X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Pics are fine Buck, with the bouncing back and forth between your posts I’m a little lost, you’re running the Monstrum on the rail you just put on the Ruger correct? You can’t move the sight back or is the cheek weld the problem?

Pic of the set up would be great.
    I haven't decided 100% yet, but yeah; you've got it. I just put a rail on the Ruger, but it sits too high with either the Eotech or the Monstrum. I will have to adjust the cheek weld.

The Eotech without magnifier, I don't have to worry about the eye relief, but I might have the same problem with magnifier. I don't know since I've never used one before.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Pics are fine Buck, with the bouncing back and forth between your posts I’m a little lost, you’re running the Monstrum on the rail you just put on the Ruger correct? You can’t move the sight back or is the cheek weld the problem?

Pic of the set up would be great.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    So I got to playing with the darned thing again. I think I've figured out more of why it doesn't feel quite right. The length of the eye relief between a mini and a prism seems off to me.

It might be that if I go with the prism scope I have to get the stock shortened a bit right now I have to crane my neck forward quite a bit to get the image right. Either that or try to get used to shooting it more like a scout rifle.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Part 4:
    Prism Picture and magnification.

Okay apologies for a couple of things
    1) I'm not great with Cameras, and putting an optic in front of a Camera just makes it even more difficult, so I don't know how well these turned out
    2) To show off the magnification, I'm leaving these at full size, otherwise, I don't think it does it justice
    3)Haven't and won't try to take a picture of the illuminated sight, maybe some later day.

I am still looking about the ring size on the Monstrum, maybe it can be used as a range estimation the way the Eotech's is (65 or 68MOA) but I am quickly coming around to these dot and circle reticles.

So without further ado, these were all taken with as little hand, phone, eye, arm movement as I could muster. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_145032.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	741523Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_145033.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	5.15 MB
ID:	741524Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_145056.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	741525Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_145058.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.50 MB
ID:	741526

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Part 3:
    Hologram vs. Prism Envelope practical comparison.

Eotech 512 Holographic Sight 512.A65 & Monstrum Marksman 5X36 prism scope field of view.

Okay, there are enough pictures of the field of view of Eotech's entry level offering, you can see those for yourself with a little bit of googling. I will say is that having taken it outside and looked at targets further than 25yds, I like it much better than I did initially. However, of high brightness levels the reticle does get a bit hazy for me.

For this I just wanted to show how frickin' big the ocular lens / i.e the part you look at is with this. I love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_144334 (3).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	741521

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Part 2.5.5:

Eotech 512 Holographic Sight 512.A65 & Monstrum Marksman 5X36 prism scope vs. traditional optics

Monstrum vs 4-16X50 Pentax GameSeeker Traditional Scope. Size comparison (mounted on T/C Venture)

Name:	20200808_144831 (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	741518

Monstrum vs 4-16X50 Pentax GameSeeker Objective Lens focus

Name:	20200808_144842 (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	741519

I excluded the Holograph from these comparison because without the magnifier it just doesn't make sense. An unmagnified Reflex sight doesn't make a whole lot of sense on this particular rifle setup.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Part 2.5:

Eotech 512 Holographic Sight 512.A65 & Monstrum Marksman 5X36 prism scope vs. traditional optics

Eotech vs 3-9X40 KonusPro Scope. Size comparison (mounted on H&R handirifle)

Name:	20200808_144653 (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	741512
    Monstrum vs 3-9X40 KonusPro Scope. Size comparison (mounted on H&R handirifle)

Name:	20200808_144640 (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	741513

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Next up Envelope & Comparison!!

I hear you saying, well dang those are pretty heavy but how compact are they? Is it bulky or just dense? I would lean towards dense. Pleasantly surprised at the OAL for both of these

Part 2 Hologram vs. Prism Envelope comparison:

Eotech 512 Holographic Sight 512.A65 vs Monstrum Marksman 5X36 prism scope

For Reference that is a 6in scale I used. Practical comparisons will be in the next postClick image for larger version  Name:	20200808_144224 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	729.6 KB ID:	741505

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200808_144244 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	767.8 KB ID:	741506

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Part 1:
    Hologram vs. Prism Weight comparison.

Eotech 512 Holographic Sight 512.A65 vs Monstrum Marksman 5X36 prism scope

I told you guys before the prism is heavy. But dang! Sorry I only have a kitchen scale handy, but it gets the job done.

The hologram isn't exactly a featherweight either. With those (2) Double A batteries powering the internal laser, it's packing more weight than traditional optic. Add onto that the fact that the sight as-is is unmagnified so for a full equal comparison, a magnifier should be included. So I may revisit this once I have a magnifier picked out

Mass:
    Eotech
    Eotech at about 7oz

Monstrum
    Monstrum coming in at a little over 15oz!! Since I don't have the watch battery in at this point, let's call it an even 15.5oz, and if you want to round up to 1lb you won't hear a peep out of me.

So for now, let's call this one TBD until I decide on a magnifier, but based on my decision rules, I am going to give weight to Eotech, I can't see a magnifier being another 8oz

So both are heavier than a traditional rifle scope, and the monstrum enough that it might make you want to reconsider. An extra lb on a 6-8lb rifle can rightly give you pause.

As a disclaimer. I bet the 3X Monstrum is probably lighter, but I wanted the 5X for this ranch rifle.

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    Okay decided to split this up over a couple of topics. There's a lot to compare here, and hopefully I can answer everyone's questions. going to Apologize ahead of time for the camera and pic editing. It's not my strong suite.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    You have my attention.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    You've got me going now!😃

Leave a comment:

• Buckshott00
    replied
    They're here!

Oh boy, do I have some reviews for you fellas!! But I'm gonna tease it out! Ha! Always leaving 'em wanting more.

First off though, the Appetizer!

First Thoughts on Prism Scope:
    1. I knew it going in, but the prism scope though the company owners are based out of SoCal, their product is made in China. I know it can take a long time to move your lines, etc. but I've got chapped ass over anything made in China these days.
    2. This sucker is HEAVY! like enough to change the balance on a light rifle heavy!! Hopefully that translates to Durable
    3. WOW!! That's a frickin huge field of view! (but for the picture you'll have to tune in next time!)
    First Thoughts on Holographic:
    1. Hmm, nice these are made in my home state
    2. This thing is heavier than I thought (but not as heavy as the prism scope)
    3. Might be time to go to the old eye doctor, this is on lowest brightness and it's not as crisp as I remember the last time I looked at one of these.
      1. A follow up to that, an optics buddy told me that for looking at things too close with a holograph that could be an issue. He said go look at something at least 25yds out.
    4. I like the hood and the field of view, but to hunt with this... probably going to want to add a 3x magnifier at some point.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I suspect we will see more of these in the future. I've used prism binoculars and they worked just fine. It's just another design for getting an optic into a shorter or more compact framework. From decades of use, the shooting market has accepted the 12-18" long optic quite well so a shorter optic won't be a key selling point to most hunters and target shooters. The needs in light ARs and combat conditions are different than hunting though so I expect them to do well in this market.

The optics shown are fixed magnification but I see no reason that they couldn't have features added in the future like variable magnification and long range turrets. It is not necessarily less expensive to manufacture so when features are added, the price point may be similar to existing optics.

The illuminated reticle is an advantage for 30 minutes before and after sun. It allows you to see your reticle in low light conditions. The illumination is not needed during daylight but is a big advantage a few minutes a day or if you hunt at night over moonlit snow. I even like them in dark timbers. I've needed an illuminated reticle only a few times in my life though. It was usually varmint shooting but once was the biggest trophy mule deer I have ever seen. I now use an illuminated reticle for hunting although I only need it about once every 5 years... mostly for getting that early or late coyote or fox. I prefer the "FireFly" reticle that needs no batteries. It illuminates from sunlight or a couple seconds of flashlight. Once illuminated, it stays illuminated for hours. With this, I never worry about batteries dying at the precise moment of need.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    will do Dewman I don't have a magnifier for the holograph so it won't be a 100% fair comparison, but as long as we know that going into it, it should be fine. I think it will be informative if nothing else.

Bubba, my optics friends told me that working prism lens was actually a PitA compared to traditional concave convex lens, but that if done correctly the images should be crisper and clearer. So, it seems like we might be gambling with a "how good they do it? situation"
    Buckshott00, I have a real problem with overcoming my OFS to try new things.
    I've had some very pleasant surprises when I finally tried a "New & Improved" version of something that I wouldn't touch earlier in my life.
    AR's
    Federal ammo

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad