Prism Scopes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prism Scopes?

Any of you fellas (or gals if there are any still on here) ever use a Prism Scope / Optic?

They might be a good option compared to traditional fixed power, and in a lot more compact package. Supposed to be more durable as well.
    On the down side, there's still parallax

Thinking about buying one for my Ranch rifle (instead of Holograph and Magnifier). I like big exit pupil, and for some scopes I think a fixed power is better.

Found a cross-section diagram of a model

Sorry mi amigo. No idea. I have enough trouble with just plain old scopes!!!! LOL!

Comment

Intriguing. Never considered one before, it looks quite useful. Think I'll do some research. Thanks.

Comment

Just something more to go wrong. What power source is used for the "tritium lamp" inside it? I have to wonder about the durability of a battery powered scope in freezing temperatures. If the power source gives out, does the scope stop functioning ... or just function like a normal scope? How hard is it to change batteries in the field?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          Just something more to go wrong. What power source is used for the "tritium lamp" inside it? I have to wonder about the durability of a battery powered scope in freezing temperatures. If the power source gives out, does the scope stop functioning ... or just function like a normal scope? How hard is it to change batteries in the field?
          No all of them are illuminated reticles OH. If the power source gives out, so long as the reticle is etched onto the lens it'll act just like a normal scope. In fact, if you don't buy the illuminated ones, I believe they actually have fewer moving pieces than a regular scope.

Comment

So everything I'm reading says they're a great alternative to traditional scopes if you want a fixed power short to mid range optic. I get that in theory it should work great, but we all know there's often a big difference between theory and practice.

Comment

Taken from a Pew Pew Tacticsl article, well balanced. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.PNG
Views:	90
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	740736Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.PNG
Views:	85
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	740737Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.PNG
Views:	85
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	740738 For aging eyes, possibly turkey guns(?). Other uses seem more battle focused, think 3-gun.

Comment

good stuff dewman, I had been thinking about a red dot, but my astigmatism makes that a no go. But these might make more sense than paying out the nose for a holographic sight but be a better fit for a ranch rifle than traditional scope.

I keep telling myself to buy one, but have some reservations somehow... can't put my finger on it.

Comment

BUCKSHOTTOO: maybe your reservation comes from how new it seems to you. Seems to be mine. General consensus from KNOWLEDGEABLE people seems to be they are tougher & lighter than a scope, heavier than a red dot. I'm looking into them myself but I'm aware that sunrise/sunset, when deer move best, a scope will buy you more time.

Comment

Buckshott00 has even gotten me more interested in a "prism" scope.
                    I would say it's more just a site. I don't know that I would want more that 1.5× to 3× magnification.
                    I'm not a "long shooter" anyway! LOL!

Comment

thanks guys, dewman, I'd say that's pretty astute. It's different and thus less of a body of knowledge exists. I've reached out to some friends with Optics knowledge who don't know I'm about to give them the nth degree of questions about this.

Like bubba, I'm thinking this would probably be a good fit for my ranch rifle which I'd only ever take short to mid range shots. Right now I'm have a personal debate between 3X, 4X, or 5X

Comment

I also have astigmatism, albeit fairly mild, but red dots are still a red fuzz ball.
                        My brother had a 3X prismatic scope that he replaced after a short while with a 2-7X Redfield. The reticle in it was good, but the fov was restricting.
                        Personally, I really like 1-4x Leupold's for short to mid range.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                          I also have astigmatism, albeit fairly mild, but red dots are still a red fuzz ball.
                          My brother had a 3X prismatic scope that he replaced after a short while with a 2-7X Redfield. The reticle in it was good, but the fov was restricting.
                          Personally, I really like 1-4x Leupold's for short to mid range.
                          I'm shooting a Leupold 1.5-4×20 on my 6.8mm AR. Love it!
                          My .223 Wylde AR wears a plain Jane old Leupold 3-9×40.

Comment

Well Bubba...I ended up with both! I sort of accidentally ended up winning an auction on an Eotech that I didn't think I was going to win, but by then I was so curious I decided to spend the $100 on a Monstrum 5X. Apparently the 3X P332 models are very highly reviewed, and they have a 30-day, "love it or your money back" return option, so I'm going to see how that goes.

I'm making a final round of upgrades to my mini after this, she's done. I'll either trade her someday, or keep her until one of the 2 of us breaks.

Comment

BUCKSHOTTOO: after you have them post your opinions -with pics- as you try them out. Any surprises good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad