Pickup shopping -- Toyota Tacoma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup shopping -- Toyota Tacoma?

Any you guys have/had a Toyota Tacoma? Looking at possibly buying a 2 or 3-year-old. I like what I've read but would like to hear from someone who drives one. Or, any other recommendations? I'm not in the market for a full-size, and generally I've always liked Hondas and Toyotas for their reliability and longevity.

Matt, I've never had a Tacoma, always opting for SUV's instead. (My current hunting vehicle is a 2002 Xterra 4x4). However, the Toyota has held my interest whenever I'm looking for a new(er) hunting vehicle. The biggest problem for me is that they hold their value well which means even a used one is relatively costly. That actually makes a new one more attractive.

Now, there's another option in the new Ford Ranger. Here's an article comparing the two trucks.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/ranger-vs-tacoma

Comment

Sorry, always drove Chevy or GMC trucks. Cars though, have always been Toyota. Had Celicas,an Echo, Corollas. She's looking at a new Camry this summer and then switch to a SUV in a few years when she retires.Just how it worked out as to what my wife likes and what I do.
      Last edited by dewman; 12-12-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I'm a MoPar man.
        We haven't bought a new vehicle since 1996.
        I'm driving a 1995 2500, a 2003 2500 and a 2001 3500.
        The '01 has a Cummins diesel and 394k miles!
        I just drove it 550 miles across Texas at 70 mph and it still got better mileage than the 2 gas engines.

Comment

I doubt you'd be disappointed as long as you get one that was maintained properly. You might find a good deal on a new leftover now as well. My wife and I have been very happy with our three Hondas we've owned. Bought the first Ridgeline (new leftover RTS) in 2008, traded it in April of last year on a 2019 model and bought a new 2018 Civic Hatchback at the same time. Other than regular maintence and tires all we've had to replace was one set front and rear brakes on the first Ridgeline. Well not entirely true, the first year a rear strut started leaking which was replaced under warranty. Never an issue after. It was due for some more basic repairs which was why we traded it after 9 1/2 years. We were straight up with the dealer about it.

No doubt the Tacoma would be the better workhorse, but the Ridgelines ride and driveability is excellent, which my wife appreciates greatly.

Both makers have great reputations and loyal followers so I wouldn't be concerned if you find something that strikes your interest.

Can I ask what this would be replacing?

Comment

I drive nothing but Fords and my last one was a 2015 when a lady hit me head on and bent the frame on my 2011. My buddy has a Toyoto Tacoma and I ride with him sometimes. The only thing I don't like is when you are sitting in the seat your butt is as low as your feet, I feel like I am laying down. My Son had one but he opted for something that rode better and he just bought a Toyota Tundra. My Father sold Fords for over 30 years and I figure that any vehicle that has been the best selling vehicle in its class for almost 40 years has something going for it. My F-150 that was totaled had 40,000 miles on it and was 4 years old and I got $4000 less than I paid for it new. The F-150's hold their value as well as the Toyotas.

Comment

Sarge, I've actually become a Ford man in the last 8 years with two Fusion sedans in my garage, 2012 and 2017. They have been great vehicles, well built, great gas mileage, easy to drive.

The F-150 has grown so much that a 4x4 would not be able to fit into my garage. That's why the new Ranger has peaked my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                Sarge, I've actually become a Ford man in the last 8 years with two Fusion sedans in my garage, 2012 and 2017. They have been great vehicles, well built, great gas mileage, easy to drive.

The F-150 has grown so much that a 4x4 would not be able to fit into my garage. That's why the new Ranger has peaked my interest.
                With my wife's Taurus in the garage it takes it all to get my F-150 in the garage. I looked at and drove the new Ranger but it like the Tocoma is too small inside.

Comment

Bought my first Cummins diesel in '02.
                  On the drive down from Okla, the diesel, with 385k miles, owned the road.
                  Refilled it only once.
                  The 2 gas trucks had to be refilled twice!
                  I'm sold on diesel!
                  Toyota Tundra, I think, now comes with a Cummins diesel.
                  Sadly, it requires that stupid DEF (diesel emmission fluid) that must be filled separately!
                  If it weren't for the DEF. I would consider a new diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    I'm a MoPar man.
                    I just drove it 550 miles across Texas at 70 mph and it still got better mileage than the 2 gas engines.
                    I have the 5.0 V-8 with 385 HP and I get 22 -24 on open road when I am running 55 MPG and don't push the throttle through the firewall. Running 70 MPH on the interstate I get 18- 18.5

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      I'm a MoPar man.
                      Bubba, My Sisters GMC p/u with 5.7 had 385,000 when her boy totaled it.

Comment

I would look for a Chev or Ford lease turn in. Low miles, been maintained. I like the Jeeps and would take a look at the new p/u if I was in the markiet. Jeeps are good all around vehicle that hold their value. I get 22 to 23 hwy at 70mph with my 400hp Hemi. I pull my trailer, loaded to camp and pass people going up hill. Awesome power. A hunting buddy has a new Toyota, well equipped, on a lease for less than you could buy a used one. Just saying.

Comment

sarge01/jhjimbo

Both our gasoline Dodge's sport the 360 cid engines, known gas guzzlers.
                          I'm running them because the vehicles were bargains despite the engine.
                          There were two fill up stops for the gassers.
                          We filled up at a half tank to make it through the metromess so we weren't fighting to get in and out of traffic.
                          We filled again because there are some long, desolate stretches. Don't want to run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.
                          Both 360's get pretty good mileage for 360's. the automatic trans gets 15mpg on the highway.
                          The 5 speed standard gets 16/17mpg (overdrive) on the highway.
                          In town, they guzzle!

My eldest was recently looking for a new p/u.
                          Even used Ford and Chevy were running well north of the $50k mark!
                          Some as much as $75k.
                          Ended up with a Subaru instead.

The Cummins in our '01 can be rebuilt for about $10k. Five thou parts, $5k labor....and it will STILL outlast one of today's "newbies"!

Comment

I bought the 2002 Xterra 7 years ago for $7k and now it's got about 185k miles. It only gets 15 mpg but that's insignificant with gas prices this low. Mainly used for going hunting and for hauling canoes, I hope to keep it at least another 3 years. The 4x4 functions very well and it's easier to park compared to a full-sized pick-up. Also easier to turn around on tight logging roads.

Upgraded to a blue-tooth capable radio recently to aid in hands-free telephone conversations.

Comment

I guess I'm not the motorheads you guys are. Working on tractors and field equipment, seemed like it was constant, kind of burned me out on auto repair and upgrading. Got a 2013 Silverado and an old 98 SLE that was the farm get around. I turn the key and they start and stay running till I turn the key back off. Don't even know what their mpg is anymore. The 2013 has 46k and the 98 has 215k. And that's about all I know.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Ponder This
                                by jhjimbo
                                There is also some recollection the virus of 2014 was actually released by the government research lab....
                                Today, 02:01 AM
                              • Ponder This
                                by jhjimbo
                                From Tucker Carlson TV
                                The ONLY Chinese Government Biological Warfare research lab is in Wuhan, China.
                                Yesterday, 10:06 PM
                              • Reply to Five Senators
                                by jhjimbo
                                I don't think an impeached President has to be removed....
                                Today, 01:57 AM
                              • Five Senators
                                by jhjimbo
                                The game plan of the DEMS is to get the 5 Senators who are up for election in Nov, to break with the Conservatives and join the DEMS in voting for impeachment....
                                Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                              • Reply to Five Senators
                                by 99explorer
                                BHR - Guilt has already been established.
                                The only question before the Senate is whether the president's conduct is serious enough to warrant removal
                                Today, 12:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X