Red Dot's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dot's

What is the difference between a open Red Dot and a scope type Red Dot ? Function, operation, accuracy potential.

I believe the biggest difference would be in speed of target acquisition related to field of view. The tube style have a bit of tunnel vision to them, the open less so. I’ve looked through open styles on handguns but haven’t actually used one so no expert.

Comment

Jimbo, I've used a red dot scope on my crossbow and it was great in low light at the short distances I needed (up to 50 yards). However, the dot washed out in bright sunlight and I've since switched to a scope with lighted reticle. In bright light I just use the reticle in unpowered mode.

The other issue with red dots is the size of the dot. Get it too large and long distance aiming becomes a problem. Too small and it's harder to see in bright light.

Comment

All 3 styles have advantages & disadvantages.
        1. Scopes with lighted center dots
        + magnification
        ​​​​ - weight/bulk
        2. Traditional red dots
        + lense protection,smaller than scope
        - slower unless you buy a bigger bulkier unit.
        3. Reflex or heads up
        + fast & light
        - most fragile and most susceptible to back light and glare.
        This weekend 15 of us are gonna torture test a bunch of every description. Check out my post on Outdoorlife. It was inspired by you Jhjimbo.
        Last edited by dewman; 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I don't like to see the outside of the optic around the image.
          The smaller tube style reddots are that way.
          If size is not a problem, I like a 30mm Aimpoint (or clone). Had one w 3 moa dot on Contender .223. Accurate enough I felt the dot size a bit too big. On a .35 rem deer bbl.............it was perfect.

Am used to rifle scopes........so dislike seeing stuff around the sight picture.
          The smaller reddots I like better closer to the eye, but out a ways, on a handgun...............they irk me. Might be able to get used to it. Not tried long enough. Had a Bushnell TRS25 and it worked great, but had 3 moa dot.

The reflex stuff is nicer.........less crap, just a window frame.
          They do make you bring the gun up a little differently.
          Until you learn that, it can be frustrating.

Easier is the tube style reddot.

Reflex maybe not as durable, the Trijicon supposedly the most rugged so far.
          Not cheap.

For just learning, Sig Romeo 1 w auto shutoff.
          3 moa though.
          Still not as cheap as the Romeo 5 tube type, or Bushnell TRS25.

The ol lady is left eye dominate, barely. Has astigmatism too.
          Yet, her TRS25 she likes. Says the dot doesn't flare for her either.
          Maybe the illum makes her change dominant eye (she's not strong dominate left).
          Dunno how her eyes/brain wired but she sees a crips dot shooting right handed.

I think w irons or scope it'd be a bear to get her to shoot. Have to scotch tape her left lens on eyeglasses.

Had to do that w stepkid, worked great.

For whatever reasons..........the reddot works for her. Have not really dug into what the hell is going on, just relaying that it can be a game changer for somebody starting out.

Comment

The Romeo 5 has auto on/off.
            I got the bigger Leupold 1 moa reddot.
            Beefy base, it's on an AR right in front of iron sight.
            It works, but has a little issue around the dot (glare) so might be going back.
            It has auto on/off, but reportedly still way less battery life.

If I get another 30mm reddot it will be an Aimpoint.

Comment

I still want to mess with an Easy Hit dot sight............no batteries.

https://youtu.be/guhku8sqnGM

My bud likes the "see all" open sight.
              No batteries there either, tritium. Kinda blocky.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                by FirstBubba
                My eldest started life as a jailer.
                Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                "I'm tired of getting beat...
                Today, 06:00 PM
              • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                by FirstBubba
                How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                Today, 04:02 PM
              • Reply to Racism ??
                by jhjimbo
                99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                Today, 05:57 PM
              • Racism ??
                by jhjimbo
                Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
              • Reply to Racism ??
                by jhjimbo
                Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X