Boat ownership.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat ownership.

They say there are two moments of joy in the life of every boat owner.
    The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

You never know how true that is until you own a boat.

Comment

I have had boats all my life. Family had cruisers up to 40' and I can tell you we enjoyed the hell out of them between the time we got one to the time we sold it. Many hours of memories. Some years we would cruse 2,000 or 3,000 miles. All through Great Lakes, St. Lawrence River and to Florida for the winter. If you have not tried it, don't knock it.

Comment

I hated to do boat patrol when I was working. It seemed like we ran the boat an hour and worked on it for 2 hours. I read somewhere that the definition of a boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, metal or fiberglass that one pours money into.

Comment

I never agreed with this. Some of the happiest days of my life were certainly when I took possession of a new boat. But on the other hand, some of the saddest days of my life were when I had to sell a boat. With each boat I had, I accrued many happy memories fishing, swimming, enjoying the outdoors with family and friends and just rigging the boat out exactly the way I wanted it.

I've had to move around a bit during my career and it seems I had to sell several boats because they didn't fit the needs at the new location. I had a great lakes boat outfitted for fresh water and deep salmon fishing but moved to California for salt water fishing. From there to Georgia for bass fishing. From there to Florida for way offshore fishing... etc. etc. etc. I still wish I were wealthy enough to have kept all these great boats just for the fun of it. If you keep a boat in shape and take care of it, it is about as reliable as a car. I think most people fail to take care of their boat and over time, it just degrades to be unreliable. I also see many folks buy a boat they really can't afford and it becomes a financial burden once they realize all the costs involved such as tow vehicle, insurance, docking fees, accessories, GAS, etc.
          Last edited by DakotaMan; 04-27-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

When you look at all the cost of upkeep and maintaining a boat, I think you have to use it an awful lot to make it a cost effective form of entertainment. I know it can be expensive to rent one, but I'd rather pay the high rental fee once in a while than to pay for the storage, maintenance etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
              When you look at all the cost of upkeep and maintaining a boat, I think you have to use it an awful lot to make it a cost effective form of entertainment. I know it can be expensive to rent one, but I'd rather pay the high rental fee once in a while than to pay for the storage, maintenance etc.
              Bucky, I do not partake in other expensive forms of entertainment so my boat expenses fit very well into my budget. To each his own.

Comment

Agree Jimbo, I know lots of folks that feel the same as you, and take the boat out pretty much daily in the summer

Comment

I have had years where I was on Lake Erie for 60 outings. Also have taken a few short trips, over to Canada, over to West Sister Island fishing, Out to the weather buoy, etc. The sail boat is my R/C boat. I also have a 4' long cigarette boat - 40mph boat. Sail boat Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	731106Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	731107Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1913.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	731108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1952.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	731109Click image for larger version

Name:	Walleye.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	731110 is bout 3.5' long and 5+'tall. 13lbs of lead in the keel. When a big sail boat comes by I sail out to meet it and sail along with it. The weather buoy is on the Canadian line about 20 mile trip for me.

Comment

I own two boats and pray I never give them up. I own a jet sled which I use for duck hunting and river fishing and I have a bass boat with a 9.9 motor to fish many of Ohio's restricted lakes. Neither boat is fast but very functional.

Comment

Our family has a long standing joke about boats. I'd like something comfortable for fishing lakes, my wife says that's fine if we can get something that can handle waterskiing or at least tubing. Kids are getting a little old for that at this point so it won't happen. We're an hour away from any boat launch worth towing to and don't have time enough to justify the expense of having one just sit on a trailer. If we had easy access to good fishing we'd own one.

Comment

My boat is out of storage BUT, I am in the high risk category so there is a conundrum - do I put it in the water OR pass this summer and put it back in storage ?? If some effective drugs were available I might take a risk and use it but without any drugs it would be a big risk. Ohio numbers have not really started to reduce yet. I could use it from the marina without running into many others. But then, how do you know if your buddies are carriers ?
                        Alll activities at the gun Club I belong to have cancelled all activities this year so I can go there and shoot all I want and probably not run into others. Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                          by Buckshott00
                          "at what point is it quenched?"
                          When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                          Today, 01:35 PM
                        • Jackbooted Thugs
                          by Buckshott00
                          I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                          06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                          by Buckshott00
                          We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                          Today, 01:27 PM
                          by Buckshott00
                          Most of the people across the country are non-violent. In Michigan I watched people get right in the face and scream at MSP. The police restrained themselves...
                          Today, 01:19 PM
                        • Reply to I'm just going to leave this here...
                          by Buckshott00
                          What's being nasty? Truth hurts eh?...
                          Today, 01:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X