Tried and True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried and True

What is your oldest piece of gear that you still actually use? What is it, how old is it, how did you get it?

I have an old pair of camo hunting pants as well as the red/black insulated Woolrich bibs. Bibs must date from the mid '60's. Camo pants about the same. Two firearms from '57 and '64. '57 is a JC Higgins .22 rifle, paid about $40 for it. '64 is a Browning Challenger .22 pistol, paid $67.00. I have original box and receipt.

Comment

I have guns, knives, scopes, and some fishing lures and reels from the early 70's. The reels don't work.

Comment

Not including firearms there are two things that come to mind.
        First is my drag rope, one of those orange nylon strap deals. It was a gift from my cousin maybe 25 years ago.
        Second are some original Phoebes I’ve picked up in the last few years. I’m kinda careful with those as I’d hate to loose them. The guy that invented them lived in my dad’s hometown, he was known for handing them out to kids. When I was about 14 he was getting a haircut at my dad’s shop and gave me a half dozen. Guess he had a deal with Acme or something because he had a bunch of the old paper cards that you’d pull them off to buy them individually. Wish I still had one of those lures. I’ve probably gone through 30-40 phoebes over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Not including firearms there are two things that come to mind.
          First is my drag rope, one of those orange nylon strap deals. It was a gift from my cousin maybe 25 years ago.
          Second are some original Phoebes I’ve picked up in the last few years. I’m kinda careful with those as I’d hate to loose them. The guy that invented them lived in my dad’s hometown, he was known for handing them out to kids. When I was about 14 he was getting a haircut at my dad’s shop and gave me a half dozen. Guess he had a deal with Acme or something because he had a bunch of the old paper cards that you’d pull them off to buy them individually. Wish I still had one of those lures. I’ve probably gone through 30-40 phoebes over the years.
          I have some gold and silver phoebes, people in Ohio don't know what they are. What Town did the inventor live in ?

Comment

Not counting firearms...

I purchased my favorite canoe paddle around 1977 and still use it. It's got a straight aluminum shaft with plastic blade and T-handle. The paddle blade is larger than any I can find in current production and I can certainly do a lot with each stroke when really wanting to. The blade developed cracks about 6 years ago and I covered it with a layer of fiberglass / epoxy... better than new! Here's a picture of it beside my bent-shaft wooden paddle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Boat Paddles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	712775

My dive fins were purchased in 1980 when I took a SCUBA certification class while in college. The last I've used them was three years ago in St. Croix. The 20-something year old dive guide just shook her head when I pulled them from my gear bag. She seemed surprised at how well I did on that dive.

The oldest firearm I regularly use is a Winchester Model 74 manufactured in 1951. It was my Dad's squirrel rifle and it's still accurate.
            Last edited by PigHunter; 08-23-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I have some gold and silver phoebes, people in Ohio don't know what they are. What Town did the inventor live in ?
              You may have been there Jimbo, Downsville, about 15 miles north of Roscoe. Gentleman’s name was Blaine Wright. He made them before selling the rights to the Acme Tackle Co.

Acme tweaked the design a little bit but occasionally you can find the originals at flea markets and such in old tackle boxes. I actually bought two at a craft sale that someone had turned into women’s earrings. I paid $2 for the pair, put new split rings and hooks on them. Felt they deserved to be used as intended.

Comment

You may have been there Jimbo, Downsville, about 15 miles north of Roscoe. Gentleman’s name was Blaine Wright. He made them before selling the rights to the Acme Tackle Co.

Acme tweaked the design a little bit but occasionally you can find the originals at flea markets and such in old tackle boxes. I actually bought two at a craft sale that someone had turned into women’s earrings. I paid $2 for the pair, put new split rings and hooks on them. Felt they deserved to be used as intended.
                I hunt with friends from Roscoe who have a cabin not far out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Not counting firearms...

I purchased my favorite canoe paddle around 1977 and still use it. It's got a straight aluminum shaft with plastic blade and T-handle. The paddle blade is larger than any I can find in current production and I can certainly do a lot with each stroke when really wanting to. The blade developed cracks about 6 years ago and I covered it with a layer of fiberglass / epoxy... better than new! Here's a picture of it beside my bent-shaft wooden paddle.

Click image for larger version Name:	Boat Paddles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	712775

My dive fins were purchased in 1980 when I took a SCUBA certification class while in college. The last I've used them was three years ago in St. Croix. The 20-something year old dive guide just shook her head when I pulled them from my gear bag. She seemed surprised at how well I did on that dive.

The oldest firearm I regularly use is a Winchester Model 74 manufactured in 1951. It was my Dad's squirrel rifle and it's still accurate.
                  Did you ever try a kayak paddle in a canoe ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Did you ever try a kayak paddle in a canoe ?
                    Oh yes. Using a double blade has been my primary means of solo paddling for the last 18 years. The single blades still have their place when I solo, it just depends on the conditions. Here's a photo from December 2013 and you can see my kayak paddle leaning / tied to the tree. Notice that I spray painted the white blades with a duller color to attempt a little more concealment.

I have a tendency to always pull the canoe completely from the water and tie off high just in case there's an unexpected rise in level. This spot is about 3 miles from the boat landing and it's all flat water paddling. The water was only about 18 inches deep and I had to do shallow paddling to keep the blades out of mud.

The rifle shown is a Remington 7400 in .30-06 with carbine length barrel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_31555798528046.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	712804

Comment

I've got "some" gear, lures, knives, guns, etc from the 50's and 60's I inherited from my dad and grandad.
                      Some I still use, some is put up. Some occupy spots of honor around the house.

The most revered piece in my "collection" is a 1904 model L.C. Smith (Elsie) that my great uncle handed down to me in the early 50's.
                      I don't use it, it sits quietly in the gun safe. After all, it IS over 100 years old! LOL!
                      I suppose my second favorite piece is a Rem "Sportsman" 16 ga. Not a real collectible, but one of the first 500 made! I think that's pretty neat!

Comment

Appreciate the history, I never knew that about Phoebes. Funny that a spin-fishing lure was invented there in the fly-fishing mecca.

On occasion I've seen ladies wearing fishing-lure earrings -- I think I remember someone with a table full of them at the Syracuse Sportsman's Expo one year. Makes me think of a cool picture FS printed a few years ago, a close-up of a woman's long fingernails with a perfect painting of a trout fly instead of regular nail-polish. Man, talk about the whole package! I've had a couple girlfriends who really liked fishing but they weren't that into it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Appreciate the history, I never knew that about Phoebes. Funny that a spin-fishing lure was invented there in the fly-fishing mecca.

On occasion I've seen ladies wearing fishing-lure earrings -- I think I remember someone with a table full of them at the Syracuse Sportsman's Expo one year. Makes me think of a cool picture FS printed a few years ago, a close-up of a woman's long fingernails with a perfect painting of a trout fly instead of regular nail-polish. Man, talk about the whole package! I've had a couple girlfriends who really liked fishing but they weren't that into it.
                          Google his name with Phoebe inventor and a little blurb about it will show up on Facebook. I have a longer article about him from a local magazine, I might be able to copy/scan it if you’re interested. Will have to find it first though.

Comment

Google his name with Phoebe inventor and a little blurb about it will show up on Facebook. I have a longer article about him from a local magazine, I might be able to copy/scan it if you’re interested. Will have to find it first though.
                            Thanks for offering! Only if it's right handy.

Comment

After last year royally honked me off, I ditched a lot of stuff.
                              Today took a ladder stick to the woods to set a stand.
                              Of course the tree I spotted late season last yr, proved dead.
                              So picked a different tree, and it has curve, so the ladder stick won't lay flat against it.
                              Gotta pick another tree.

I don't have any now, but for private ground, screw in steps are great.
                              EZY my preferred brand. Single fold. Double folds are just gonna bite you LOL

Might have to order some, cheaper than going with section sticks (not joined together to form one stick).

Public land says no screw ins.
                              So may buy some Muddy not joined ladder sticks.
                              IIRC close to 200 retail. Ouch.

A dozen EZY way cheaper.............for private land only.

Woods was green, spiders galore. No new acorns down. 65 but covered to avoid tick issues.............burned me up.
                              I left my partial ladder stick on the crooked tree.
                              Will move it later.

At least I don't have to lug the thing into the woods now. Clanking and banging............just sucked.
                              Last edited by CD2; 09-09-2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                My eldest started life as a jailer.
                                Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                                "I'm tired of getting beat...
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                                Today, 04:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                                Today, 05:57 PM
                              • Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                                09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                                Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X