a well intentioned relative. I used to see them on garage sales occasionally, if I ever run across one I'll have to buy it for the Kid just as a gag. Might even go as high as $2.

If the tent didn't leak you did well.

Comment

I keep hearing that commercial in my head, that old guy named Uncle Jerry Holler crying "Hawwww, Magic Bait!" And there was some minnow-lure contraption, some umbrella-shaped thing with seven or eight different minnows on it. That might have been a Ron Popeil thing, too.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          Wear it slung down your back between your shoulder blades, like Conan carried his broadsword.

Anyway, that might be your funniest posts ever.

Comment

I am sitting here looking at Popeil's Pocket Fisherman'. Like new in the box since 1972. I suppose in an emergency, but I try to stay away from emergencies. $19.95 original price.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0706.JPG Views:	0 Size:	731.4 KB ID:	768579 Click image for larger version  Name:	pocket fisherman.JPG Views:	0 Size:	739.1 KB ID:	768580
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-05-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I have actually caught fish on a pocket fisherman when I was a kid. And I would do it now just make a point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad