Pickup shopping -- Toyota Tacoma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I doubt you'd be disappointed as long as you get one that was maintained properly. You might find a good deal on a new leftover now as well. My wife and I have been very happy with our three Hondas we've owned. Bought the first Ridgeline (new leftover RTS) in 2008, traded it in April of last year on a 2019 model and bought a new 2018 Civic Hatchback at the same time. Other than regular maintence and tires all we've had to replace was one set front and rear brakes on the first Ridgeline. Well not entirely true, the first year a rear strut started leaking which was replaced under warranty. Never an issue after. It was due for some more basic repairs which was why we traded it after 9 1/2 years. We were straight up with the dealer about it.

No doubt the Tacoma would be the better workhorse, but the Ridgelines ride and driveability is excellent, which my wife appreciates greatly.

Both makers have great reputations and loyal followers so I wouldn't be concerned if you find something that strikes your interest.

Can I ask what this would be replacing?
    I've driven an '03 Accord nearly trouble-free for the past 13 years. Other than a couple of brake jobs and muffler replacements, didn't have to replace anything until the starter three years ago, then the catalytic converter two years ago. I know the engine has years of life left (currently at about 115,000), but after all the years of CNY winters and salt, everything underneath ain't so cherry. Pretty much shot, in fact.

Thinking about a pickup is probably my mid-life crisis. With all our roadside access to woods and streams around here, I really don't need one, and I've never had any qualms about putting a dead buck in the trunk of a car. Plus, even in the worst snows, the Accord with a good set of snow tires has been excellent. The smart part of my brain says to just buy a new(er) Accord.
    Then again, even in mid-life crisis, I haven't started boozing or going to strip clubs. So there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

I've driven an '03 Accord nearly trouble-free for the past 13 years. Other than a couple of brake jobs and muffler replacements, didn't have to replace anything until the starter three years ago, then the catalytic converter two years ago. I know the engine has years of life left (currently at about 115,000), but after all the years of CNY winters and salt, everything underneath ain't so cherry. Pretty much shot, in fact.

Thinking about a pickup is probably my mid-life crisis. With all our roadside access to woods and streams around here, I really don't need one, and I've never had any qualms about putting a dead buck in the trunk of a car. Plus, even in the worst snows, the Accord with a good set of snow tires has been excellent. The smart part of my brain says to just buy a new(er) Accord.
      Then again, even in mid-life crisis, I haven't started boozing or going to strip clubs. So there's that.
      You’ll lose half your MPG if that matters to you, on the other hand you may wonder how you got along without a pickup for so long. Doesn’t sound like you rack up many miles in a year. The Accord held up well against the road salt, anything over 10 years is a bonus. When brake lines start popping it’s past time to go. That’s part of the reason we’ve gone to buying new. I almost rear ended a guy who stopped short to turn when the line blew in my 14 year old Dodge 2500 a number of years back.

We test drove an Accord along with the Civic, kids said the rear seats were better in the smaller car. Go figure. The Civic is a hoot to drive. The boy gets his learners permit shortly, maybe I didn’t think this one through. Took my road test in a Chrysler station wagon. The thing did have a 318 and was actually pretty quick but didn’t handle for crap 😎.

Don’t look at it as a midlife crisis, I told my wife I was having a midlife awareness when I booked the Montana trip. I knew exactly what and why I was doing stuff. Still do. The boozing and occasional strip club was ok back in the day but even if I was single today it would wear me out quick. Mostly did it back then out of boredom anyway. Don’t miss it at all.

Comment

You mean you've got to be in a crisis to drink and go to strip clubs??? One of my earliest memories is of my Dad letting me sip out of his beer. Went to my first strip club at 18 and it was only 18 months ago when I last visited one (Wilmington, DE). Of course now I'm old enough to be their grandfather!

I've gotten by very well without a truck for the past 25 years. I like SUV's because of the extra interior space compared to a truck. Add a hitch rack and the deer / pigs ride outside. Usually SUV's depreciate quicker than trucks and thus are a lower cost alternative on the used market. On rare occasions, I rent a truck to haul longer, bulkier loads. But in the long run that's much cheaper than owning one.

Comment

You don't have to but it's certainly a good excuse. 😎 One of my good friends married in the early 90's, over 20 of us went to a hockey game and then hit up a club afterwards. Included in the partygoers were his dad, his soon to be FiL, my old man, and a few other older guys. (Most of the crew were involved with our volunteer FD) No one got out of hand but it was definitely the most fun bachelor party I've ever been involved with, partly because the old guys hadn't cut loose like that in years. Just not my thing anymore.

Our Ridgeline isn't much more than an SUV with back lopped off. In fact they're based on the Odyssey minivan, but beefed up. I've had pickups for 30 years and hope never to be without one. I don't use caps because the whole point is to be able to toss stuff in the back. Firewood, dump runs, lumber, whatever. Just too handy, and these days comfortable to drive.

Comment

Sarge, A little story about my Taurus. It was a '89 with the V-6. In Colorado on business we decided to take a ride. Got to Mosquito Pass (13,200') and said 'what the heck' lets give it a try. There was a group of Jeeps ahead of us and they kept stopping to watch the Taurus navigate the rocks, etc on the so called trail. The car never missed a beat. Actually it was a little more dangerous going down the backside to Leadville. Only after a couple drinks in the Silver Dollar Salon did we learn the pass we were on was limited to Jeeps and 4X4's only.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-13-2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
              by MattM37
              The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can...
              Today, 01:32 PM
            • Turkey Hunting Newbie
              by Big5ully9
              I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What...
              Yesterday, 04:14 PM
            • Reply to 40 year old rookie
              by Danbo
              I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
              Today, 01:19 PM
            • 40 year old rookie
              by Coach79
              Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
              Yesterday, 09:12 AM
            • Reply to Get Off Social Media
              by Danbo
              Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
              Today, 01:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X