Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handgun Laser Sights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Handgun Laser Sights

    On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order one for my Ruger LC9 that I'm giving to PigHuntress. She's been carrying a S&W J-frame revolver but wishes to carry that little Ruger 9mm instead.

    The LaserMax arrived fairly quickly from MidwayUSA. (I've included a scan of the packaging). I really like that the LaserMax is made here in the USA.

    The laser was very easy to install and adjust. I've got her now doing loading, clearing, and dry-fire practice with the firearm here at home. 9mm dummy rounds are helping get her adjusted to the feel of the weapon before we get a chance for her to fire it at the range.

    Milldawg, my thanks again for making the suggestion.

    Do any of you have laser sighted handguns for your wives, girlfriends, or daughters? If so, what's been their experiences with getting familiar with using it as an aiming device?

    Click image for larger version  Name:	LaserMax.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	740987
    Last edited by PigHunter; 08-03-2020, 11:22 AM.
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

  • #2
    Well, I guess no one's interested in handgun laser sights...
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Well, I guess no one's interested in handgun laser sights...
      That's what my sister in law carries, exactly the same I believe. And like many, she's never shot even one round through it. I can't tell you how many times a new gun owner has told me they've never shot their self defense gun because they don't want to get them dirty and have to clean them. WTH?

      Comment


      • #4
        Only gun I have with a laser is an old style Walter p22 that I don't care much for. Sorry PH.
        Last edited by dewman; 08-05-2020, 01:16 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That is the only shortcoming I can think of. I like the grip switches that automatically activate when you grip the pistol but haven't used one. Their downside is that they enlarge the grip a bit but I think that would be acceptable... what do you think?

          Comment


          • #6
            Ruger built a GP101(?) with an integral laser on the grips.
            I wanted one, but life jumped up and i didn't get one.
            I'm intrigued by the "put the red dot on the target and shoot" concept!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dewman View Post
              That's what my sister in law carries, exactly the same I believe. And like many, she's never shot even one round through it. I can't tell you how many times a new gun owner has told me they've never shot their self defense gun because they don't want to get them dirty and have to clean them. WTH?
              I know how you feel. There's no way I'b bet my life on a conceal carry without ever firing it. Just this morning, PigHuntress told me she'd been practicing dry fire and reloading with the snap caps. We're going to the range in a few days for live fire. Until then, she's carrying her revolver.
              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That is the only shortcoming I can think of. I like the grip switches that automatically activate when you grip the pistol but haven't used one. Their downside is that they enlarge the grip a bit but I think that would be acceptable... what do you think?
                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely to pull the trigger to firing position unless intentionally. Also, that model has a manual safety. Part of the dry fire practice is getting familiar with taking off the safety before getting into firing position.
                Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  Ruger built a GP101(?) with an integral laser on the grips.
                  I wanted one, but life jumped up and i didn't get one.
                  I'm intrigued by the "put the red dot on the target and shoot" concept!
                  Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days.
                  Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

                  Comment

                  Welcome!

                  Collapse

                  Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                  If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                  And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                  Right Rail 1

                  Collapse

                  Top Active Users

                  Collapse

                  There are no top active users.

                  Right Rail 2

                  Collapse

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  Right Rail 3

                  Collapse

                  Footer Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X