Hits and misses from our tripDefinatebeenbukilledfarvsid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hits and misses from our tripDefinatebeenbukilledfarvsid

One nice thing about booking our trip so far out was that i was able to wait on some great deals on new gear for the boy and I. Turned out we didn't need all of it, like rain gear, but we did put most of it to use. Also had some old favorites we took along.

Hits:

Danner Pronghorn GTX boots and Terramar heavyweight merino socks. I had the boots and just bought the socks this fall. Turned out to be a fantastic combo. From single digits to 30*+ my feet were comfortable. Didn't sweat hiking and didn't get cold sitting. Had slight trouble with a thinner sock later in the week downhilling but it ended up not being an issue. I'll keep my Muck's for work and treestands but the Danner's will be my go to boot for hiking.

Fleece base and mid layer tops, plus a fleece hoody. Layered accordingly. Same as the boot/sock combo, didn't overheat hiking, stayed dry and warm sitting.

Puffy jacket. Absolutely a hit. Bought a couple different ones for the boy and I, weigh almost nothing, pack easy and are warm when sitting. I've had a bad habit of over dressing and then overheating on my way up behind the house. Shouldn't happen much anymore.

LL Bean Wardens Day Pack. Another item I never used around home as I like to travel light. Having a few things with you helps keep you out there. Definately need for carrying layers, i.e. puffy jacket.

Headlamp. Again not something I've used much at home, but after using one for a week is something I'll utilize more often.

Elastic knee supports.The type runners wear, $3 each from Wal-Mart. Huge hit. I started wearing these for work before the trip and wish I'd bought them a couple years ago. Considering the way my lower back and hips felt compared to my knees they work fantastic.

Money belt. Used it all week, no issues. Was nice not worrying about losing cash

Misses

Leupold standard rings, the type with rear windage screws.
    As I mentioned in the other post, they didn't maintain zero. I didn't use locktite, but did clean things thoroughly and used a torque wrench. The guy who replaced them said they didn't appear loose but something wasn't right. That style ring has been around forever but with modern scopes the windage adjustments aren't usually necessary. I have three sets under the bench now and won't be using them again. Too many screws to loosen.

Go Pro. Made the trip but never left the lodge. Need to figure out a way to use the thing to get familiar with it. Otherwise just too much trouble to bother with unfortunately.

Prepackaged snacks. Great to eat, but the wrappers are noisy as heck in the cold. From now on I'll be putting them in sandwich bags first.

Heavy wool sweater with wind liner. Hate to say it because I really like the thing. You can probably guess the brand but it doesn't matter because it was the weight that killed it for hiking. Started out with it on the second day, over heated in the first half hour and put it in the pack replacing it with a crew fleece.No problem afterwards. Never wore it the rest of the week. Probably will regulate it to bumming around in on the weekends, other than for really cold sits. It does layer under the puffy.

Not sure

Nosler E-Tips. Jury will be out on these for awhile. Once we got the ring deal straightened out they seemed to shoot really well. As I mentioned before we had more of these on hand to resight the rifle with and decided to go with them. I definitely can't say they failed at all because the deer didn't really go anywhere, but I wonder if we'd used the Partitions if it wouldn't have dropped, or at least died quicker due to a bigger wound channel in the lungs. Unfortunately we didnt have time to really look things over, but the only exit I noticed was the one through the neck. Not much meat damage at all either. Because of the downward angle it's very possible that the far side lung didn't get a direct hit which could explain it. The guide did the gutless butcher method so we didnt look inside the chest cavity. For our smaller whitetails here the 140gr copper bullets might not be the best option.

Sorry about my topic titles, for some reason the site adds stuff in. I think it has to do with me taking so long to post and having to re-log in. Annoying.

Comment

Went through the same my first trip to Colorado. Three of us loaded down a Ford F150 and left enough stuff behind to stock a three family garage sale.
      The next year, loading the truck took about 30 minutes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad