No announcement yet.

Nikon Prostaff 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good score but side by side to leupold I would my pick leupold. But mine is on my ar it’s the m series tactical supposed to be monarch glass. It’s great for what it is intended. There is a local sporting good retailer close by I may check to see if they are clearancing them also.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      I've never owned a Nikon nor was I ever a Nikon fan. At the time Nikon scopes came on the market, they weren't the hottest item on the market.
      Most outdoor writers I read back then had a low opinion of Nikon. Therefore, my opinion.
      Nikon made fantastic camera lens. Rifle scopes, no so much.
      Back in the 60's and 70's, Bushnell and Tasco were the bottom of the barrel and not very reliable.
      A lot of people here talk about how nice their Bushnell and Tasco scopes are.
      Things change! 😐!
      I can vouch for bushnell elite 3500 discontinued now. Great scope for the money. Tough as nails.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Bubba, I've killed game while having low-end Bushnell and Tasco scopes on my rifles. They worked just fine for my budget at the time. Since then I've upgraded to better glass but could still be successful if I hadn't.
        You got it pighunter. I've never heard of a deer complaining because if the scope that directed the bullet! LOL!
        Lot's of game has been taken thanks to Bushnell and Tasco....and Mossberg and J.C. Higgins...and Federal and S&B.
        It's just old farts like me (and some others! LOL!) that came from an age when a brand name was synonymous with quality and there were still Great Depression survivors who were NOT going to spend one red cent more than absolutely necessary regardless of quality.....and wondering why iron sights weren't good enough?

I can still remember the wooden barrel at Gibson's with the 10 or 15 nondescript military rifles marked $19.95/your choice!
        .303 British
        .30-40 Krag
        7.62 Jap or Carcano
        .30-06
        8mm Mauser

Yep! Stopped lot'sa heartbeats!

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          Good score but side by side to leupold I would my pick leupold. But mine is on my ar it’s the m series tactical supposed to be monarch glass. It’s great for what it is intended. There is a local sporting good retailer close by I may check to see if they are clearancing them also.
          There were a couple Leupold Rifleman series scopes also on clearance, but they were the 3-9X and 4-12X models with the duplex reticle. The only reason I would get a scope with that small of a fov would be for long range target shooting and if I get a scope for that it will have to have a BDC reticle.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
            That is a very high value scope Red and your money was well spent. You will find that you can both see and shoot very precisely out to 500 yards with that scope and it should do the job for a lifetime. We need to keep in mind that these low end scopes from any manufacturer are not as finely made as their higher end offerings. That doesn't mean they won't take a deer. I would personally not trust them to hunt dangerous game or to be on my primary rifle or a prize trophy hunt. They can fail once in a life time but will normally last for the rest of our life. I use the Monarch 3.5-10 and love it. My buddy uses the Prostaff 5 on his elk rifle and is deadly with it out to 500 yards. Enjoy!
            Thanks DakotaMan. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Bubba, I've killed game while having low-end Bushnell and Tasco scopes on my rifles. They worked just fine for my budget at the time. Since then I've upgraded to better glass but could still be successful if I hadn't.
              Well said PH , I think we sometimes forget what it was like to just want to hunt and making do with what we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post

Well said PH , I think we sometimes forget what it was like to just want to hunt and making do with what we had.
                We can always hunt with what we have... my first deer hunt was with an old rusted out Mossberg 12 gauge that had a bent barrel. It shot three feet to the right at 50 yards. Slugs still went down the barrel though and I learned where I had to aim out to 120 yards. I got my first deer with it just fine. I just had to aim where the deer wasn't and I had steaks for the table.

The real secret of hunting is to learn how to use what you have to the maximum of its capability. I do believe in hunting with reliable scopes because the cheap one's just quit at random times but I'll never look down on someone hunting with them because not everyone needs 100% reliability. If you can take the frustration of a random failure, there are always more deer in the woods and I enjoy hunting for them.

It's when you spend $1200 for a tag and a couple thousand dollars for travel and guide services on a two day hunt that reliability becomes a concern. You may not get too many opportunities there. It's not a "one size fits all world" out there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad