Ford's new monster V-8 engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford's new monster V-8 engine.

Do we really need this, or is this the start of another horsepower race?
    Made in Canada.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news...154100242.html

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    Made in Canada.

445.5 ci. is a whopper. I had a 440 ci in a GTX and the torque is unbelievable.

Comment

I bought a brand new 1976 Ford F150 that had a 460 cid in it.
      Around town, it drank gas like a refugee eats!
      Load the bed with gear and hit the highway to Colorado, drive between 70 and 75 mph and it would get 16 to 18 mpg!

Comment

Some folks might need it. Many that buy wont.

Nice to have choices.

Comment

Drove a new Ford pickup today with the 6 cylinder gasoline engine. It was a single cab XL with 6.5 foot bed. Very nice 2x4 for the lowest cost on the lot. About $25k out the door. Had plenty of acceleration for me. But guess I'll stick with my '02 Xterra 4x4 for another season since it's still running good.

That 2x4 truck would get much better milage than the Nissan 4x4
          Last edited by PigHunter; 09-20-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            Some folks might need it. Many that buy wont.

Nice to have choices.
            Ford said the target for the 445 ci is the F-250, 350 and 450 for the people who need the poop but don't or can't afford the extra cost of the diesel. I am surprised they did not make the new engine out of a V-10 that they have a lot of experience with. Engine will be produced in Windsor. Hope they add some extra bearing cap bolts.
            When Chrysler came out with the 5.7 Hemi they beefed up the bottom end considerably and added a 7 qt oil pan. Mine is redlined at 6,500 rpm. Once a week I run it up to 5,500 to help clean the 16 spark plugs.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-21-2019, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              Made in Canada.

My 2015 F-150 with the 5.0 has 385 Horsepower. I don't know why I would want anything with more power. It will stay with the Toyoto big V-8 and the GM Durmax and that is fine with me. A Toyoto driver found out the hard way that he couldn't stay with the 5.0 V8.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

My 2015 F-150 with the 5.0 has 385 Horsepower. I don't know why I would want anything with more power. It will stay with the Toyoto big V-8 and the GM Durmax and that is fine with me. A Toyoto driver found out the hard way that he couldn't stay with the 5.0 V8.
                The new 7.2 l is designed for F250,350 and 450 for people who need the power (hauling and towing) but can't justify the additional cost of the diesel.

Comment

Once again I've decided against buying a truck. It's much less cost to just rent one when needed. I really like my 2002 Xterra and will continue driving it for my hunting vehicle. The 4x4 drivetrain has been very useful for muddy and steep terrain. Also, it performed flawlessly a few years ago to get me home after one of our rare snow / ice events. It's got about 180k miles now and should be good for several more years.

Our other two vehicles are Ford Fusion sedans. Both are comfortable, easy to drive and get about 30 mpg.

Comment

For power it has half the torque as my straight six. Plus I get 15 even towing. I don't consider the extra cost of a diesel to be very much, I think I paid an extra $2K for the Aisin tranny. I skip all the bells and whistles, shop around, and voila, the expensive pickup becomes cheap. For me torque is a lot more important than horse power in a full sized pick up. I carry and pull.

For anything off road, smaller is better. I think my 3500 has a 500 ft turning radius.

Last Saturday I put money down on a Tacoma V6 as my run around truck, they still have to get it delivered to the local dealer. I found myself driving the 20 year old civic to bid jobs and it doesn't look right, sure is easier to drive though. Car I'd most like to buy would be a Fiesta or similar. Econo box. Good on gas.

Comment

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has tow hooks in the front but does not have the rear hook. I have been stuck a few times when the rear hook would have been helpful. My question is for the hook that fits in the 2" receiver hitch, how much can that hook pull VS the factory Jeep hitch that uses a bracket that bolts to the frame (3 bolts) then a hook on a square tube that slides in to a 2" square receiver tube on the bracket. I can get the Jeep hook for $70 used and the hook that uses the receiver hitch I think is about $40. What do you think?

Comment

So I finally got that Toyota with the V 6. The thing gained a couple cylinders and a couple doors and a back seat from what I'd originally envisioned but I can see the benefits. Payload is 14 bags of concrete but the bed is a tiny 5.5 feet. No elk will ever be winched into that thing. Speaking of which you can't put chains on the front, or I wouldn't. A mere inches between the tire and the brake lines and front end. I'll get them for the rear and bring a shovel everywhere. It should pay for itself with depreciation. 30 thousand plus taxes. If it breaks down I can probably put it in the back of the Ram.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad