New Boots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Boots

Looking for a better hiking boot than Danner this year. Local sports shop has some good options. Lowa Tibets and Caminos, Scarpa Kinesis Pro, Salomon Quests? Anyone have experience with these?
    Looking for a general on and off trail boot.

Timberlands and Columbia are my go to. Still got my goretex timberlands. There pushing a couple years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonious Fulmination View Post
      Looking for a better hiking boot than Danner this year. Local sports shop has some good options. Lowa Tibets and Caminos, Scarpa Kinesis Pro, Salomon Quests? Anyone have experience with these?
      Lowa is generally considered a quality boot. Use the KISS method, the one that fits & feels the best is probably a good choice. Is the tread pattern different on all of them ?

Comment

Better than Danner? You've got to be kidding, right?

I have three pair of Danner hunting boots and two pair of their 8-inch safety toe work boots. One pair of hunting boots is insulated and kept my feet nice and warm this past season. Another lightweight hunting pair was my first Danner's and have lasted me 10 years. They still remain my primary hiking boots. They've performed very well in both desert and swamp conditions with packs 50+ lbs. The Gore-Tex remains intact with no leakage.

The two pair of work boots are the 8-inch uppers with leather lined in Gore-Tex. One pair is for working around the house and the other is for use in papermills. These are comfortable for 12+ hours per day, 7 days per week.
        Last edited by PigHunter; 03-17-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Lowa is generally considered a quality boot. Use the KISS method, the one that fits & feels the best is probably a good choice. Is the tread pattern different on all of them ?
          All except the Salomons use different types of Vibram outsoles.
          Sounds like a good principle.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            Better than Danner? You've got to be kidding, right?

I have three pair of Danner hunting boots and two pair of their 8-inch safety toe work boots. One pair of hunting boots is insulated and kept my feet nice and warm this past season. Another lightweight hunting pair was my first Danner's and have lasted me 10 years. They still remain my primary hiking boots. They've performed very well in both desert and swamp conditions with packs 50+ lbs. The Gore-Tex remains intact with no leakage.

The two pair of work boots are the 8-inch uppers with leather lined in Gore-Tex. One pair is for working around the house and the other is for use in papermills. These are comfortable for 12+ hours per day, 7 days per week.
            I've been using Powderhorns all this winter. They're pretty good.
            Their lighterweight hunting options (like the High Grounds which were the last type I was using) haven't impressed me. They just exude a sense of...mediocrity. A lot can change in 10 years.

Comment

Well, as far as style and sense of quality, that is indeed a subjective thing. I'll be interested in what you ultimately choose. It's about time for me to start looking at new hiking shoes too.

Comment

I generally buy Danner or Irish Setter boots when I can find them on clearance, and have had good luck with many Cabela’s branded boots as well.
                That said I’m going to start keeping an eye out for deals on Meindl and Asolo boots, as well as Kenetrek, Crispi and Lowa.

Rokslide is a good forum to check out for info and Sierra Trading Post has deals on all kinds of clothing, albeit close outs and discontinued stuff.

Comment

I've been using Powderhorns all this winter. They're pretty good.
                  Their lighterweight hunting options (like the High Grounds which were the last type I was using) haven't impressed me. They just exude a sense of...mediocrity. A lot can change in 10 years.
                  Pig Hunter: unfortunately the Danner Pronghorn and Sharptail models rarely last more than 2 - 3 years. The main use is for bird hunting. I use the Danner waterproof product as well as Obenhauf's but they just don't hold up. I even rotate pairs in an attempt to keep them in good shape.
                  With my foot issues and orthotic inserts they are the brand I find most comfortable.....so it is kind of a lose/win situation.

Comment

My luck has been better with Danner. The first pair are approaching 10 years old. Unfortunately, that lightweight style has been discontinued. I used them as my primary field boots for years. They are wearing out at the soles though and probably wouldn't have lasted so long if not for mainly walking on leaves and pinestraw

Comment

Tried on Scarpa Kenisis Pros and Kailashs, and Lowa Rangers, Caminos and Tibets.
                      Think I'll go with the Caminos.

Comment

Tried on Scarpa Kenisis Pros and Kailashs, and Lowa Rangers, Caminos and Tibets.
                        Think I'll go with the Caminos.
                        So you plan on hiking fast with those Caminos ? It was a speedy vehicle back in the day 😋

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          My luck has been better with Danner. The first pair are approaching 10 years old. Unfortunately, that lightweight style has been discontinued. I used them as my primary field boots for years. They are wearing out at the soles though and probably wouldn't have lasted so long if not for mainly walking on leaves and pinestraw
                          I had two pair of Danner from 15 years ago ( more maybe ) that my youngest son has. Because of better construction the soles can be replaced vs the ones today that are glued on.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

I had two pair of Danner from 15 years ago ( more maybe ) that my youngest son has. Because of better construction the soles can be replaced vs the ones today that are glued on.
                            I checked into that with Danner for my older pair of work boots. The cost would have been 50% of the price of a new pair.

Comment

My boots sprung a leak during deer season. We had rain for several days and I did not have a back up pair of boots. Picked up a pair of Itaska boots from Tractor Supply. About $75. I like them, waterproof and very lite and comfortable.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Do you use a walking stick?
                                by PigHunter
                                Do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, what do you prefer? Is it something you've made or is it store-bought?

Do you use trekking...
                                07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
                              • Reply to Do you use a walking stick?
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Flagging tape holds a knot better than slippery paracord (which isn't saying much because that crap won't hold a knot worth beans). It's not as strong...
                                Today, 08:07 AM
                              • Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by FirstBubba
                                Let's not forget the chant, "Death to America!", burning American flags and presidential effigys.
                                Irans' burning desire to wipe Israel...
                                Today, 07:58 AM
                              • News Flash
                                by jhjimbo
                                anybody worth $15.00 an hour is probably already making $15.00 an hour.
                                Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X