Another innovation: the one dollar powder funnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another innovation: the one dollar powder funnel

Somehow my dad's old powder funnel disappeared over the years. The local gun shop has a used one ... for $20 !! No thanks. Also, I didn't like the design. One of those one-size-fits-all things. Works by fitting OUTSIDE the neck instead of inside. Too easy to lose powder with unsteady hands. Last fall in a pinch I made do with a cheap plastic turkey baster cut off into a sort-of funnel. Flimsy thing cracked and broke when I dropped it on the floor. When going through loading stuff to get ready for trip to Montana I found a .270 empty among the 30-06 stuff. Not sure where it came from because no one in the family has ever shot them. About to throw it in the garbage when a light went on. Hmmm. Will .270 neck fit inside 30-06 casing? Well, yes it does! Nice and snug. So I bought a set of cheap funnels at the dollar store, cut the .270 casing off, and jammed the small funnel into it. Actually had to cut a slit in the funnel neck to get it to compress enough to fit into the .270. Works like a charm. Unbreakable too.

Hmmm. Two responses from Pighunter and someone else both disappeared before I could look at them. I was even temporarily blocked from opening my own thread. Weird.

Comment

A dollar?
      Why so much?
      My RCBS "all caliber" powder funnel would allow my .22 Hornet cases to go up into the funnel.
      Got tired of dumping Herco 2400 on the floor.
      I just took a page out of a pocket sized notebook, rolled it up into a funnel that fit into the Hornet case mouth. Taped it with Scotch tape.
      It's still on my bench.
      Maybe 3 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
        Somehow my dad's old powder funnel disappeared over the years. The local gun shop has a used one ... for $20 !! No thanks. Also, I didn't like the design. One of those one-size-fits-all things. Works by fitting OUTSIDE the neck instead of inside. Too easy to lose powder with unsteady hands. Last fall in a pinch I made do with a cheap plastic turkey baster cut off into a sort-of funnel. Flimsy thing cracked and broke when I dropped it on the floor. When going through loading stuff to get ready for trip to Montana I found a .270 empty among the 30-06 stuff. Not sure where it came from because no one in the family has ever shot them. About to throw it in the garbage when a light went on. Hmmm. Will .270 neck fit inside 30-06 casing? Well, yes it does! Nice and snug. So I bought a set of cheap funnels at the dollar store, cut the .270 casing off, and jammed the small funnel into it. Actually had to cut a slit in the funnel neck to get it to compress enough to fit into the .270. Works like a charm. Unbreakable too.
        Get the green plastic RCBS funnel. There are two sizes. Different size hole for larger or smaller flow rate for different size large or small cases and they are recessed so the funnel will sit on top of a shell. Couple bucks at a flea market.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Get the green plastic RCBS funnel. There are two sizes. Different size hole for larger or smaller flow rate for different size large or small cases and they are recessed so the funnel will sit on top of a shell. Couple bucks at a flea market.
          I believe the funnel at the gun shop is RCBS. They have cone shaped bottom that fits over the top of the shell, right? The benefit of this one is it slips inside the case rather than balanced on top over the outside. Foolproof. No worries about shell tipping over when I'm trying to pour the powder in. Empty shell and funnel are joined solidly together. The hand that holds the funnel is by necessity also holding the shell upright.

I live in rural NW Ontario. Hardly a flea market Mecca up here.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 12-20-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            A dollar?
            Why so much?
            My RCBS "all caliber" powder funnel would allow my .22 Hornet cases to go up into the funnel.
            I just took a page out of a pocket sized notebook, rolled it up into a funnel that fit into the Hornet case mouth. Taped it with Scotch tape.
            It's still on my bench.
            Maybe 3 cents.
            Yeah, I tried the paper funnel too. I'm a bit too shaky in my dotage to remain steady enough to keep everything lined up. Also I toss all my loading stuff in a bag and store it in the root cellar out of the way so my work area is freed up for other stuff ... like shotgun reloading and my daughter's taxidermy stuff. A paper funnel wouldn't hold up to that.

Comment

A dollar?
              Why so much?
              It's still on my bench.
              Maybe 3 cents.
              Bubba, 2400 and Herco are two different powders.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Bubba, 2400 and Herco are two different powders.
                jimbo,
                write a 2 sentence synopsis and post it.

Comment

Odd how I've loaded ammo forever and not had a prob with an outsider, anti static RCBS powder funnel.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    Odd how I've loaded ammo forever and not had a prob with an outsider, anti static RCBS powder funnel.
                    My dad's old Herters powder measure had different tips for dispensing. They all work on the same "outsider" principle. It worked fine ... until the measure stopped throwing accurately. I could hold the shell tightly against the powder measure with left hand and work the handle with right hand. Now I am using an electronic scale/measure which requires that I pour the powder from pan into each shell. The shell must sit unsupported on the shelf while I work funnel and powder pan with both hands. An easy answer might be to simply drill a shallow hole in bench top to hold the shells. But that won't take care of my increasing shakiness. As it is I consistently fumble getting the pan off the scale (Why do they make the handles on the sides of those powder measure pans pixie size? And why are the handles flat instead of vertical? What grown man has fingers thin enough to get underneath them without jarring the pan?). Another answer would be to prime/size all shells first and put them in a block made for the purpose (Dad's is yellow plastic, RCBS I think). Yes, I should dig that thing out. During loading stages I have been putting the shells back in the twenty-cartridge factory box (or box shaped tupperware thing) which tips over easily. I now seat bullets in each shell while the electronic scale is slowly measuring the next load.

Hmmm. I see RCBS makes a powder pan with integrated funnel. Helluva idea. Never seen one before. One hand to dispense and one hand to hold the shell. Rather expensive ($18 Can from Amazon) but maybe worth it for a jittery old guy. Lyman makes one too with larger handles and a lot cheaper (ten bucks). They are both plastic. I guess I could heat the handles and bend them up a bit to make it easier to grab the funnel/pan from scale. A good stocking stuffer. Too bad it won't get here in time.
                    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 12-21-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Lol got quite a few measures from doing this for years , it’s a good tip to keep in mind in the future though.

Comment

I have both the red MTM loading block and the little green RCBS block.
                        I prefer the MTM.
                        It's deeper and works very well for rifle cartridges.
                        The little green RCBS block I like better for handgun cartridges and works better on my small bench.

Comment

I have both the red MTM loading block and the little green RCBS block.
                          I prefer the MTM.
                          It's deeper and works very well for rifle cartridges.
                          The little green RCBS block I like better for handgun cartridges and works better on my small bench.
                          Have the same opinion and results FB

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                            Lol got quite a few measures from doing this for years , it’s a good tip to keep in mind in the future though.
                            Your decrepit "future" it will come too soon, young Paddawan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Your decrepit "future" it will come too soon, young Paddawan.
                              Yes Yoda it will and the force be with you through these holidays.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad