Most useful thing ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter

Thanks. I'm much like you and use items until they're either worn out (boots and clothes) or I'm tired of the lower quality (spotting scope, binoculars, and boat lights). The bipod was to improve my shooting at the range. The jacket provides warmth with less bulk than my old one.

The gun mount magnets help for stashing home defense firearms out of sight but keeping them close at hand.
    Do the magnets mar the surface ? Are the lights for your canoe ? I have some clamp on for a open boat but may up grade to those with LED's. I like going out at night but have to be careful. I was out about 10 miles one night and heading in where I knew I was going to cross a shipping route about half way in. Going along 1/4 speed looking at surroundings for other boats. HOLY SHIT, there it was, almost on top of me. An Ocean freighter crossing my course going about 8 knots. Never heard him. I hit reverse and he went by about 1/8 mile in front of me. His Red light (Port), which gives him the right of way was about 30' in the air. I learned my lesson that night. If I go out to sleep I go in some places well off used routes of commercial or private boats. Have to leave a white light on (another reason I want to switch over to LED for less battery drain. Another thing I am going to do is carry a radar detector so if a boat does come in my area I may get a beep.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Nope, the magnets have a soft plastic coating and don't mar the surface of guns or magazines. So far I've used them on home furniture but am considering installing one under the dash of my car for holding a handgun. I've tried one on a fully loaded 870, planning to hold it to a closet wall, totally suspended off the floor. But it slid down so I'm thinking you should use two magnets for a long gun or plan on the stock touching the floor.

I'm down to just two canoes, having given the old jon boat to my brother. The clamp-on lights are for the canoes when I go hunting along larger rivers. Alabama regulations require lights when away from the dock between sunset and sunrise as well as in other periods of restricted visibility. I use them when paddling and when using a trolling motor after dark.

The LEDs are brighter than the incandescent and the batteries last longer. I like the option to easily remove the clamp-on lights to get them out of the way for day paddling and boat storage.

That was indeed a close call for you with the freighter. In Alabama, all boats are required to display a white light visible from all directions whenever moored or anchored away from a dock at night.

Are there gators in your area?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad