African gear report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Monocular would not have given much better view of things than my rifle scope on 9x. The problem with them is lack of field of vision that one gets with binoculars. I had a small spotting scope my partner lent me but it wasn't very portable. Field of vision was also very tight with that thing. The PH and tracker have much better eyes and equipment than I do. And they know what they're looking for. Just as well let them do their job.
    A rifle scope at 9x will typically have a field of view around 14 feet at 100 yards. That's about 2.7 degrees. A monocular will have over twice that field of view. Here's the chart for the Vortex models

Comment

Honker - What was your experience with the insect problem in Africa?

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        Honker - What was your experience with the insect problem in Africa?
        No problem. I saw one mosquito in my lodge room sink when I arrived. That was it for them. One day when hunting kudu we walked by a busy bee hive in an acacia tree. Just kept moving on.

Comment

Usually South Africa, especially the area Ontario was in , insects not a problem. Still go prepared.. Malaria mosquitoes are small come out at night. Americans are used to our big burley ones like the ones that attack us when in Alaska. If you are interested in bad bugs go farther north while in Africa. West Africa has huge variety. East Africa has dangerous mosquitoes and worst of all, Tsetse. Where my wife and I are headed in a few days Tsetse are horrible, I can hear them cackling in anticipation. My wife is very allergic to them. The good side is The Fly keep out the herders. Lots of Cape buffalo. Big ones.
          Last edited by Happy Myles; 09-06-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Happy - Thanks.
            Honker - I hope you're saving copies of all this, because tomorrow it could be gone with the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              Happy - Thanks.
              Honker - I hope you're saving copies of all this, because tomorrow it could be gone with the wind.
              What's going on?

Comment

Honker - No cause for alarm. Just an observation about the unpredictable format changes on this site.

Comment

Since 8x21's mentioned in the OP....................

Cameraland had 10x32 Steiner XCs on special.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/steine...396&query=2025

Sorry for the late post, they have less than a half doz left.

Have no idea if they're good or bad. Will report end of week LOL
                  Thought in the past about a little pair of their "predators".

Am NOT impressed with the old Steiner military "Commandos".
                  Used them one weekend and said forget it.
                  Think pops paid over a grand for em back in the day.
                  Been sent back twice and last time, replaced. All he did was birdwatch with em.
                  Compass failure, and leaking.
                  Greens no more, was replaced w blue rubber jobby.
                  Not failed.

Dunno where he got em, proly when he was a dealer so maybe Midsouth?
                  Last edited by CD2; 09-09-2019, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                    Since 8x21's mentioned in the OP....................

Cameraland had 10x32 Steiner XCs on special.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/steine...396&query=2025

Sorry for the late post, they have less than a half doz left.

Have no idea if they're good or bad. Will report end of week LOL
                    Thought in the past about a little pair of their "predators".

Am NOT impressed with the old Steiner military "Commandos".
                    Used them one weekend and said forget it.
                    Think pops paid over a grand for em back in the day.
                    Been sent back twice and last time, replaced. All he did was birdwatch with em.
                    Compass failure, and leaking.
                    Greens no more, was replaced w blue rubber jobby.
                    Not failed.

Dunno where he got em, proly when he was a dealer so maybe Midsouth?
                    I believe my 8x21 Steiners are Predator. They come with a nylon case that attaches to belt which worked well for me. Got them on sale for a ridiculous low price. The regional sales rep had dumped a whole bunch of them at the local gun shop to sell as a promotion. Unfortunately the larger Steiners just didn't work with my screwed up eyes. Produced double vision. Almost have to squeeze these together to make them work for my eyes. Even then they didn't work great. At one point we had a nice kudu buck standing in cover just below the edge of an opening on opposite hill just waiting to get shot and both tracker and PH were beside themselves that I couldn't find it. Not with my binocs or the Nikon scope on sticks at 9x. Never did see the damned thing and it finally walked off. Very frustrating. Getting old sucks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad