Hunting pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting pants?

This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth a seperate post.

Back in the day I wore regular blue jeans in the woods like most everyone else, except for the old timers with wool hunting pants or the downstate guys with the head to toe blaze orange polyester duds. Eventually camo jeans became available and I used those for years. Upside to jeans are that they're cut in waist and lenght sizes you can specifically choose. Downside is cotton doesn't cut it in cold and/or wet conditions. I have one pair that mostly gets used during spring turkey season when the weather is decent.

The past 10-12 years I've been rotating mainly between two pairs of hunting pants, one fleece and another of softshell material. I'm not wild about the fit of either even though both have their place. I like the fleece for sitting on stand in colder weather and the softshell when I'm moving more. Problem I have with both is I fall in between a small and medium size. I'm thinking at some point I'll break down and get something from one of the technical hunting wear outfits that actually fits right. I'm finding as I'm getting older I'm becoming less tolerant of clothes that aren't comfortable to wear in general. I used to wear work clothes until they looked like rags but no longer. Even casual favorites that have simply stretched out are finding their way to the donation bins.

I'm not looking for suggestions, just curious what you're comfortable wearing in the field?

You name it. Bibs, coveralls, sweats, jeans, fleece, heavy cotton(Carhartt), wool, army issue pants, some camo some not, some needed suspenders, some belts, sometimes both, sometimes neither. Never did the synthetic orange snowmobile suit. Most people I know who wore them alternated between sweating and freezing. Wore leather boots, rubber boots, rubber bottom leather boots(L.L.Bean) hikers, tennis shoes, even crocs. I guess I don't have a hunting only outfit. I just wear whatever as long as I can be comfortable and can be still.

Comment

Most of the time, it's just everyday work clothes. Some form of blue jeans.
      I really cold weather, a set of insulated bibs works really well.
      I really like hitting places like Atwood's and Tractor Supply after season is over. Quite often, I can find camo jeans or pants on sale. Sometimes, good stuff like Wranglers.
      I have one pair of flannel lined, tan jeans that work well in cold weather and aren't as cumbersome as the bibs. I think $12 on sale at Tractor Supply.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	deer 12 2 2013 002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	973.8 KB ID:	761505 Click image for larger version  Name:	Jim Adrondacks Jeep.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	761506 My every day hunting are an old pair of camo Carhart heavy weight - almost like canvas. Add some UnderArmour long jons for colder weather and for real cold I go to some synthetic bibs and long coat/vest or right to my Filson red/black Parka and matching Wool Pants with under Armour. Military soft wool scarf and a muffler for my hands. Hat is either a Filson, Stormy Kromer or Convertible Jones Cap - camo to blaze orange.
        Jones cap and Filson parka and Stormy Kromer hat Filson parka and Carhart pants Remington 7400 30-06.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 11-30-2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder, I add cotton long johns or insulated long johns or both. As it gets really cold, I add insulated bibs and sweat shirts over my shirt. When it reaches about 30 below, I begin to look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy but I stay warm.

Comment

I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what I use to stay dry in the rain. Below 40 I'll wear synthetic long bottoms under the pants. Insulated bibs and a coat are added if I plan to stay still in a stand. The only wool I use is for socks. Insulated Danner boots when it's below 40, uninsulated Danner boots in warmer temps.

Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 Lined Jacket

In warmer times, headgear is an orange Goretex boonie. When it's cooler, I use a reversable beenie.

Amazon.com: Outdoor Cap Company 41119 Goretex Boonie Hat Blaze Orange: Clothing

Amazon.com : Mossy Oak Country Reversible Blaze Orange / Camo Hunting Knit Beanie : Clothing

A full knit baclava is for sitting still in a stand.

Gloves are fingerless fleece
            Amazon.com : Glacier Glove Alaska River Fingerless Glove S - Realtree Edge, 707RT S : Cold Weather Gloves : Clothing

Last year I switched to Mossy Oak "Breakup Country" for my main camo pattern. The six-pocket pants did well all last season and that's what I've been using so far this season. Very well made without being too heavy. My clothes are size XL.

Mossy Oak Men's Cotton Mill 2.0 Hunt Pant

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mossy Oak Pants.JPG Views:	7 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	761512

Amazon.com: Mossy Oak Cotton Mill 2.0 Long Sleeve Camo Hunting Shirts for Men: Clothing
            Last edited by PigHunter; 11-30-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Depends on where I am. In Texas, early season, I wear regular cotton bibs and shirt, late season, I wear the Carharts or insulated Carharts. Oklahoma is always later, last part of November, and I wear Carhart camo bibs, either regular, or insulated. New Mexico, I wore the insulated Carhart cammies, with a heavy weight Gore Tex parka and Carhart long johns. I seldom travel without my "cold weather bag", which has wool socks, extra long johns, insulated gloves, and a camouflaged rain suit and parka. Some days, I just hunt in what I left the house in, which is usually jeans, shirt and boots.

Comment

I like Carhart work-pants, gray and green ones now, and brown ones when it's not deer season. For winter small-game, I wear a pair of the heavy canvas ones, good protection from thorns. I also use the brown or gray ones for spring turkey -- I did have a good pair of old surplus camo pants, but this fall my suspender-teeth ripped out the belt-line and then I started losing buttons. Sewing ain't my strong suit. I got a good twenty years out of those camo pants, though. And all my Carhart pants are stained enough to basically be camo, anyway.

I also have a set of Walls heavy insulated bib overalls for really cold weather. Don't use them for deer season since they're brown, but I like them for small-game hunting or general rambling around in January and February.

The only long johns I have right now are a couple sets of Dickies brand, wool and polyester. They're adequate but that's about it. Even online I can't find the stuff I used to have, that really nice wool-polypro stuff, gray in color, super warm and soft (as long as you kept it out of the dryer). Luckily this deer season, it hasn't been very cold yet.
                Last edited by MattM37; 12-02-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  I like Carhart work-pants, gray and green ones now, and brown ones when it's not deer season. For winter small-game, I wear a pair of the heavy canvas ones, good protection from thorns. I also use the brown or gray ones for spring turkey -- I did have a good pair of old surplus camo pants, but this fall my suspender-teeth ripped out the belt-line and then I started losing buttons. Sewing ain't my strong suit. I got a good twenty years out of those camo pants, though. And all my Carhart pants are stained enough to basically be camo, anyway.

I also have a set of Walls heavy insulated bib overalls for really cold weather. Don't use them for deer season since they're brown, but I like them for small-game hunting or general rambling around in January and February.

The only long johns I have right now are a couple sets of Dickies brand, wool and polyester. They're adequate but that's about it. Even online I can't find the stuff I used to have, that really nice wool-polypro stuff, gray in color, super warm and soft (as long as you kept it out of the dryer). Luckily this deer season, it hasn't been very cold yet.
                  Damn great to hear from you!

Comment

Thanks, Fitch. Damn good to be here again.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Hey Matt, Hello. Where you been ?

Comment

My current hunting i buy at sams club for less than 20 a pair. They are weatherproof not really but that’s what the tag says they do repel water a little bit more important they are green not olive drab a little darker. They have a stretch waist and the material is heavy enough without being to much. They are a taper leg so they fit in rubber boots more comfortable. And they generally wear very comfortably. I like them so much next trip I’m buy a size up to fit long handles under them a little better. And for 20 bucks I don’t think I can find a better deal. Wore them all last season and they haven’t faded I have to wash them every trip mud. I’m thinking of buy six or seven pairs because it seems when I find something I really like they quit making them.

Comment

Milldawg: You're right about discontinuing gear even though popular. Happens all the time. Best reason I can tell is we hunters have got it in our heads that anything new is better and buying it first (no matter if the price is ridiculous) means we know it all. No one so expert as someone with logos splashed all over their stuff like they're being sponsored. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                            My current hunting i buy at sams club for less than 20 a pair. They are weatherproof not really but that’s what the tag says they do repel water a little bit more important they are green not olive drab a little darker. They have a stretch waist and the material is heavy enough without being to much. They are a taper leg so they fit in rubber boots more comfortable. And they generally wear very comfortably. I like them so much next trip I’m buy a size up to fit long handles under them a little better. And for 20 bucks I don’t think I can find a better deal. Wore them all last season and they haven’t faded I have to wash them every trip mud. I’m thinking of buy six or seven pairs because it seems when I find something I really like they quit making them.
                            Sounds similar to the Wrangler Outdoor Pants I found out about a couple years ago and like a lot. I have four pair total, two each for work and casual wear. I’ve thought about wearing them hunting but the only colors I’ve found in my size are tan or grey. Even with a blaze vest it seems wrong. Already this year I haven’t found any in my size so I may be out of luck replacing the one pair I wear most.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad