Boots- Jack Pyke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots- Jack Pyke

Looking for something for early bow or lots of walking.
    I have 1000 gr rubber ones.....and they work for colder weather and short walks to stand.
    Don't want to do the miles in them.

On these, only 200 gr insulation but leather and I really like that protective layer of rubber around.
    Anybody try these?

https://www.military1st.com/jboohun-...ots-brown.html

Those vibram soles really stick to concrete, and can trip you up while walking on hard surfaces.

Comment

Never heard of them, they look similar to Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots that are twice the price. I’m getting so I buy more gear online than in stores but boots haven’t been something I’m willing to take a chance on just yet, too much unknowns as to fit.

Comment

Read the 2 reviews. Plus 2 month return policy.

Comment

Web reviews are often BS.
          Fluff or the reviewers misuse the product.
          Midway and Three Rivers reviews are worthless IMHO.
          Wondered if any hunters here had tried em.

Guess I'll drop a couple hundred in a week or so and be the guinea pig.
          Did score a Blaser hybrid fleece vest, reg 200 plus, for half price.
          Got my Steiner binos for way less too.
          Hopefully the boots go on sale LOL

Looking at a Kuiu sweater too (to go under vest).
          Just said screw it and starting to piece together a bit better hunting wardrobe.

I hit the Rural King and got their chinese 1000gr "Lincoln Outfitter" rubber boots when my 200 plus dollar Irish Setters started leaking (paid 90 bucks after season for em, worn for 10 yrs, even in nasty thorn rabbit hunting- which proly accelerated their demise).

Got the cheap rain and fleece "Habit" camo for early season when we had an MC Sports.
          For 50% off.

Wanted some of the old Cabelas stuff, but BP has changed the designs some, or killed the item all together.

Dumped a couple of shootin irons, so have some $ to purchase possibly comfort.
          I can't take the abuse any more. Have to buy better hunting clothes.

And drink better beer when in my comfy home surroundings.

Comment

Bud has the Cabelas berber, old style. Nice stuff.
            Looking at Wooltimate.
            LIked the Asbell wool, Timberghost jacket.
            But my deer thicket is burr infested.
            Makes me a bit leery.

Comment

Those look good. Price is hefty but I see all the features I like: Vibram sole (won't wear out in six months), mid height upper (not too tall to be heavy or too short to let weed seeds into socks), flat nylon braid shoelaces (not decorative useless paracord crap), gripper shoe lace hooks, "high rubber rand" to protect leather upper, all leather upper, waterproof membrane (for all that's worth which is often just one season for me).

Of concern: Maybe the uppers are a bit higher/heavier than needed. With 200 grams of Thinsulate this boot could get kinda warm doing a lot of hiking. On the other hand, for sit-and-wait ambush style hunting they might not be warm enough. The biggest concern for me is the "speed lace system" I have to wonder how durable those cute little rollers will be. Are they plastic or steel. I'm guessing they're plastic. For the kind of hunting I do (very hard!), I have found there's no substitute for good old fashioned eyelets punched through the leather. Nylon fabric lace loops that seems to be the current rage in hiking boots are the worst. They go to pieces in heavy cover. Wild roses eat those things up in short order. D-ring style cut into the laces and resist tightening when lacing up. Old style through the leather eyelets keep the laces tight to the boot and less exposed to wear and tear.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                Looking at Wooltimate.
                Makes me a bit leery.
                For burrs and thorns nothing beats polar fleece. Almost as warm as wool but tough as hell. The shorter fleece is pretty good about not picking up burrs. And of course, fleece is every bit as quiet as wool.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                  Those vibram soles really stick to concrete, and can trip you up while walking on hard surfaces.
                  Baloney! Vibram soles are the only thing everyone wore on their boots at the aluminum plant. I walked a couple thousand miles in there on concrete floors wearing Red Wing loggers with Vibram soles. I didn't find that they tripped me up. Absolutely essential grip for climbing up and down equipment and the lugs provided air to insulate feet when working around and on the hot stuff ... which was all the time. During the winter when temps sometimes dropped down to -40 you didn't want to be walking around on that cold concrete with flat soles!

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    Looking at Wooltimate.
                    Makes me a bit leery.
                    The Cabelas Berber fleece outfit has been my go-to cold weather outerwear for years. Too bad they dropped it. Their Microtex line was great but now replaced with junk. Old Woolrich wool pants and jack shirt are great too with merino underwear. Sorel Cariboo pac boots for really cold stuff. Merry Christmas, all !

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

The Cabelas Berber fleece outfit has been my go-to cold weather outerwear for years. Too bad they dropped it. Their Microtex line was great but now replaced with junk. Old Woolrich wool pants and jack shirt are great too with merino underwear. Sorel Cariboo pac boots for really cold stuff. Merry Christmas, all !
                      Sorel Caribou were top of the line for cold weather ... once upon a time when they were still made in Sorel, Quebec. Since moving to China they are junk! Leather is very poor quality, especially the tongues. Formerly (a long time ago formerly) they put Vibram soles on their boots. Then they went to a sole of their own with a tree design in the tread. Those didn't hold up very well. Now they have gone entirely to their cheap nipples design for sole tread. Obviously the purpose is to use less sole material. Those nipples wear flat just looking at them! Absolute junk! The D-rings for laces are not sewn tightly enough in their straps. Consequently they have a tendency to rotate and cut through the straps made of cheap leather. Last pair I bought didn't make it through two hunting seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Baloney! Vibram soles are the only thing everyone wore on their boots at the aluminum plant. I walked a couple thousand miles in there on concrete floors wearing Red Wing loggers with Vibram soles. I didn't find that they tripped me up. Absolutely essential grip for climbing up and down equipment and the lugs provided air to insulate feet when working around and on the hot stuff ... which was all the time. During the winter when temps sometimes dropped down to -40 you didn't want to be walking around on that cold concrete with flat soles!
                        Maybe my experience of years ago was with the Megagrip variety of Vibram.

https://us.vibram.com/company/news-e...-megagrip.html

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post

Maybe my experience of years ago was with the Megagrip variety of Vibram.

https://us.vibram.com/company/news-e...-megagrip.html
                          I think you will find that the Megagrip variety was not manufactured "years ago." In fact, I have never seen that tread design before. Well, not on a boot anyway. I'm thinking it's probably more for new-fangled "cross-over" footwear (i.e. jogging in the woods).
                          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 12-24-2019, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I think you will find that the Megagrip variety was not manufactured "years ago." In fact, I have never seen that tread design before. Well, not on a boot anyway. I'm thinking it's probably more for new-fangled "cross-over" footwear (i.e. jogging in the woods).
                            I just checked and there was a Vibram "Grip" introduced in 1988, and the Vibram "Megagrip" came along in 2013.
                            It seems there are literally dozens of variations.

https://us.vibram.com/company/about/history/

Comment

Sorel Caribou were top of the line for cold weather ... once upon a time when they were still made in Sorel, Quebec. Since moving to China they are junk! Leather is very poor quality, especially the tongues. Formerly (a long time ago formerly) they put Vibram soles on their boots. Then they went to a sole of their own with a tree design in the tread. Those didn't hold up very well. Now they have gone entirely to their cheap nipples design for sole tread. Obviously the purpose is to use less sole material. Those nipples wear flat just looking at them! Absolute junk! The D-rings for laces are not sewn tightly enough in their straps. Consequently they have a tendency to rotate and cut through the straps made of cheap leather. Last pair I bought didn't make it through two hunting seasons.
                              My Sorels were made in Canada marked right on the sole. I just bought a new pair of liners since the ones in them are 20 years old. They did fine this season in Colorado although not my favorite long walk boots. Happy Trails

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad