Latest innovation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest innovation.

Here's the cherry wood gun case I just finished for my recently acquired Browning Citori.

Very nice! Where did you get the plans and hardware?

Comment

Yep, as usual, very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Very nice! Where did you get the plans and hardware?
        Hardware: Carrying handle scavenged from a piece of junk luggage I bought at Salvation Army Store for $4.99. Two cam locks bought at Lowes but significantly modified to become hook latch locks. Piano hinge and lid stay from Home Depot.

Plans: Came right out of my head, just like the ammo box and gun case I previously designed and built for my two A-5 shotguns. For this one I changed the box corners. I cut them offset dato before cutting the box joints. My router bit was not long enough for the 3/4" oak lumber I used for the first boxes. Consequently I had to run the router through the jig twice for each corner with bit set deeper for second cut. By employing offset dato I was able reduce the box joints to half the width of the lumber (important because cherry lumber was even thicker 7/8") which meant I could cut the joints with just one pass of the router. Reduced the potential for irregular joint pegs. Also the router bit had a tendency to wander out of the chuck when it was only gripped at the tip of the shank during second pass.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ammo Box Montage.jpg Views:	7 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	714212
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Gun case with foam.jpg Views:	7 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	714213
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-12-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          Here's the cherry wood gun case I just finished for my recently acquired Browning Citori.
          What are you using to hold everything in place ? Why not leave the forearm attached to the muzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

What are you using to hold everything in place ? Why not leave the forearm attached to the muzzle.
            Layers of half inch foam cover inside of lid and floor of bottom. Gun pieces are held in place with another layer of one inch foam with cutouts to fit.

I never thought of combining fore end and barrels. Hmm. ... Okay, I tried that and it won't work. The fore end apparently will not clamp onto the barrels without them being attached to the receiver first.

Comment

You have golden hands, it looks amazing!

Comment

Welcome to our humble forum, Caroline.
                What's a classy dame like you doing in a joint like this?

Comment

My thought was is her first name North or South ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Layers of half inch foam cover inside of lid and floor of bottom. Gun pieces are held in place with another layer of one inch foam with cutouts to fit.

I never thought of combining fore end and barrels. Hmm. ... Okay, I tried that and it won't work. The fore end apparently will not clamp onto the barrels without them being attached to the receiver first.
                    Works like that on my Franchi s/s & o/u. Allows for a smaller breakdown case, good for traveling!!

Comment

Works like that on my Franchi s/s & o/u. Allows for a smaller breakdown case, good for traveling!!
                      I can't see that attaching the fore end to the barrels would have made this case much smaller. Maybe slightly narrower? No, I don't think so. The top of butt is nearly touching the barrels now. Can't make the case any narrower than that. I can see no advantage to attaching the fore end. Certainly not for this gun. I'd have to pull off the fore end to mount the barrels when putting it together and then remove it again when removing the barrels for storage. So why not just leave it off and store it that way?

Comment

Franchi shotguns come with a plastic break down travel case, they would appear to be much smaller than the one you built. Yes not apples to apples but most folks I know don't want an extra large travel case unless they are flying long distances and want the extra protection. ( more foam and better fit )
                        Nice work on yours but maybe not what the average person wants or needs.
                        As well any canvas break down case I have seen only has two slots, one for the stock/receiver & one for the forearm/barrel.
                        😀

Comment

Franchi shotguns come with a plastic break down travel case, they would appear to be much smaller than the one you built. Yes not apples to apples but most folks I know don't want an extra large travel case unless they are flying long distances and want the extra protection. ( more foam and better fit )
                          Nice work on yours but maybe not what the average person wants or needs.
                          As well any canvas break down case I have seen only has two slots, one for the stock/receiver & one for the forearm/barrel.
                          😀
                          I'm not sure how this case could be made any more compact. The barrels fit almost flush to inside ends of the case and top/bottom of butt stock fits even closer. Granted the sides of the box are made from 7/8" lumber which is a little over the top but I didn't have a planer to thin the stuff. Top and bottom are 1/2" veneer plywood (which I had to special order as only 3/4" or 1/4" was locally available and that stuff was either too heavy or too flimsy). The case is overall 11x32x3½" which is hardly "extra large" (that would be the oak double gun full length job I built for my A-5s). The angle of the photograph (to show both the marbled grain pattern in the top and hardware on the front) makes the case look wider than it really is. I'm guessing it weighs eleven or twelve pounds with gun inside. Not lightweight but not an arm buster either (like the oak double gun case). If your Franchi has 28" barrels I doubt it's case is a whole lot more compact than this one. Most guys I know who shoot targets with O/Us are really into the aesthetics. They prefer something that shows off their expensive guns. Plastic is cheap and practical but not very pretty. I try to shoot for practical and pretty. Unfortunately not very cheap (lumber alone was $160 but of course I have lots left over). Incidentally, my case meets all aircraft/airport requirements (simply hard sided and lockable) but I will never let the baggage apes get their hands on it. We took our guns to Africa in Kalispel gun cases. Very impressive gear: not bad looking, and pretty much indestructible. My case has enough foam for the job. Any more and the case would be too bulky. The gun parts are clamped firmly in place when the case is closed ... and even when it's opened. A couple of times I have inadvertently picked up my unlocked closed A-5 case off the table at the club and had it flop open without either of the guns falling out.
                          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-13-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Honk, could be more compressed. Nice woodwork. Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherby & case 002.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	714541

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Honk, could be more compressed. Nice woodwork. Click image for larger version  Name:	Weatherby & case 002.JPG Views:	4 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	714541
                              That is a Browning factory case. I see many of them at the trap club. Doesn't appear to me to be much more compressed in size than the case I designed. Take a look for yourself. I looked one of those cases over carefully before making this one. They are actually quite thin material. Some kind of plywood or fiberboard covered with what appears to be faux leather. That style luggage handle is easily knocked off or damaged. I know this from experience. The plastic double gun case I bought to bring my first A-5 back from Korea in 1972 is now missing both handles. This case's handle isn't going to get knocked off! And it's a helluva lot kinder to the hands than the Browning case's thin plastic one. The velvet lining of Browning case looks quite sexy but shows oil and gunpowder residue stains. The 1" foam I used for cutout is somewhat sun bleached stuff the local upholsterer let me have cheap. It will show stains too (per its predecessor oak double gun case) but I can easily pull the foam out and wash it when needed. Doesn't appear the Browning case's liner can be removed for cleaning. I actually ordered a roll of original charcoal coloured foam (same colour as lid liner) but thought I'd use up the other stuff first as a test run. The charcoal coloured foam doesn't show powder/oil stains. Browning's velvet lined case doesn't hold gun parts as tightly as my cutout foam. If they move around inside the case the blueing will wear off. The locking latches on the Browning case are quite flimsy and easily picked or jimmied open. Similar to the phoney latch locks on my old plastic gun case from Korea. The locks on my case latch internally so they are impossible to pry off, and they are modified cam locks with tumblers that use real keys. And finally, the Browning case doesn't have a lid stay so it has to be held open or it will flop shut (it doesn't have a lid stay because the sides of the case are too thin and flimsy to support one). Those Browning cases look pretty ... but they really aren't much ... except very expensive ... because they have the Browning name attached. My case will be going with my great grandson to the range in the next century. The Browning case will probably be in a landfill by then. My case is designed to be functional and durable in an attractive package. The Browning case is designed to be cheap to make but pretty ... and carry the Browning name. That's all consumers are looking for. Anyone who's been to the range knows trap shooters are slaves to designer name fashion.
                              Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-17-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad