No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser

Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got a new rail on the way for the ranch rifle, and my concern is that with the extra height of the rail, I'll need a good a cheek riser to get a good comfortable cheek weld. I don't really feel comfortable drilling into that stock, and I don't know a gunsmith I would trust with it. So... I'm looking at an adjustable cheek riser.

I found the Bradley which seems to be really highley reviewed, but it's pricey compared to some of the other options.

So what do you think? Good idea or setting myself up for failure? I'm concerned that thing might shift, but the claims are it's pretty solid. Anyone ever use one?

How about the military one that stitches up ?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got a new rail on the way for the ranch rifle, and my concern is that with the extra height of the rail, I'll need a good a cheek riser to get a good comfortable cheek weld. I don't really feel comfortable drilling into that stock, and I don't know a gunsmith I would trust with it. So... I'm looking at an adjustable cheek riser.

I found the Bradley which seems to be really highley reviewed, but it's pricey compared to some of the other options.

So what do you think? Good idea or setting myself up for failure? I'm concerned that thing might shift, but the claims are it's pretty solid. Anyone ever use one?
      I have a neoprene sleeve thing with inserts to adjust rise. The outfit that makes it is Bear Tooth or something like that (Bear something). Turns out I didn't need it. I'm sure it would do the trick. Dirt cheap and no mangling the stock.

Yes, it's Beartoooth. Easy to find it on the net.
      Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-13-2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

If it's your Ruger Ranch 6.8, it has a plastic stock.
        If nothing else, mouth the sight, then go nuts with some cardboard and duct tape to figure out how high the cheek pad needs to be.
        If I didn't care to ever sell the gun, I wouldn't think twice about using screws. Just not BIG screws! 😉!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          How about the military one that stitches up ?
          Whatcha mean there Jimbo? One of the ones that uses cord to tension it in place?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I have a neoprene sleeve thing with inserts to adjust rise. The outfit that makes it is Bear Tooth or something like that (Bear something). Turns out I didn't need it. I'm sure it would do the trick. Dirt cheap and no mangling the stock.

Yes, it's Beartoooth. Easy to find it on the net.
            Thanks Honk I saw those. I was worried about them slipping. You make a good point. Best to get the rail and the sights on before I put money into something that I might not need.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              If it's your Ruger Ranch 6.8, it has a plastic stock.
              If nothing else, mouth the sight, then go nuts with some cardboard and duct tape to figure out how high the cheek pad needs to be.
              If I didn't care to ever sell the gun, I wouldn't think twice about using screws. Just not BIG screws! 😉!

Yeah it's mine. I think this is the final go around with this project gun. It will be at a final stage which will either be acceptable, or I will trade it for something else.

Rails were supposed to show up today, but USPS says Covid delays so hopefully tomorrow. If the rail isn't high enough, then I'll probably just go with the Prism since there'll be no reason for cowitness

I just I get worried about it looking junkie or a desire to cannibalize it for kit later. This guy did his, and I've see others done as well.
              http://smokingchamber.com/wp-content...2/photo-5a.jpg

Another consideration is cleaning. If I need to clean the rifle or disassemble the permanent mount is a bit more of a hassle. But hey no reason worrying about what-ifs until I'm a bit further down this rabbit hole.

Comment

Kinda unnerstan what your talking about.
                I had a few of those, "That's cool!".
                That evolved into, "I like that!" and suddenly devolves into "OMG! What the hell have I done?"
                So far, I haven't carried one to the point I couldn't back up to "point of origin" without any major scars or hiccups that couldn't be repaired, covered up or otherwise erased.
                I'm just the opposite. Every AR I've built (assembled?) I had to add a 3/8" riser to get the scope high enough for a comfortable "cheek weld".
                I always use flattop receivers. Adding a carry handle is a piece of cake these days.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Honk I saw those. I was worried about them slipping. You make a good point. Best to get the rail and the sights on before I put money into something that I might not need.
                  Mine didn't slip around. I seem to recall some grippy stuff on the inside? Actually fit very tight.

My beef with neoprene is it can become frayed and pick up burrs, etc.

Comment

Whatcha mean there Jimbo? One of the ones that uses cord to tension it in place?
                    yes..........

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
                    Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-15-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I'll keep you all in the loop but looks like it'll be next week fellas. Good Ol' USPS might do some great things overall, but my local branch sux hard. Package was sent priority Tuesday, has now been delayed to Monday 😠😣

Comment

So.... Got it on there, it's one from ASI. They do good work. The pics below aren't mine but it looks identical to this one.
                        Putting a Eotech or this Monstrum on it...It's going to require a cheek riser, or I'm going to have to change stocks.

Comment

That's awesome buckshott00!
                          Is that designed specifically for the scope ring slots on a Mini receiver or did you revise it.

Comment

So.... Got it on there, it's one from ASI. They do good work. The pics below aren't mine but it looks identical to this one.
                            Putting a Eotech or this Monstrum on it...It's going to require a cheek riser, or I'm going to have to change stocks.]
                            I don't think the Bear Tooth thing will raise the comb enough for that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              That's awesome buckshott00!
                              Is that designed specifically for the scope ring slots on a Mini receiver or did you revise it.
                              Carl over there does good work, at least I think it's still him.

It's specifically designed for Ranch models. It's got pins on the underside that engage into the receiver's top front and rear scope grooves. I'm happy, I'm going to send it to him to do a bit more work and then call it good. If I'm not satisfied after that last set of improvements I'll sell or trade it. It's fun to putz with but eventually I'll have to call it good or cut it loose.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad