Nikon Prostaff 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon Prostaff 5

I somehow ended up in the sporting goods section of the local Walmart after completing my wife's shopping list and noticed several rifle scopes on clearance. I looked twice. I touched. And left with a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10X40 BDC for $139.

It doesn't have as wide of field of view as my Burris 2-7X's do(40' vs 45'), but it is close enough I don't think it will bother me to much.

Right now I'm thinking it would go quite nicely atop the Remington 760.

Cabela's has the Remington 700 ADL on sale for $449. Can't buy the action for that. Available in several calibers including 6.5cm.

Comment

That's a great price. For three years I've a 3.5-14x40 BDC Nikon Prostaff 5 on my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. There's Nikon scopes on 5 of my rifles but that's the only Prostaff 5.
      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Good score Red. I've been reading that Wal-Mart has been selling some Rem 700 and Savage Axis rifles for under $200, you might want to check back. They do this every year but none of our local stores get in on it.

The Prostaff would work on that Winchester quite well too.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Good score Red. I've been reading that Wal-Mart has been selling some Rem 700 and Savage Axis rifles for under $200, you might want to check back. They do this every year but none of our local stores get in on it.

The Prostaff would work on that Winchester quite well too.๐Ÿ˜Ž
          Thanks Fitch.
          They had a Savage Axis 30-06 for $175 about a month ago, but I passed on it and when I went back it was gone.

Comment

I think thatโ€™s a great choice , Nikons have very clear glass and have been around a while so there is quality there. I think you made quite a nice little score while keeping the wife happy as well!

Comment

I bought a 3x9 Nikon BDC for $95 two years ago in Montana on Black Friday. As most of you remember, after taking six African animals last year without a missed shot, it fell apart when hunting my last critter, kudu. The factory fixed it in time for Montana trip in October and it seemed to work fine, taking a nice buck with a running shot after plowing the first shot into the ridge in front of me I was shooting over. It is a clear scope to be sure. I could do without all the elevation crap in the crosshairs as I am not a long bomb advocate. Had some trouble getting its short neck to fit the Weaver mounts on my old Springfield. Wound up expanding the ring tightening notch in the forward base so ring could move back far enough on the base for tube to fit. I'm sure a rail would have fixed the problem but aesthetically they are unappealing to me and they can make loading shells awkward. Or I could have had the receiver retapped to relocate the base but putting more holes in it also did not appeal to me.

Comment

OHH: Weaver makes extension rings to fit the new shorter tubes to older long action Weaver bases. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	740916 wouldnt these solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  OHH: Weaver makes extension rings to fit the new shorter tubes to older long action Weaver bases. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1775.PNG Views:	0 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	740916 wouldnt these solve your problem.
                  That would do it! I'll look into maybe acquiring a pair. My modification to old base works but forward ring is still a bit tight against the scope's bell. My modification is not much different from this set up. I simply used a Dremel grinding wheel to open up the channel in the base for ring clamping screw. Weaver has done essentially the same thing here by simply removing the channel altogether. By extending the length of the base they have created a sort of half rail. I really don't need the added length as there is plenty of length on existing base for my ring to clamp onto after modification.

Nope. I'm wrong. Weaver has modified the forward RING not the base. Yes, I like that idea.
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-02-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                    I think thatโ€™s a great choice , Nikons have very clear glass and have been around a while so there is quality there. I think you made quite a nice little score while keeping the wife happy as well!
                    Thanks PMacc.

Comment

I suppose the biggest concern might be Nikon is now out of the scope business. Hard to tell how that will affect product support down the road. My experience is that might be important. I guess we're not out a lot of money if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                        ...I guess we're not out a lot of money if it doesn't work out.
                        Considering how many scopes are in use vs. the number the fail the odds are good that I'll never have problems. But, like you say, in the event of a failure the scopes are not expensive.

Comment

I've never owned a Nikon nor was I ever a Nikon fan. At the time Nikon scopes came on the market, they weren't the hottest item on the market.
                          Most outdoor writers I read back then had a low opinion of Nikon. Therefore, my opinion.
                          Nikon made fantastic camera lens. Rifle scopes, no so much.
                          Back in the 60's and 70's, Bushnell and Tasco were the bottom of the barrel and not very reliable.
                          A lot of people here talk about how nice their Bushnell and Tasco scopes are.
                          Things change! ๐Ÿ˜!

Comment

That is a very high value scope Red and your money was well spent. You will find that you can both see and shoot very precisely out to 500 yards with that scope and it should do the job for a lifetime. We need to keep in mind that these low end scopes from any manufacturer are not as finely made as their higher end offerings. That doesn't mean they won't take a deer. I would personally not trust them to hunt dangerous game or to be on my primary rifle or a prize trophy hunt. They can fail once in a life time but will normally last for the rest of our life. I use the Monarch 3.5-10 and love it. My buddy uses the Prostaff 5 on his elk rifle and is deadly with it out to 500 yards. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              I've never owned a Nikon nor was I ever a Nikon fan. At the time Nikon scopes came on the market, they weren't the hottest item on the market.
                              Most outdoor writers I read back then had a low opinion of Nikon. Therefore, my opinion.
                              Nikon made fantastic camera lens. Rifle scopes, no so much.
                              Back in the 60's and 70's, Bushnell and Tasco were the bottom of the barrel and not very reliable.
                              A lot of people here talk about how nice their Bushnell and Tasco scopes are.
                              Things change! ๐Ÿ˜!
                              Bubba, I've killed game while having low-end Bushnell and Tasco scopes on my rifles. They worked just fine for my budget at the time. Since then I've upgraded to better glass but could still be successful if I hadn't.
                              Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad