Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product Review: Red Head Tec-Lite II long sleeve hunting shirt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Product Review: Red Head Tec-Lite II long sleeve hunting shirt

    While in Twin Cities looking after my very sick Lab Opal two weeks ago, I needed something to keep me distracted so dropped in at both Cabelas ... several times (Gander is now an RV joint). Yes, most of you know my antipathy for that outfit and the good reasons but it was an emergency ... literally. Anyway, I found these shirts on sale and thought they might work for Africa. Tried one on and was stunned! A size large with sleeves that are almost too long for me. Wow! Invariably I have to buy XL just for sleeve length and then have this queen size sheet of extra fabric flapping loose around my middle. Ugh! Not only that, the sleeves on these shirts roll up and are held in place with button loops. Shoulders on the size large fit me perfectly and tail is plenty long enough to tuck in and stay there. Also has ventilation under armpits and vent strip across the back below the shoulders. The fabric is 90% polyester and 10% spandex so it won't be shrinking a micron after wash. I know, I know, it sounds like something a sissy bike riding soccer mom would wear but by gawd these shirts are comfortable! Feels like I'm wearing nothing. And looks great. Not sure who makes the two camo patterns but they are excellent (I bought one of each), especially the Tru-Timber Strata which will fit in just fine in South Africa. How durable? Maybe these will need to be babied a bit. I'm hanging mine to dry after washing rather than toss in the dryer. I love the feel of these shirts so much I haven't stopped wearing them since they left the store. Even to church!

    I think these are discontinued model so selection might be tough. Better hurry. WARNING: If you don't have long arms, these might not be for you. Better try one on if in doubt.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14895.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	706898
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM.

  • #2
    I get the feeling that men's clothes are made larger nowadays to fit our "growing" population.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
      While in Twin Cities looking after my very sick Lab Opal two weeks ago, I needed something to keep me distracted so dropped in at both Cabelas ... several times (Gander is now an RV joint). Yes, most of you know my antipathy for that outfit and the good reasons but it was an emergency ... literally. Anyway, I found these shirts on sale and thought they might work for Africa. Tried one on and was stunned! A size large with sleeves that are almost too long for me. Wow! Invariably I have to buy XL just for sleeve length and then have this queen size sheet of extra fabric flapping loose around my middle. Ugh! Not only that, the sleeves on these shirts roll up and are held in place with button loops. Shoulders on the size large fit me perfectly and tail is plenty long enough to tuck in and stay there. Also has ventilation under armpits and vent strip across the back below the shoulders. The fabric is 90% polyester and 10% spandex so it won't be shrinking a micron after wash. I know, I know, it sounds like something a sissy bike riding soccer mom would wear but by gawd these shirts are comfortable! Feels like I'm wearing nothing. And looks great. Not sure who makes the two camo patterns but they are excellent (I bought one of each), especially the Tru-Timber Strata which will fit in just fine in South Africa. How durable? Maybe these will need to be babied a bit. I'm hanging mine to dry after washing rather than toss in the dryer. I love the feel of these shirts so much I haven't stopped wearing them since they left the store. Even to church!

      I think these are discontinued model so selection might be tough. Better hurry. WARNING: If you don't have long arms, these might not be for you. Better try one on if in doubt.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14895.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	706898
      Just don't sit too close to the camp fire.

      Comment


      • #4
        Couple years ago I found a similar shirt at Walmart, of all places. Pretty much fits all the aspects of your description, and I too have turned it into my main hunting and fishing shirt. Sounds like mine is a little heavier than yours, though -- which is fine, just makes it a good shirt to work into the wintertime layering. Another thing I like is that it has vertical-slash pockets instead of horizontal -- with zippers, no less.

        It's nice when you find something good where you didn't expect to.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          Couple years ago I found a similar shirt at Walmart, of all places. Pretty much fits all the aspects of your description, and I too have turned it into my main hunting and fishing shirt. Sounds like mine is a little heavier than yours, though -- which is fine, just makes it a good shirt to work into the wintertime layering. Another thing I like is that it has vertical-slash pockets instead of horizontal -- with zippers, no less.

          It's nice when you find something good where you didn't expect to.
          Glad you brought that up. I forgot to mention this shirt also has one vertical zippered pocket behind the left chest patch pocket. Zipper is mostly concealed behind the seam on right side of patch pocket so I didn't even notice the hidden pocket till I pulled the shirt out of the wash and saw its compartment on inside.

          Yes, Jimbo, this is not a shirt for firefighting! Sounds like I won't be getting close to any campfires at this lodge anyway. Or at the trap club.

          Comment


          • #6
            I like all my shirts to have double outside pockets, fastened with velcro.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
              I like all my shirts to have double outside pockets, fastened with velcro.
              I hate Velcro!! The fuzzy size wears out in short order and the hook side grabs all kinds of crap: weed seeds, lint, thread, dog hair (a lot of that!!) to the point where it becomes dysfunctional altogether. Only thing I hate worse is magnetic closures. They grab the gun, shotgun shells, pens, anything you don't want them to stick to. Old style buttons are hard to beat. Good quality snaps are still a mainstay in my book. These shirts have large size invisible snaps on the back side of both corners of the patch pockets flaps. Not easy to snap close, but not real hard either.

              Comment


              • #8
                Velcro works fine with me. I guess I don't spend as much time rolling around in the weeds as I used to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                  Velcro works fine with me. I guess I don't spend as much time rolling around in the weeds as I used to.
                  I'm guessing you don't have three dogs to roll around with either. Constantly opening and closing (like coat cuffs and cargo pockets) wears out the fuzzy side of Velcro in short order. Once the strip becomes frayed and overly fuzzy, it won't hold. You can trim the excess back with sizzors and it will catch again for a while but not very well. Eventually too much fuzz is lost and it becomes pretty much useless. Similarly, the hook side can be cleaned with a fine needle and a lot of patient effort pulling out the debris, threads, hair, etc. one at a time, but there is no help for the fuzzy side once it loses its fuzz. Replace the Velcro or the coat. Snaps and buttons last forever. Zero maintenance. Velcro was all the rage for hunting coat closures years ago. No one makes them that way any longer. There's a reason.

                  Comment

                  Welcome!

                  Collapse

                  Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                  If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                  And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                  Right Rail 1

                  Collapse

                  Top Active Users

                  Collapse

                  There are no top active users.

                  Right Rail 2

                  Collapse

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  • Obstruction Question !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                    Today, 10:41 AM
                  • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                    Today, 06:43 PM
                  • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                    by buckhunter
                    Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                    Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                  • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                    by Solitario Lupo
                    So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                    Today, 06:20 PM
                  • Peripheral Vision
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                    Today, 07:39 AM

                  Right Rail 3

                  Collapse

                  Footer Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X