Most useful thing ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most useful thing ...

What's been your most useful new gear or clothing purchase the last few months?
    Last edited by MattM37; 01-25-2021, 04:19 PM.

I came across a pair of socks at a Ace hardware in a small town near camp. The old time kind of store that has everything you might need. I spotted the socks and a clerk said they are the warmest and they sell the most of them. Not cheap, I bought a pair and he was right. The warmest, most comfortable I have - they are called 'Heat Holders'. About $35.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      I came across a pair of socks at a Ace hardware in a small town near camp. The old time kind of store that has everything you might need. I spotted the socks and a clerk said they are the warmest and they sell the most of them. Not cheap, I bought a pair and he was right. The warmest, most comfortable I have - they are called 'Heat Holders'. About $35.
      I'm in the market now for some new boots, socks, gloves, and mittens. First time ever, this past deer season, my toes and fingers got painfully cold. Never had that problem before. Partly I think it's just aging -- I'll be 50 this year -- and also some cardiology concerns came up over the past few months, nothing major, but have to realize that my circulatory system might not be the efficient machine I always took for granted. I guess you can't outrun the family history after all. (Funny thing is, I was reading over some of my old posts and found one where I was gloating to FirstBubba about how much bacon I eat. Hey, Bubba, I've cut it down to just twice a week!)

But also: A lot of my stuff is just plain old. Insulation wears out. My Muck Arctic Pros and Cabelas leather hunting boots are both a few years old. None of my wool socks are exactly threadbare but definitely have lost the soft wool loft you need to really stay warm.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C22A6E86-61ED-46ED-BA4D-E25829E85B09.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	766506

Next question.

Comment

Actually Matt, you made me realize that I haven’t purchased anything else of significance since gearing up for last year’s trip, and most of that was bought well in advance since we booked two years out. Could be part of the reason I haven’t thought twice about investing in reloading.

If you’re in the market for new outdoor clothing you’d do well to check into Sierra Trading Post online, it’s clearance time for winter gear.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I'm in the market now for some new boots, socks, gloves, and mittens. First time ever, this past deer season, my toes and fingers got painfully cold. Never had that problem before. Partly I think it's just aging -- I'll be 50 this year -- and also some cardiology concerns came up over the past few months, nothing major, but have to realize that my circulatory system might not be the efficient machine I always took for granted. I guess you can't outrun the family history after all. (Funny thing is, I was reading over some of my old posts and found one where I was gloating to FirstBubba about how much bacon I eat. Hey, Bubba, I've cut it down to just twice a week!)

But also: A lot of my stuff is just plain old. Insulation wears out. My Muck Arctic Pros and Cabelas leather hunting boots are both a few years old. None of my wool socks are exactly threadbare but definitely have lost the soft wool loft you need to really stay warm.
            I stopped almost 30 years ago eating bacon and cut down on eggs. My cholesterol is under 100.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              Actually Matt, you made me realize that I haven’t purchased anything else of significance since gearing up for last year’s trip, and most of that was bought well in advance since we booked two years out. Could be part of the reason I haven’t thought twice about investing in reloading.

If you’re in the market for new outdoor clothing you’d do well to check into Sierra Trading Post online, it’s clearance time for winter gear.
              Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
              Any story behind the pelt hanging next to your table?

Comment

Name:	36D425CC-B064-4E8E-9BAC-17557EB315E5.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	766596 Click image for larger version

Name:	A7C15364-3B22-43DF-92FA-C7465C80B92B.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	766595

Target of opportunity mid deer season. I shot him moments after he passed by the camera but left him lay just in case something else showed up. I had my first mounted so just tanned this one. I’d like to make a hat out of the pelt but don’t want to screw it up.

Comment

Nothing purchased recently, but my last purchases were a LR Carlson Cremator choke tube and V3 autoloader to go with it. Hasn’t changed my shooting much but lighter recoil.

Comment

I like shooting accurate rifles. I purchased parts to make a 6mm Dasher and built one in the last few months. Parts were hard to find but with lots of searching I found everything I needed. I made it for F-Class Open competition. I've only been out to test it once so far and haven't yet started load testing. Here is the first 3-shot 100 yard group I shot with it in its brief operation test. This target has a 3/8" white center (I shoot these off center intentionally so I don't blow up my target). I think it will be a shooter and might just be the cat's meow! The brackets show the average velocity, extreme velocity spread and standard deviation.

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	766643

Comment

fitch270 "Next question."
                      Now we know where all the ammo is going... happy shooting!

Comment

Most useful thing I've purchased to assist me was a shoulder implant!
                        Aug '21 will be 2 years and I'll be back to shooting.
                        No mag loads/firearms! But then I don't like "mangrums" anyhow! LOL!
                        MSR's and semiauto shotguns only.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                          I've upgraded much of my gear in the last 18 months. This has been a mild winter and I had no problem staying warm. Here's what's been working well:

Boots:
                          Amazon.com | Danner Men's 41341 Pronghorn 8" GTX 400G Hunting Shoe, Realtree Edge - 9 D US | Hunting

Hat - Orange Cap:
                          The Hat Depot 300N Washed Cotton Low Profile Baseball Cap (Orange) at Amazon Men’s Clothing store

Hat - Beanie:
                          Amazon.com : Mossy Oak Country Reversible Blaze Orange / Camo Hunting Knit Beanie : Clothing

Outer layer jacket:
                          Amazon.com: Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 Fleece Lined Camo Hunting Jacket for Men, Camouflage Clothes: Clothing

Shirt:
                          Amazon.com: Mossy Oak Cotton Mill 2.0 Long Sleeve Camo Hunting Shirts for Men: Clothing

Pants:
                          Amazon.com: Mossy Oak Cotton Mill 2.0 Camo Hunting Camouflage Pants: Clothing

Binoculars:
                          Amazon.com : Nikon 7576 MONARCH 5 8x42 Binocular (Black) : Sports & Outdoors

Spotting Scope:
                          Amazon.com: Gosky 2019 Updated 20-60x80 Spotting Scope with Tripod, Carrying Bag and Smartphone Adapter - BAK4 Angled Telescope - Newest Waterproof Scope for Target Shooting Hunting Bird Watching Wildlife Scenery: Camera & Photo

Bipod:
                          Amazon.com : Caldwell XLA Fixed 9-13 Inch Bipod with Adjustable Notched Legs and Slim Folding Design for Easy Transport, Rifle Stability, and Target Shooting : Gun Monopods Bipods And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Magnetic Gun Mount:
                          Amazon.com: GMW Gun Magnet [2-Pack] | 30 lbs. Rating Magnetic Gun Mount | HQ Rubber Coated Gun Accessories Gun Magnet Buckler Series for Car, Truck, Desks, Safes, and Walls | Concealed Gun Holder for Handgun: Sports & Outdoors

Clamp-On Boat Lights:
                          Amazon.com: Attwood 14191-7 Clamp-On Portable Marine Boat Navigation Light Kit: Sports & Outdoors
                          Good haul. Reminds me of the old days when every third or fourth tax refund, I'd head to Bass Pro and fill up a cart. I like using stuff to death but it does feel good to go shopping.

Comment

Well since I didn’t go hunting this past season no new hunting. But i got the ar pistol last fall got the carbine parts this month. Oh got two sig sauer Romeo5 in the mail yesterday. And thinking of buying some surefire weapons lights for the carbine and pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

If you stand hunt get some Artic Shield over booties - no more cold feet. In the old days we used to stand on our HotSeat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad