Brother finally got a scope that might last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Dewman, what's your average range for shots when hunting squirrels with a handgun? Just curious.
    I would measure it in feet, not yards, when I'm toting a pistol. Have I taken them farther, of course. But I love sneaking up to the tree they're in if possible and then if I'm not seen I'll flatten against the tree and watch them awhile before I strike. In the fall it's not feasible as there may be others as well as less cover so I pull out a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

A holographic TV screen attached to my rifle? That seems a bit too much. What next? Infrared sensor drones to scout for game?

Dakota: If the light is so poor you can't see it with 40mm lens then maybe you shouldn't be shooting at the animal? Because maybe you might not find it in the dark.
      Honker, that is always a consideration for sure. I just intend to be prepared so that if I decide on taking a legal and ethical shot, I will be prepared as best I can. In that case, I had driven three days to get there, hunted for three days and these were the last minutes of my season. I have never missed a standing big game shot at 250 yards by more than about 1/4 inch and I have never had a deer run more than 40-50 yards after a hit to the vitals. I was shooting a 100g Hornady Interlock from my 25-06 at 3350 fps and have had only two deer move a muscle after being hit by that bullet.

If I had been able to see the reticle in my scope, I would have taken the shot and that muley would still be hanging on my wall. I've never lost one because of late-in-the-day situations and don't intend to. I figured I had about an 80- 90% chance of hitting him by centering him in the scope but did not want to risk that low predictability.

Not all my rifles provide optimum shot predictability but I stay within the capabilities of each when I hunt. In this case, the scope was the limiting factor. With my black powder rifle, the range is the limitation. With my .300 Dakota, a solid rest is the limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        I used both on my .22 pistols. A squirrels head or shoulder is never a big target so there is a level of precision to be had with them. Used both long enough that I prefer reflex but have no plans to sell my tr-25 anytime soon as putting it on a 22 rifle or a youth season deer gun has saved a hunt or 10. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	908.5 KB
ID:	736954
        Nice! I've hunted squirrels with my Mark II Target model but haven't yet with the Mark III 22/45 Lite. Just this past week I took the reflex sight off and I've been practicing with open sights. It's a nice rig shooting subsonics with the suppressor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruger Mark III 22_45 LITE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	737547

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Nice! I've hunted squirrels with my Mark II Target model but haven't yet with the Mark III 22/45 Lite. Just this past week I took the reflex sight off and I've been practicing with open sights. It's a nice rig shooting subsonics with the suppressor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruger Mark III 22_45 LITE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	737547
          PH: Did you remove your reflex for a reason or just to try something different? I see you have the removable grip panel model 22/45, have you ever tried the Hogue finger groove thumb rest grips? Not as pretty but they give me great control.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            PH: Did you remove your reflex for a reason or just to try something different? I see you have the removable grip panel model 22/45, have you ever tried the Hogue finger groove thumb rest grips? Not as pretty but they give me great control.
            Good questions. I've never used the Hogue grips but will give them a look.

I have the Mark II on consignment sale at my buddy's gun shop. It's a great pistol but isn't threaded for the suppressor.

So, I'm getting rid of it and will start using the Mark III instead. Well, the Mark III with suppressor attached fits in the old holster, but without the optics. I liked carrying on my hip and this should work out nicely.

Initial accuracy tests with the iron sights are promising. 10 shots in a little over 1-inch at 12 yards if I do my part.

The reflex will be installed on one of my inline muzzleloaders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ruger Mark III 22_45 LITE 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.8 KB ID:	737564
            Last edited by PigHunter; 06-29-2020, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Good questions. I've never used the Hogue grips but will give them a look.

I have the Mark II on consignment sale at my buddy's gun shop. It's a great pistol but isn't threaded for the suppressor.

So, I'm getting rid of it and will start using the Mark III instead. Well, the Mark III with suppressor attached fits in the old holster, but without the optics. I liked carrying on my hip and this should work out nicely.

Initial accuracy tests with the iron sights are promising. 10 shots in a little over 1-inch at 12 yards if I do my part.

The reflex will be installed on one of my inline muzzleloaders.

Click image for larger version Name:	Ruger Mark III 22_45 LITE 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.8 KB ID:	737564
              See your point. They make plenty of hip holsters that fit these with glass or dots and I have one myself but wear it crossdraw on my chest to protect the sight. And yes I still want a supresser pretty bad, bad enough I'm looking at mark 4's.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad