How do you fly ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fly ?

Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking for the perfect scope to complement the rifle in appearance and performance. Did anyone ever put a 20X on a 30-30. Nope, has to be sized for the job.

I either buy the rifle and scope as a combination, with a specific pairing or purpose in mind, or, if I find a really good deal on a scope, buy it to upgrade something I have, or save it for a spare. Right now, everything I have either wears a Leupold or Burris, with the exception of a very old, very good Simmons, that was made in Japan. I will jump on a deal, like a clearance, or going out of business sale, but it has to be a good deal.

Comment

I normally purchase scopes to fill needs but I'm not above grabbing a deal, scope or gun, if it shows up.

Comment

The last scopes I bought were 3 Leupold vx-2's on clearance for under $150 a pc.(posted it on here, remember?) The last rifle I bought new was a Weatherby Vanguard 243 for under $350. (Posted it on here too.) or maybe outdoor life. Anyways every rifle I have, including rimfire,is wearing Leupold now with a couple extra on the shelf. With plenty of shells for all. It's gonna take something special to get me to shell out more cash for anything.

Comment

I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am ready. I can't recall ever buying a scope at full retail price. I usually buy used scopes of a solid, reliable brand that is well supported by the manufacturer. The last five years I've bought a lot of used Vortex scopes at about half the already reasonable retail price. They are all shooting great. If one ever fails to do so, I know they will fix it or replace it without question, even if I happen to run over it with my truck.

Comment

Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to fill a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is my most expensive and it replaced a 4.5-18x50 Tasco Bighorn that wasn't clear at the highest magnification. But that Tasco was on sale back in the late 90's and it replaced a Bushnell fixed 4x so that was a step up too.
            Last edited by PigHunter; 08-05-2020, 07:42 PM.
            Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              The last scopes I bought were 3 Leupold vx-2's on clearance for under $150 a pc.(posted it on here, remember?) The last rifle I bought new was a Weatherby Vanguard 243 for under $350. (Posted it on here too.) or maybe outdoor life. Anyways every rifle I have, including rimfire,is wearing Leupold now with a couple extra on the shelf. With plenty of shells for all. It's gonna take something special to get me to shell out more cash for anything.
              Wal-Mart score on the scopes.

I do both, and now with kids have been swapping and trying new optics a bit more often. Always looking for deals regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking for the perfect scope to complement the rifle in appearance and performance. Did anyone ever put a 20X on a 30-30. Nope, has to be sized for the job.
                I have purchased two scopes in the last forty years. I bought a Weaver 3X back in 1972 after the worthless Bushnell Banner 4X Dad put on my Springfield crapped out for the umpteenth time and cost me an elk. Last I saw of that piece of junk it was sailing down the mountain as fast as my right arm could pitch it. Then I upgraded two years ago to a $94 Nikon 3X9 for the same gun. I prefer to spend my money on exotic hunting and fishing trips instead of guns and scopes.

Comment

Here is why we buy things we don't need because they are on sale.

https://jamesclear.com/diderot-effect

Comment

I buy what i need when I need it. I have extra leupolds. Everything I own has leupold except for my ar. I don’t need another scope ha ha who am I kidding if see a deal I will jump on it. But I haven’t seen anything in two to get to spend money. That and my safe is exploding with guns ammo and scopes spotting scopes binoculars. My grandsons are to the age where I have put everything up now.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad